Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

March 29, 2015
Was freaking weird at first but then it was like ok yeah, i like dis.
½ September 14, 2014
A silly and bombastic musical with a performance by Nicole Kidman that steals the whole film but Ewan McGregor is still great. I'm not the biggest fan of musicals because they are usually cheesy and make me cringe but this movie's visuals and gleefully over the top attitude made me like it.
March 9, 2015
A quirky, and clunky bohemian experience with musical numbers taken from modern pop that are classied-up and made surprisingly better than expected. I'd recommend Moulin Rouge for anyone who wants a true romance film without a lot of sex.
November 1, 2012
February 21, 2015
The show must go one!

A poor writer in Paris stumbles into a cabaret where he is mistaken for a duke that is supposedly on the way to the cabaret the same night. The lead temptress and writer accidentally falls in love...and then the duke arrives. The owner of the cabaret and the temptress convince the duke that the cabaret is in the middle of converting to the most over the top play production in the world and he can't help but invest and be part of their vision. He decides to move forward with the investment and a fascinating love triangle breaks out between the writer, temptress, and duke.

"Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself...it always ends bad!"

Baz Luhrmann, director of The Great Gatsby, Australia, Romeo + Juliet, and Strictly Ballroom, delivers Moulin Rouge. The storyline for this picture was very unique and a nice blend of music numbers, beautiful sets, wonderful acting, and unpredictable sequences. I adored the performances by the cast members which include Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh, and Jacek Koman.

"He called them his diamond dogs."

I grabbed this movie off HBOGO as a movie I was ashamed to have never seen. I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised by this film and it might be my favorite work by Luhrmann. The scenes, colors, and visuals were breathtaking and I loved the story (very much like Romeo + Juliet). This is a masterpiece that is worth adding to your DVD collection!

"The bohemian revolution is here!"

Grade: A+
½ February 21, 2015
This film was real visual treat. It had insane and very colorful set ideas that brought it to life. The music was great as well especially in the first half when everything is bright and colorful. As the story progresses the scenery gets darker as well as the sounding of the music. My jaw couldn't help but drop every time we were in the Moulin Rouge or when it flew to some fantasy land far away. That being said it isn't for everyone. With all these effects it can at times draw away from the story and be very unrealistic which is why i wouldn't recommend the film to everyone, but since that is my cup of tea i was thrilled. Moving on to the story, it was the usual sort of love triangle guy falls in love with hot girl, but this rich dude is also in love with her and she has to pretend she doesn't love the normal one to save him. I rolled my eyes a lot when all the beautiful scenery was taken away and we were just left with this overused storyline. But, Moulin Rouge offers great sort of satire on what it is like to fall in love with a dancer/prostitute and the whole show must go on quote. In the end Moulin Rouge is filled with dazzling colors and life that leave you out of breath along with a weak but heartbreaking story that ends leaving you out of breath to recuperate from the last two amazing hours. Overall it is one of the best movies i have seen in a good while.
February 18, 2015
Didn't think I'd ever sit through this film, yet, thanks to my girlfriend, here I went, and to my surprise, I really liked it.. Musicals are very rarely something I enjoy, but this was put together really well.. Felt like I was watching Romeo + Juliet for a while, had a strong influence from there I'm guessing, oh wait, it was done by the same guy wasn't it.. there we go.
½ January 4, 2011
Over-the-top and long-living.
January 29, 2015
Luhrmann's OTT style has rarely been better used than here. Full review later.
January 28, 2015
Strong acting, powerful art direction, and an amazing story. Moulin Rouge is powerful with its very odd and fast pace elements. There was a lot of singing, but it wasn't as much as Les Mis. The style is outstanding, but the film is too ambitious for its own good. Moulin Rouge is the "Lady Gaga" of musicals with its odd style, confusing yet meaningful story, and outstanding visuals.
½ December 1, 2010
One of The Best Films I have ever seen!!!!
A beautifully executed masterpiece! A classic that like a fine wine, gets better & better with age. A -
wonderfully tragic poem to Love.
January 12, 2015
Never in my life did I think I would be sitting down on my couch during a sick day saying to myself, "I think I will give this musical a shot." I did however, and it was pretty dang good.
January 8, 2015
One of the greatest movies I've ever seen
December 30, 2014
Moulin Rouge is weird yet good....
½ September 28, 2014
MOULIN ROUGE is directed by Baz Luhmann and stars Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor and Jim Broadbent. It revolves around a melancholy, lonely writer who tells the "story of love" as he calls it and how it would live on forever.

The film starts off with Christian (McGregor), with a freshly shaven handsome face doing a small segment of a kooky, loud play he is coming up with called Spectacular Spectacular. Turns out, he can sing his heart out and it doesn't sound forced. Then, he goes on in Moulin Rouge in Paris where a cabaret show is going on. It's very over-the-top and off, but it is supposed to be. With a showy musical segment, Satine, (Kidman) comes into the picture. She's breathy, kind and exuberant. Like Christian, she can sing to the heavens. When she mistakes him as the Duke, she takes him to her room and whips her hair, rolls around dramatically and strangely invites him for sexual relations but he's too nervous. You can tell they have an instant connection and this goes very well with the sound of music and dialogue. After an intense number, Christian, in the moment, truthfully reveals that he isn't a Duke and while Satine is shocked for awhile and tells him to hide while the actual Duke pops in, she slowly begins a real connection with him but she faints for the second time, obviously leading to something being wrong with her (an illness). The Duke pops up and catches them but they convince him that they are reciting the lines for Spectacular Spectacular. During another musical number, they explain the plot of the play and how Satine can become a real actress.

Luhmann makes MOULIN ROUGE shine as bright as the sun. Everything is gorgeous; the production set, the costumes, the make up and the visual atmosphere. It's as visually dazzling as The Great Gatsby. He directs this with vibrant colors and lets the actors loosely do their job in a very fun way.

Kidman never has a dull moment and stays strong from her entrance to her exit. She is so sultry and beautiful but vulnerable and youthful in this that she inhabits Satine's inner core as a hopeful woman living in a seemingly hopeless reality. It's very aristocratic and angelic.

McGregor is in one of his best roles, on the level of Trainspotting. He portrays Christian as a deeply depressed man that feels betrayed by life perhaps that took away his love and the only thing that kept him going. He is so real, heartbreaking that I was surprised that he wasn't given the acclaim Kidman had received.

Broadbent, as well as many of the other supporting characters, is very enhanced in his role as Zidler. He's quiet at first but very aggressive and silly but not sinister like the Duke.

The story may not be entirely original, but it is very engrossing and engaging with blunders of love and music. The best line in the film is, "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and to be loved in return." It sparks magic as Toullous screams it at the top of his lungs to a full house. MOULIN ROUGE is either a love it or hate it movie, but I certainly loved it through and through especially with its improvement on the third act.
December 28, 2014
Did a really good job in being a movie about love, but not really my thing. Had a few fun and original musical scenes, which I enjoyed.
December 21, 2014
A truly excellent and wholly entertaining musical.
December 20, 2014
The "Romeo + Juliet" director reused some power from the latter and put it into the zany style of the film editing process and the visually stylish cinematography and left the stars to give it they got in their singing voices to power up their performances - resulted to be a smart move when on the director's chair to direct an original musical that'd enhanced his skills and given him a new layer of style to try out another time. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ December 3, 2014
I can't believe that the critics rated this piece of meretricious garbage higher than the 1953 film about Toulouse Lautrec, by the same name.
November 24, 2014
one of my all-time favorite movies! beautiful medley of songs! love Ewan McGreggor and Nicole Kidman. and love Baz Luhrmann's signature style!