71% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Scooby-Doo Reviews

Phil H

January 12, 2012
I saw this on its theatrical release mainly out of morbid curiosity really and even back then it was pretty damn poor. About the only thing they got right in the film is the casting of Lillard for 'Shaggy' who seems to have been born for the role. Rowan Atkinson must have been bribed with tonnes of cash to star in this crap.

The rest of the film is a terrible mess of horrendously bad CGI, unfunny attempts at humour that even the kids would roll their eyes at and a very shoddy look and feel all round with obvious sets and cheap costumes. This classic creation has been dragged into the modern age with various hideous modernisations including your obligatory rap/hip hop soundtrack that seems to come with most kids films these days for some reason. Alongside so many other god awful scenes it no longer bares much resemblance to the original cult creation.

I dunno why they couldn't go with a more sensible approach and a slightly more genuine ghost story. The cartoons were silly yes but still reasonably coherent and actually quite spooky for kids, but spooky in an enjoyable way. This film is basically just trash...and since when was 'Scrappy' a bad guy?!.

I mean seriously, could you possibly cast anyone more inappropriate for the role of 'Fred' than Freddie Prinze Jr?!!. Was he cast because his name is Fred too?? for Gods sake lets try and make an effort people!.

As usual with so many film adaptations these days, stick with the original material. This whole venture just feels hokey and uncomfortable from the start, it could be an OK movie but drowned in vacuous pop culture references and needless cameos makes a mockery of the entire idea.
Nicki M

January 2, 2008
Yeah, it's bad, and generally I hate kids movies, but I liked the cartoons growing up and Sarah Michelle makes a pretty good Daphne and Linda a good Valma, and of course, a younger Isla fisher here as Mary Jane.
It's far from my favourite, but it is cute, and I do own a copy (sshhh).
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
Original movie in their adaptation of the cartoon. Great cast. The gang go to Spooky island to investigate strange goings on.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
Love it so much! (:
Alexander D

July 9, 2011
I have always loved and respected Scooby-Doo and Mystery, Inc., but I'd have to say that to give this live-action adaptation even one and a half stars is quite generous of me.

If you're thinking this will be like the classic cartoon series, clichéd but still fun anyway, you are wrong on so many disappointing levels. It doesn't take much to say that the cast for SCOOBY-DOO was talented--Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Fred and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne--but it's rather the screenwriter for this who needs a lobotomy. He wrote the most idiotic double entendres in here that had no relation to the classic kids' show at all (for example, Scooby and Shaggy are in the van "grilling veggie burgers" when the UN-targeted audience knows for sure that they're using drugs because of the rest of the stuff in the scene); and stuff that's supposed to be funny, but really makes no sense (for instance, Shaggy putting a bonnet on Scooby and claiming it's "his grandma" on the plane with him--!?).

I just think whoever wrote this for the screen just totally screwed up what could have easily been a fun, wild family adventure. Now, it's a catastrophe (sorry--DOG-astrophe), and kids won't laugh at it, but at least their parents will be a little creeped out. ZOINKS!
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
It was ok!
Marc L.
Marc L.

March 23, 2011
I HATED Scooby Doo. I really did. The monsters were always, fake, there was never a mystery Velma couldn't solve, and the episode always ended with that annoying "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids" But even Scooby Doo fans have to agree with me that this movie sucked.

The only good I can think of was that the guy who played Shaggy did a good job. That's all I have for you people.

The worst thing about it might have been the humor. This might be the most unfunny thing you've ever seen. When the humor wasn;t incredibly immature (There is a scene where Shaggy and Scooby have a fart contest) it's incredibly child innapropriate (There is one scene that talks about Scooby's...God I can;t even say it) it makes Baby Geniuses look like Happy Gilmore

The plot was pretty stupid too. I mean come on! Demons are possessing students and using them to take over the world? What? And Scrappy is there evil master. Absolutley not.

This movie also has several unnecesary scenes that are just taking up space .(See "Our friends have been kidnapped")I don;t know why they are there. Maybe just to make the movie longer.

But the worst thing about it? They made a sequel. And it was even WORSE!!!
deano
deano

November 23, 2006
Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Inc. rock and bring an amazing family adventure in this live-action film based on the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon series.
Matthew Lillard reproduces perfectly the attitude of the animated character as Shaggy and his capacity to make you believe in the virtual Scooby-Doo is very impressive: when he's with him, you feel like if the dog was really on the set. The duo's perfect.
Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. have a very communicative energy. Even if the role of Daphne was written with Buffy references, Gellar succeeds in preserving the essence of the character.
And the last but not the least, Linda Cardellini delivers an outstanding performance as Velma. She took the animated character and managed to make her more human, funnier and even touching by bringing all sorts of irresistible details.
I love the outstanding fight scenes between Daphne and Zarkos, the wrestler - Daphne's superb and reminds me of my favourite TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 2, 2011
Hated this movie, ruined the show
Gregory D

January 12, 2011
Casting couldn't have made a better choice of Shaggy than Matthew Lillard.
michael e.
michael e.

December 21, 2010
its no masterpiece like the second movie but it had great comedy acting and effects the muscle growth scene is pretty funny and fantastic to look at
Richard C

June 25, 2010
not very good. C-
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 11, 2007
The fact that Scrappy is the villain makes up for it.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
A funny adaptation to the great TV series!
Jason O

September 10, 2009
Just plain hilarious. Grew up watching and loving the cartoon, and loved this movie too. Would love to own....buy it for me!
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
blerg
Kyle F.
Kyle F.

July 12, 2009
When I first saw this movie as a young boy, I thought it was fantastic. I now know how wrong I was. "Scooby-Doo" does nothing but make fun of Mystery Inc and make them look as stupid as possible. It tries to imitate the classic traditions of the show, but just looks gimmicky. It has several good jokes, and it's a bit fun to watch, but it also makes you feel sick.
Chris G

March 4, 2008
CGI butchering of a classic cartoon that has been milked beyond recognition itself. Scooby translates terribly to film, but at least kids like it.
Dean !

December 30, 2006
I was very surprised but this is fun for all ages! The cast for the film was spot on and Lillard and Cardellini sound so like Shaggy and Velma it's uncanny.
Lafe F

June 21, 2007
It just did not seem like the spooky Scooby Doo cartoon which I fondly remember watching on Saturday morning. The CGI dog and actors were decent enough, but I did not like the story, which was set on a tropical island. Something more conventional like a haunted house would've been a better place to start with this big-screen treatment.