The Rookie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rookie Reviews

½ July 10, 2013
Filled with very solid performances by the entire cast, "The Rookie" presents the true story of a man who grew up as a kid, moving around with his family and being driven away from his dreams in baseball. When his family finally finds a final resting place, he must live his life there, isolated from baseball and focussing on dirty work and family. Once the opportunity to teach and coach a house-league baseball team arises, he does not hesitate. This sparks people to talk about how good of a pitcher this coach is, and his career escalates from there. Like I said, the acting is great, the story is presented very well, the script is solid, and the direction is nice and tender. "The Rookie" may not be the best baseball film of all time, but it is a very solid effort/entry into the genre.
June 12, 2011
The Rookie is one of the few sports films that really doesn't do anything for me. The film is overly cliched and is more irritating and boring than anything else. I saw this film made it on the list of worst sports movies ever made. I can understand why. The film is very poorly written, the acting is terrible, the plot is predictable and Dennis Qaids kid in the film is irritating as hell. But its normal for a Disney film. That's to be expected. I thought the film was really a chore to finish, the only reason that I have this is because it came as a two pack packaged with a film that I wanted. I thought this film would be good, it wasn't. Sometimes a story with lots of cliches can be interesting and fun, when the script is well written, and the cast is good. But thats not the case with The Rookie. The Rookie tries too hard at being a feel good film, and instead it misses the mark, big time. Theres little interest in the film to be had 40 minutes in and the film feels sloppy, and poorly made. The Rookie could have been a great film, but it uses the usual feel good movie formula in such a bad way that the film is laughable. If you're looking for one of the worst feel good sports films, then The Rookie is that film. Boring, predictable and so poorly made all you want to do after watching this film is forget about it.
½ August 8, 2010
Life is perfect, isn't it? There are no hitches, and it just moves along perfectly. That's how life is, right? Well, maybe in a Disney movie, but that's not what makes a good film. When you think about it, it's the ups and downs in characters' lives that makes movies interesting. Who cares if this guy's life is perfect? It's boring. Yeah, it's based on a true story, so they couldn't do much about it, but they really should have taken some creative license with this one, because watching this guy have success at everything he does with absolutely no failure is not interesting. It's boring. Plain and simple. Not to mention that it seemed that half the movie was Quaid's kid smiling at his daddy. Though Quaid does what he can with the poorly-written role he's given, the film still sucks.
½ January 25, 2007
great, one of the great sports flicks
½ June 5, 2007
I'm a pretty big fan of Dennis Quaid so I watched it. It was pretty good. Not really original but it was nice to see.
June 11, 2007
I'm not going to lie... I shed a tear or two.
½ July 6, 2007
Another good family movie from Disney. It is very inspirational.
November 1, 2007
Hard not to like even though it's oozing schmaltz and woefully predictable.
January 1, 2010
Truly compelling and honest emotional films are really hard to come by these days mostly due to the fact that good old fashioned family values and inspirational stories take a backseat to dark and gritty crime dramas and murder mysteries. But John Lee Hancock's "The Rookie" proves that films like that are not dead.

"The Rookie" is the inspiring and heartwarming true story of Jimmy Morris, a high school science teacher and coach of a small town team that's had a bad season. So coach Morris makes a bet with his team that if they win the championship he would try out for a major league team. Well his team wins and now Morris has to uphold his end of the bargain and tryout for a team, but little does he or anyone else know is that Jimmy Morris is about to become the oldest and most unlikely rookie.

It's a film that literally will make you stand up and cheer, it will touch every fiber of your soul and every inch of your heart. "The Rookie" may seem like a run of the mill, seen it before sports film but trust me it's not. No this film is something more and it's something that must be experienced to truly believe the amazing power that it exudes and the extreme depth of emotion and character that is in it makes more of a great example of Disney magic and film making at it's finest.

Dennis Quaid gives the performance of a lifetime as the high school coach turned MLB all star, Quaid's performance is skillful, powerful, emotional and honest. He gives his all and then some to the part and to the film and it shows. All in all the cast does amazing in this film and play out there parts well in this brilliant and up lifting film.

"The Rookie" is a fun, enjoyable, smart and well mounted film that has it's heart in it's right place and it's game on the right track. It's a must see film that shows that no matter how old you are you still can make your dreams come true.
½ May 20, 2007
Meh, It was another predictable Disney junk.
½ January 15, 2008
Great script for a real-life plot. Many touching scenes and speeches. Although Quaid doesn't look like Morris, he certainly has the portrait of heart and soul of Morris.
August 18, 2012
11/25/04 - The Rookie is another one of those inspirational sports stories (like Rudy, Remember the Titans, or Miracle). It is a pretty amazing story that you wouldn't buy at all if not for the fact that it is true. Dennis Quaid did a good job.
½ February 9, 2012
My favorite baseball movie of all time !! The story of Jim Morris , his family , his HS team & the dreams , hopes & determination they've experienced . This movies only fault is it's too short , should be longer !
March 1, 2010
This is the type of movie I like to watch when I think everything's going against me and I just don't have what it takes to make it. Based on a true story about a man who thought he had missed his chance in life, but who wanted the kids he coached to do better than him. Just as he inspired them to achieve beyond their wildest dreams, so did they end up inspiring him to achieve his dream.

HIGHLY recommended.
January 5, 2010
This is a cookie cutter feel good sports movie, and it does it well. There was nothing bad I can say about the movie other than it doesn?t do anything too original beyond its premise, which is a true story. Everything is well done and you can really identify with the characters.

I will say it again, even before I watched Far From Heaven, Dennis Quaid is an underrated actor. He never fails to deliver, just acts in some crap from time to time.
July 26, 2009
Shot around the area, this is one of teh better baseball movies right there with Field of Dreams and The Sandlot..
May 29, 2009
Based after a true story. Something everyone wishes would happen to them. We just havent found it yet
March 2, 2009
This movie is flat out awesome. Everytime I watch it, well, it makes me cry. I've seen it more times than I can remember and if I watched it tonight it would make me cry again. It's just one of those really good movies.
November 1, 2007
kindove kool.

this movie was so good. i liked it so much! well it was sort of boring and stuff. i watched it at school when all of the studends who are super good by never geting rifurals went to thiese feeld trips, but i had to stay in school with some guys and some girls and watch this movie. then we watched freedom writers but we did not finish it.
note to people that love baseball: you totaly should watch this movie. you will love this movie.:)xoxo.
June 9, 2008
A true story in which seems like it could only happen in the movies. It also explains why the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were so bad for so long.