Pinocchio Reviews

May 6, 2011
Criative, strong and the best Pinocchio film that I ver saw.
½ August 3, 2007
Gosh, what a piece of pretentious guffaw-inducing celluloid. Benigni doesn't fit the Pinocchio role well. He's not cute or funny - he's a bit of a buffoon. There's no magic here; move along!
Dracula787
November 27, 2009
This is not the Disney movie, but rather the 2002 Italian version made by Roberto Benigni. This was savaged in its initial run because of the daft decision to release it in a dubbed version that didn?t even have Benigni doing the voice over. I watched the subtitled version, but this really is still a pretty flawed movie without the dubbing. To the movie?s credit, the production design is quite good and as a whole this is a good visual movie. The story is meant to be a lot closer to the original book, which means there are a lot of, shall we say eccentric, bits of fairy tale silliness throughout. There was something good to be salvaged here but what scuttles the movie is the decision to cast Benigni, a fifty year old man, in the title role; there?s just something creepy about that. It also doesn?t help the Benigni does nothing to make it look like he?s made of wood.
½ September 11, 2007
Ew. This movie sucked in Italian and the dubbing on the English version was horrible!
May 20, 2010
people say this movie was horrible but it was beautful. This was great family movie when i was a little boy i saw both the live action Pinocchio in 2002 and the old cartoon one. you know the story about a wooden puppet who must learn his ways before he turns into a donkey.
½ March 23, 2009
Pinocchio is played by an ancient old man in this unintensionally disturbing Benigni remake in 2002. Nobody told the guy that if he's an old man he cannot play a little boy, much less one made of wood who becomes a boy. Wow. Just horrid.
½ April 16, 2015
This is the worst adaptation of The Adventures of Pinocchio or any other children's fairy tale book in general. In fact, it shouldn't even be considered an adaptation. This movie does everything wrong.
June 8, 2014
I get that it's creepy but that was how Carlo Collodi wrote the original story. It's not well made but it fits the original story, even if Roberto Benigni's performance is laughable.
July 21, 2014
A shit-dripping mess on all of society.
½ April 10, 2011
If I could give it a 0, I would.
½ April 27, 2014
I'd never be willing to give negative reviews to foreign movies, but this one is truly just an atrocity.
March 16, 2014
I can't believe Roberto Benigni is in this movie...
½ February 21, 2014
Horrendous. Benigni shows no restraint as he, a fifty year old Italian man, plays Pinocchio, turns his emotions and actions up to eleven, hopping around the sets and other actors, unfettered, as he rightfully wins his Razzie Award for Worst Actor. His performance is enough to sink the movie, but it's topped with sloppy dubbing and terrible writing. Avoid this like the plague; rent the 1940 version instead.
January 24, 2014
Just a bad movie. Please Pass on this film.
December 14, 2013
Let me just open up this review by saying I actually saw the Italian Dubbed version of the film. I've heard a lot of people say the English Dub of Pinocchio is actually a lot worse. Still, I think either way I can definitely say this movie is pretty bad. In fact, it's terrible from beginning to end. The acting is over the top, the writing is amateurish, the film looks like it was shot on a 2 million Dollar Budget and most importantly Roberto Benigni has just showed us he doesn't know how to do a proper adaptation. Let's dive into a very creepy version of the classic tale, Pinocchio.

I first must start off with one of the craziest casting ideas in cinema history, Roberto Benigni as Pinocchio . Who's bright idea was that? I mean I know he was the director of the film ,but I had no idea he actually was allowed to portray a role that would better suit a child. This might be a nitpick issue, but this casting choice really is distracting. When you put someone close to their 50's in a role that is for obviously a child, no one whether it be the audience or the critics can suspend their disbelief that far. And the way he portrays this character really is annoying to listen to. Not only is Benigni overacting the entire time, but he really is annoying when trying to act like a child he obviously has no idea how real children act. Maybe Pinocchio in the book act this way, but you don't have to annoying the living crap out of us in the process.

Now this movie is based off of a story that is magical and quite creative. However, the entire I was watching this movie I knew I was looking at a set more than half the time. Also, anytime Pinocchio's nose grows or when he starts to turn into a donkey the effects are not believable at all. Really, this movie looks so low budget and it's also really distracting. Well, maybe not as distracting as a middle aged man in PJS acting like a child on Drugs.

The huge issue I have with this movie is that it tries so hard to both be very dark and very lighthearted at the same time. Don't get me wrong, this can work but not in an adaptation like Pinocchio. Take the Disney version for example, it just went into a lighthearted kids film and that worked very well. But you can't stay true to the dark version of the book and make it very bright and colorful. You would have to go one way or the other. Basically, Benigni wanted to make a film that would appeal to everyone which in turn turned out to be a movie no one can enjoy.

I know what Benigni was trying to do, but really this movie is a very complicated mess. The acting and writing in it is a joke. If you want a better adaptation, just see the Disney version of Pinocchio.
October 27, 2013
Benigni's follow up to the Oscar winner La Vita ť Bella is a disastrously expansive flick where everything is not measured well, everything is overwhelming and sometimes even laughable. Furthermore, Benigni as the young living marionette may have semed the right kind of bizarre casting a few years before the film was produced, but in 2002 it was already too late for him to play such a part.
August 13, 2013
Creepy, unfunny and just plain terrible.
July 24, 2013
A film that tries to be enchanting, whimsical, and interesting only comes off as creepy, irritating and bland
July 11, 2013
Want to see how bad it really is. It's 0% on RT.
½ May 19, 2013
Whatever Roberto Benigni was trying to achieve while doing this, I don't get it. Pinocchio is an unfunny, silly vanity project.