Devdas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devdas Reviews

April 19, 2010
"Where will I find again my lost innocence... my lost dreams... my lost childhood? Where has the shade of trees gone, where I made myself a home?" -Devdas

This is like the 3rd or 4th Bollywood movie I've seen. I gotta say it was absolutely spectacular. I'm a sucker for romances and this one delivers in all aspects. I couldn't get enough of it after watching it. I was going to go to sleep but I managed to stay up until 6am and watched it all the way through (3 hours+!!).
March 27, 2007
A tragic love story is universal.
½ December 13, 2012
Spectacular colors, sets, costumes, music... must have cost a fortune to produce. The lovely Aishwarya Rai is absolutely stunningly gorgeous. This is quite possibly one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen... I wanted to give it less stars because it is so tragic and hopeless but you can't deny its power, its message, and its lasting effect.
½ July 18, 2009
Really long, and I didn't feel anything for the characters. It is a beautiful film to look at, the colors are vivid.
iLeo
December 16, 2007
Here is an interesting movie that centralizes around the greatest component most tragedies/epic-dramas are made of: unrequited love. Here is a story that circulates the various intertwining components: Self-sacrifice. Denial. Misery and anguish. Paro (Parvati) and Devdas have always been the best of friends, despite being from different caste. Inseparable from childhood, the two have a deep form of love that survives the ten years Devdas had been sent away to London. Paro, knowing that he would return one day, has always kept a candle lit each and every day. On his return, they hoped to cement their love and marry. A jealous sister-in-law, and a bitter mother separates the two indefinitely by embarrassing Paro's mother and her family at a formal celebration. Paro's mother decides to marry her daughter to a wealthier family which further deepens the separation. Devdas refusing to obey the wishes of his family, is cast out and leaves Paro behind. Forsaking their love in a letter, Paro decides to obey her mother?s wishes and marries. Realizing his great mistake, Devdas hurries home to find that Paro is about to marry and tries to convince her to break off her engagement. Insisting it is too late, Paro marries and moves off to the home of her new family. Devdas leaves, and with the help of an old college friend, begins to drink heavily to forget Paro. After a near-death experience, Devdas is saved by a beautiful courtesan named Chandramukhi. She is initially entranced by Devdas, and empathizes with his despair. Willfully patient, Chandramukhi continues to help Devdas. Knowing that Paro and Devdas still love each other deeply, Chandramukhi continues to hope that one day Devdas could return her love. Amazingly beautiful music! Remarkable dance sequences. Great cast- Aishwarya Rai, Shahrukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, Kiron Kher, and Jackie Shroff. Worth seeing!
FanGirl
June 7, 2007
Great musical numbers and visually beautiful. What I don't get is why these beautiful women are drawn to such a mean man.
Joa
June 15, 2013
I love everything about this movie! The music, the costumes, the acting, the story, the cinematography...everything! Even though the movie is 3 hours long it is worth it. Definitely a must see for anyone who's a sucker for music, romance and bollywood!
½ June 10, 2008
A wonderful Bollywood film experience. I didn't love the ending, but it was the best ending considering the story.
½ January 17, 2012
Definitely one of the best Indian films I have ever seen. Even the songs didn't feel like they were interfering too much.
½ August 8, 2010
I wouldn't say it's original, but I was impressed. A bit long, though I can't think of anything that I would cut out of this one.
½ January 6, 2010
Devdas happens to one of the most expensive movies ever made in India. And it paid off. This movie was just drop dead gorgeous. The acting was fantastic. And generally, I like only 1 or 2 songs from a Bollywood movie, but I bought the soundtrack movie for this one because I enjoyed the dance numbers so much. This film fleshed out what was a small story and had been done before. Yes, it's extravagant, yes it's obvious it's dripping in money, and yes, it's still a lengthy, typical Bollywood movie. But it's more serious and poetic, and the result is a stunning film with timeless love story. Sanjay Leela Bhansali had hoped this film would garner a foreign Oscar, and though it didn't, it did at least have the partial makings for one.
½ September 9, 2009
I hated this movie the first time I saw it. I had just gotten back from somewhere--out of the country I think... and I watched this from around 2:30 AM to 5:30 AM before finally going to sleep. I was kind of stunned at the end. I think I watched it for the second time the next day and absolutely loved it. I have yet to find someplace (not online) to buy it, but I hope to have the soundtrack very soon. I think I might even like this better than Lagaan, the very first Bollywood film I ever saw.
August 8, 2009
Devdas has many distinctions within the world of film. Firstly, at the time of its production it was the most expensive Bollywood film ever (that has since been eclipsed.), and it is the only Bollywood film to ever be an official selection at the Cannes Film Festival. It also has the distinction of being number 83 on my 100 Greatest List.
Like all Bollywood films Devdas is a musical. It tells the story of a Bengal man who returns home from London to marry his childhood sweetheart Paro. Devdas is met with opposition from his father to this match. Out of spite to Devdas' parents Paro is married to a rich man, and Devdas begins his downward spiral.
The film combines great acting with outstanding technical work, and an amazing score. Shahrukh Khan gives a wonderful performance as Devdas. Aishwarya Rai (Bride & Prejudice) plays Devdas' childhood sweetheart Paro, with Madhuri Dixit as Chandramukhi, the courtesan who attempts to save Devdas from himself. The technical elements are also top notch. Cinematographer Binod Pradhan completely delivers on his end with lush shots. This is one of the most beautiful and vibrant films ever shot.

Bottom Line: **** If you can get your hands on a copy of Devdas do so. You won't regret buying this rich, beautiful, and epic musical which has its own distinct flavor.
May 29, 2009
This is an awesome movie. Ash looks her best here and so does Shah Rukh Khan! My two favorite actors!
February 3, 2009
my first bollywood film (after my girlfriend made me watch it) was a surprisingly pleasant experience. The rich colors and complex dance made up for the sometimes murky translation
December 21, 2008
Too long like most Hindi movies, but I enjoyed the melodrama and the heart breaking and teary story.
May 20, 2016
Ow some movie. SRK acting is fabulous Outstanding. best movie ever
April 13, 2016
The classic Bengali story and it did not disappoint. What a sad, sad story.
February 2, 2016
The lavish sets alienated the story from its source's time.
April 30, 2015
I thought Withering Heights was high drama but Devdas is even more melodramatic but in a good way. I wasn't going to watch a 3 hour movie in one sitting but I did.