Hafiš (The Sea) (Havet) Reviews

½ June 30, 2015
Now we know what life in Iceland is like. Dysfunctional people live in a hungover fog, perpetual gloom permeates the island which in 2002 was funneling money into financial assets to the neglect of the fishing industry. It was another Cyprus before the crash of 2007. The babes are beautiful but often drunk and the citizens have a high regard for Coca-Cola. It;s kind of a warped travelogue reminiscent of other 'Dystopia' genre films like the Russian '??????? ? ?????????' (Once Upon a Time in the Provinces').
November 4, 2012
Lot of stuff going on, I was able to follow (mostly) but again, not that interesting...
November 21, 2008
I love watching a bunch of spoiled brats in action...
October 25, 2008
This first Icelandic movie that I've seen is dark and edgy. Doesn't tell too much but luckily just enough to be interesting and thought-provoking. I liked it.
January 15, 2008
It gets 3 stars because it had crazy Icelandic people yelling their Satan language at each other the whole time. Otherwise, it's a 2.5 star film about kids hating Iceland and their Dad, and one guy humps his half cousin half sister in a frozen ocean and they act like it's no biggie. Too bad he'd not be able to breath, let alone get it up. Still, it's cool when this one scary lady picks up a cop with a fork lift and dumps him into the ocean.
½ November 11, 2003
Saw The Sea. Pretty disappointed. It's pretty much exactly the same movie as Festen (The Celebration) except it's set in Iceland, doesn't have the annoying Dogme camerawork, instead replacing it with a healthy dose of comedy. The comedy works, but the rest of the movie doesn't; as it progresses it becomes increasingly incoherent and structurally muddy. It's got all the conventions of the European movie about family: incest, alcoholism, troubled teens, a lot of pointless shouting... Meh.

My friend Dacres is coming back for the weekend. Let me tell you a little bit about Dacres: he's sort of a loud, hyperactive combo between Cosmo Kramer and The Dude. He moved to Sherbrooke (five hours from here) during the summer, but he keeps showing up periodically to see "the gang". He's super-spoiled by his parents so they let him do whatever he wants. In any case, the last time he came around he went to my other friend's house to "wash" and left three days later. I think this time around, however, he might take over my house. Too much Dacres can really drive somebody up the wall. He's a good guy, though, and I'm glad he's back all the time like this.

I forgot my (read: the school's) copy of 1984 on the city bus yesterday. Isn't that exciting?

Elliott Smith - Pitseleh

[i]I'll tell you why i don't want to know where you are
I got a joke i been dying to tell you
A silent kid is looking down the barrel
To make the noise that i kept so quiet
I kept it from you, pitseleh
I'm not what's missing from your life now
I could never be the puzzle pieces
They say that god makes problems
Just to see what you can stand
Before you do as the devil pleases
And give up the thing you love
But no one deserves it
The first time i saw you i knew it would never last
I'm not half what i wish i was
I'm so angry
I don't think it'll ever pass
And i was bad news for you just because
I never meant to hurt you[/i]

(Yes, I know the line in my title doesn't match the song. No, I don't care.)