The Outsider - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Outsider Reviews

½ January 2, 2016
Excellent movie. Wish it would be on again......
December 16, 2014
Being overlong and highly predictable didn't diminish my enjoyment of this Showtime Western. Naomi Watts gives a tremendous performance as a widow in a Mennonite-like community where outsiders are looked harshly upon. She takes in a gunslinger who has nearly died and allows him to stay until he is well (and beyond). I didn't feel much chemistry between Watts and Daly, but the performances overrode that. Worth seeking out.
December 26, 2013
I loved this movie, Naomi Watts, and Tim Daly were fantastic in it.
May 13, 2012
Naomi Watts did a great job and the chemistry was good between her and Tim Daly. Overall it probably could have been a little better but still enjoyable to watch.
March 14, 2012
I almost didn't want to watch this due to the "western" genre classification. This movie definitely has many bits of that, but I personally would consider it more a romantic drama. ....I have kept my eye on Tim Daly ever since Wings. He is very good, and I swear to god he is getting better, and better looking. That aside..this move was well done, and enjoyable. Great acting all around. Good story, too.
January 6, 2012
½ June 13, 2011
Romantic western about an Armish woman who takes in a sick man and ends up being disassociated by her community. The accompaning music is poignant.
May 8, 2010
A very good film about having faith in someone against your better judgment and the opinion of your family and friends. However, I found it very upsetting that she would give up her faith and be shunned by her entire community for a man who had murdered people for most of his life. Kind of unbelievable.
May 2, 2010
Prety good storyline
½ January 28, 2010
Pretty good, liked it. Seems like there should have been more to the story and the ending unless they meant to make a sequel or TV show out of it. Over all it was good. Hated that just because someone feel in love or was a free thinker the community shunned them, this does go against the love and tolerance of the scriptures I know. But stuff like this still happens today because of narrow religious thinking.
½ August 23, 2009
I'm giving this 3 and a half stars because of Naomi Watts. She did a great job and the chemistry was good between her and Tim Daly. Overall it probably could have been a little better but still enjoyable to watch.
July 21, 2009
It was good and cute but sad at parts.
½ April 8, 2009
Romantic on a superficial level confusing lust with love. I can't help but think that if he truly loved her he would not have allowed her to do something that violated her beliefs but would first become a member of the plain way.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
November 4, 2008
This could easily have bowed to the cliche been there done that but it takes a simple and wonderful approach to the overdone plot line. The bond between the gunslinger and Benjo is the most honest relationship I've seen on tv in a long time. I enjoyed this movie.
½ March 22, 2008
very romantic.. But I've just read, that Brett Tucker is in this movie.. I did not see that! better see it again :P
June 5, 2008
like this movie a lot
September 26, 2008
This movie went beyond your typical western to make one of the best westerns I personally have ever seen. A forbidden romance between two completley different people changes the life of each other, there new family, religous groups, and an entire community.

While greed, lust, and gunslinging still keep this western film true to format the idea of an "Outsider" who has typically been a gunslinging badass becoming romantically involved with a Christian woman from the plain people makes a more then interesting plot.

The movie has everything from soundtrack, scenes, action, romance, plot, and actors. It does not miss a step and easily a five-star movie.
October 12, 2006
Could have been a lot better.