Peter Pan Reviews

½ September 5, 2012
This is a different version than I am used to, but I liked it. I may be forced to read the book to determine what really happened. I have not quite figured out the significance of Wendy creating Captain Hook in the image of her father.
MeetMeinMontauk
December 14, 2011
Certainly not the greatest graphics. Awkward filming. Decent acting. Incredibly cute. Yeah, I'd have my kids watch this if I had them!
½ May 26, 2007
The graphic quality is stunningly bad, enough to take one's attention away from the (admittedly mediocre) story. But Jeremy Sumpter is the kind of guy I would have been obsessed with had I actually seen this when it came out, so I'm giving it a little bit benefit of the doubt. Too bad he grew up into the weaselly JD McCoy of FNL fame.
Movie Monster
½ July 13, 2011
P.J. Hogan's Peter Pan gets props for staying very true to the original J.M. Barrie source material. That is pretty much all I can acknowledge the film for. Other than that, the actors are annoying, the visuals are a tad overdone, and lastly, its forgettable. For the true timeless classic, watch the Disney version. For the true Peter Pan story, read the original novel. So, Hook gets a rotten rating and this gets fresh??? This one just didn't grow on me.
May 31, 2011
Sumpter makes a good Pan on camera but when it comes to emotion all he can do his smile and nod. :/

However, there are a lot of redeeming factors. The gorgeous visuals that rival it's Disney counterpart, Hurd-Wood's impressive child-acting abilities and most notably, its successful approach to sophisticated emotional themes that other reincarnations feared to explore.

Top it off with a rememberable music score and you've got yourself a deliciously magical success.
DreamExtractor
March 28, 2011
A surprisingly worthy adaption of the classic tale.
½ July 21, 2010
C+
CloudStrife84
½ April 12, 2007
Adventurous, heartfelt, touching and entertaining. The list of positive adjectives that could be used to describe this film goes on and on. Of course it has its flaws as well, but they're not really big enough to ever become bothersome, which is why I've chosen to leave them out at this time. Because this a wonderful adapation of J.M. Barrie's classic novel. The kind that makes you feel like a kid all over again; awaking your sense of adventure and enchanting your ears with its wonderful music score. I actually love it so much that I listen to it sometimes when in need of some inspiration. So if not for its nice visuals, the soundtrack alone makes it well worth seeing.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
gotta love this movie!
its entertaining and a real cute childrens movie and good adaptation!
worth a watch!
½ April 20, 2006
There were things that I really liked about this film (like Hook and the fight scene at the end) but then were also things that really put me off (like Peter looking like a total lech and Tink).
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
a breathtaking fantasy. jeremy sumpter, though the main character, has the show stolen by rachel hurd-wood as wendy. a flawless performance by jason isaacs also helps.
½ January 29, 2007
This is by far the most accurate and striking adaptation of the J.M. Barrie favourite that has yet been made. Indeed it is difficult to see how it could have been better.

Whilst I'm writing here in praise of the film, I feel I must take issue with the comments of Mr John Ulmer who criticised the film for a number of reasons. I seek to defend the story of Peter Pan and in particular this version. Firstly, it was said that this version has sexual over/undertones.

Erm... well yes... any accurate portrayal of the story would have, as these subtleties are present en masse in the book, indeed more so in the book than in the film it could be argued. It is precisely this evident descent towards Wendy's loss of innocence that both disturbs and excites adult readers of the books and this is quite intentional. Children who are not of an age to appreciate this level are untouched by it but rather take delight in the glorious idea of never having to grow up but instead being allowed to play forever. Indeed the relationship between Pan and Hook is the struggle of youth to overcome the onset of age (singular human vanity and innocent childish rebellion combined). I do not believe that this film's handling of this aspect of the book was merely present in "sick adult humour", I believe that it was beautifully hinted at in a way which would stimulate adult appreciation and childish fascination in the character of Pan.

I should like to make mention of the parallel which Mr Ulmer draws between this version of Peter Pan and Jumanji (namely the use of the same actors to play the adversary and the father of the lead character) is not just a trick put in to hark back to that film. Indeed the tradition of the same actor playing the role of Mr Darling AND Hook dates back to the story's original appearance as a stage play at the turn of the century and has been carried on on most occasions since then, though I concede that the Disney version (a far less worthy and sterilised version) failed to keep this tradition up.

As for the point at which the two boys are hung upside down in their nightshirts, I thought it was funny, as did the rest of the audience in the theatre and we certainly weren't there with a red pen counting the number of bottom shots as Mr Ulmer appears to have done. This film is full of charming humour, adult overtones for the adults, childish fantasy and wonderment for those of the appropriate age. The acting is superb in all areas and I must make particular mention of both Ludivine Sagnier as a wickedly funny Tink and of course Rachel Hurd-Wood whose screen debut showed her as a previously undiscovered talent who will surely go far. All the others were excellent also.

All in all this film rekindled my love of the book which I have now re-read a number of times and makes up for all those years Pan has spent in the Disney wilderness.
½ June 13, 2006
Somehow I remember the story of the play to be a bit different, despite of the obvious and well known factors, like the ticking crocodile, the pirates, etc. However, the design of Neverland is really nice done here, just like the flying effects. The child actors for Peter and Wendy are truly wonderful choices, their smiles put some real chemistry on the screen. Jason Isaacs is a great choice for Hook, as expected. The action is well paced, the jokes probably truly hilarious for kids. The resurrection of Tinkerbell scene is even real movie magic, even though I can't recall that part from the play either. A great adventure and fantasy movie, even though mostly aimed at a somewhat younger audience.
June 7, 2007
It's what Hook should've been! This movie tells the classic tale of Peter Pan in a wonderful way. It's very well done. Jason Isaacs makes a great Captain Hook and Jeremy Sumpter makes a great Peter Pan. I could never get into the Disney version, but this one grabbed me right away with a beautifully realized Neverland setting, great musical score, an engaging plot and lots of fun and action. Recommended stuff.

Favorite Scene: when Wendy kisses Peter and brings him back to life - and Captain Hook and his pirates soon get their butts kicked.
½ May 18, 2007
Very good adaptation of Peter Pan. I liked it a lot.
½ May 17, 2007
A good apatation of Peter Pan, a great family film. Fairly uninspired plot changes detract from the classic, but still a good family film.
March 27, 2007
Okay version of the tale. I watch for Jason Isaacs.
MissMorganLeee
January 27, 2007
ok why do they always have to make peter pan look like a girl i know hes a boy but u dont have to make him look like a girl haha. cant deside if i like it or not
sanjurosamurai
January 9, 2007
magical and fun, cool and different way to tell this story
deano
½ November 23, 2006
This live-action film is much exciting and funny then Disney's cartoon. Jason Isaacs is devillishy good fun as Captain Hook.