The Punisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Punisher Reviews

½ November 28, 2007
THE PUNISHER is an awful film- ugly, cheerless, sadistic and has almost no redeeming features.
½ October 13, 2015
The Punisher
When you expected a 'bad-ass' action movie and what you get is a 'bad and half assed' drama, Punisher really punish the audience's mood with bad plot and bad music scores. the only good thing about this movie is it's last 30 minutes.
October 5, 2015
Such a bad film overall
½ June 2, 2006
I have not seen this film in quite a while and with the hype of the punisher showing up on Daredevil season 2 I decided that I needed to finally watch War Zone.. but then I felt the need to watch this one too. I must admit, I liked it more this time around than when I originally watched it. I would be lying if I said I knew much about the punisher as a comic character but that does not always mean a movie can not be good or fun, Only weird fan boys that have nothing better do normally get so worked up if something is not exactly the same as the comics, forgetting that they are making a real life movie from a comic.

Thomas Jane was a good punisher, just a massive shame that the director did not get the extra money and support he wanted to make this film even better. I have read what had to be cut and it does seem like a lot changed from the original plan and concept of the film. It is also a shame that he did not return to do War Zone, although I do like Ray too... I am sure now that Marvel has their hands back on the punisher we might finally see a great film but then again I can't see Disney doing an 18 years rated movie.
½ September 18, 2015
Two words. Criminally underrated!
March 12, 2012
The first true adaptation of the Marvel anti-hero (discounting the Dolph Lundgren version) The Punisher is a surprisingly memorable revenge pic that contains great performances and enough bloodshed to please action fans like myself. John Travolta is well-cast as the sleazy, mob leader who's biggest enemy is his ego and Thomas Jane commands the screen as the wounded and pissed-off, Frank Castle, though he did seem to invent the growly, Dark Knight voice long before, Christian Bale did. The story is tragic-as-hell and the massacre sequence during Frank's family reunion is still hard-hitting and ruthless to watch, the perfect set-up to our vigilante's payback. Castle's revenge scheme is easily my favourite part of the film and it's truly brilliant how he manages to get the villains to do the dirty work for him. Many fans and critics disliked the film upon release calling it too violent or too tame and while I find it strikes a nice balance in the middle, the director was unable to make the truly viscious film he wanted to as the studio had no faith in a bankable, R-rated "superhero". I will say that the climax is a tad underwhelming after the amazing fight sequence between the Punisher and The Russian, but if you put yourself in the character's shoes; he is very efficient in dispatching his foes at the end. A misjudged film that deserves a solid reboot as Thomas Jane is the best incarnation of the character we've had so far and in my eyes; he IS the Punisher.
½ August 19, 2015
I loved Punisher and although the remake rumors continue, I have only seen it on Netfix's Daredevil. Punisher was not the typical Marvel superhero , he had no magical powers , and like Tony Stark became Iron man , punisher uses what he knows in an all out 1 man war on the dreadful people and horrid crime that face him. Murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats, violence, and torture are his tools and he uses them against those who would use them on the unsuspecting public. Probably as you can see above the critics aren't on any kind of calibration. ( look at Forrest Gump and other multiple academy award winners, the ratings are not standardized clearly when that movie gets ratings so poor ) Punisher is an enjoyable popcorn movie and is on par with the other early Marvel efforts. Like the First batman series , the first Xmen and other conversions , its fairly faithful to the comic and fans seem to like it. Toughness, image, his training and ... Bullets MANY MANY MANY OF THEM were what Punishert was all about. Watch and see , this Is doing well with the Audiences score because they get it ... its a comic movie and now its become its own Genre... Frank's portrayal is believable and does grab you. Thomas Jane does well here. Punisher shares the vengence theme with of Ghost Rider . I do find though the storyline here is much stronger. Now though a bit dated the effects and the writing were on par with what the original comics were known for. There's a great cast here with strong performances from Tom Jane and Travolta and good supporting efforts from Antoni Corone , Ben Foster and others . The violence which one critic said was " pointless" and " idiotic" is clearly wasted on him. Punisher fans will expect it. Sadly either from promotional issues or wrong movie at wrong time it didn't do what people expect of Marvels beloved characters box office wise. I hope the new interest from the Netflix "Daredevil" series ( yes Punisher makes an appearance there ) will give the movie the audience it deserved and generate renewed interest into a reboot. I liked this one , its No Age of Ultron , or Skyfall , but its no attack of the Killer Tomatoes either ... The Audience score is about right I would say around 75 ish. So grab your move snacks and a large pop and enjoy , remember its not meant to be the next Godfather .
½ August 4, 2015
As far a tales of revenge, it's nothing new, but it's a solid adaption that has great characters and emotions. There isn't a ton of action throughout, but the few sequences are great. The story keeps you on the edge and will likely break your nerves, but it works.
August 1, 2015
The Punisher is a dreadful adaptation of the comic book character, featuring a bad direction, poor performances, and no clear story
July 27, 2015
True it's generic but Travolta's elevates the movie as a must watch villain.
July 19, 2015
stellar movie and mob boss bad guys. nice and bad.
½ July 14, 2015
Exhilarating performances from Jane and Travolta and competent direction help to cover clumsy editing and a couple of awkwardly placed comic relief characters, but can't hide a messy script and the cynicism that comes with the movie's strict adherence to the notion that two wrongs make a right.
½ July 14, 2015
It really only has the few scenes or so that are mostly good. The action is sometimes underwhelming and the music tends to overflow romantic, dramatic, or any other relationship-building scenes. The character development is on the right path but doesn't go far as we get characters that we neither remember, recognize, nor really care about by the end of it all.
June 1, 2015
Definitely one of the oddest, clumsiest Marvel adaptations of the 2000s.

It's got a decent cast that are all misused. It takes a gritty, violent Marvel ant-hero and sucks out most of his grit and violence -- except for the odd, sudden graphic moments slapped in for effect. It plops these weird comic foils (The Punisher has oddball neighbors) for the protagonist into the movie and they do nothing but annoy the audience with their ineptitude. It has a very cliched gangster revenge plot and...I just can't talk about this dumb movie anymore. Just know it's poorly written and directed; and Thomas Jane, while intense in the title role, pretty much falls flat when he has to do anything that doesn't involve shooting a weapon -- which, in this kind of story, doesn't occur nearly enough.

May 21, 2015
Could have been better, could have been worse.
May 17, 2015
I really hated this when I first saw it. I have to saw I liked it alot on the second viewing. Some decent action and Jane is pretty decent as he dishes out some punishment. A serious twitch off Laura Harring.
April 17, 2015
This motion picture would have scored much higher if it pretend it was based on a comic book. Had it stuck to the comic book mythos it would have been better, but since it didn't I left wondering why bother calling it the punisher? Is it violent? yes, but the script and story are no better than the first punisher movie starring Dolph Lungren, meaning it's no better than a cheesy '80's action flick that they mass produced in the 80's.
½ February 7, 2013
Its funny...because I kind of liked it. It was violent and very like the comic book.
March 22, 2015
Possibly the most underrated of the pre-MCU films.