The Punisher Reviews

July 27, 2015
True it's generic but Travolta's elevates the movie as a must watch villain.
July 19, 2015
stellar movie and mob boss bad guys. nice and bad.
½ July 14, 2015
Exhilarating performances from Jane and Travolta and competent direction help to cover clumsy editing and a couple of awkwardly placed comic relief characters, but can't hide a messy script and the cynicism that comes with the movie's strict adherence to the notion that two wrongs make a right.
½ July 14, 2015
It really only has the few scenes or so that are mostly good. The action is sometimes underwhelming and the music tends to overflow romantic, dramatic, or any other relationship-building scenes. The character development is on the right path but doesn't go far as we get characters that we neither remember, recognize, nor really care about by the end of it all.
June 1, 2015
Definitely one of the oddest, clumsiest Marvel adaptations of the 2000s.

It's got a decent cast that are all misused. It takes a gritty, violent Marvel ant-hero and sucks out most of his grit and violence -- except for the odd, sudden graphic moments slapped in for effect. It plops these weird comic foils (The Punisher has oddball neighbors) for the protagonist into the movie and they do nothing but annoy the audience with their ineptitude. It has a very cliched gangster revenge plot and...I just can't talk about this dumb movie anymore. Just know it's poorly written and directed; and Thomas Jane, while intense in the title role, pretty much falls flat when he has to do anything that doesn't involve shooting a weapon -- which, in this kind of story, doesn't occur nearly enough.

THE END
May 21, 2015
Could have been better, could have been worse.
May 17, 2015
I really hated this when I first saw it. I have to saw I liked it alot on the second viewing. Some decent action and Jane is pretty decent as he dishes out some punishment. A serious twitch off Laura Harring.
April 17, 2015
This motion picture would have scored much higher if it pretend it was based on a comic book. Had it stuck to the comic book mythos it would have been better, but since it didn't I left wondering why bother calling it the punisher? Is it violent? yes, but the script and story are no better than the first punisher movie starring Dolph Lungren, meaning it's no better than a cheesy '80's action flick that they mass produced in the 80's.
½ February 7, 2013
Its funny...because I kind of liked it. It was violent and very like the comic book.
March 22, 2015
Possibly the most underrated of the pre-MCU films.
½ February 12, 2015
People seem to have a hate on for this movie, but honestly I think it is one of the more better made and accurate comic book translations. This is the quintessential telling of the story of Frank Castle and how he becomes the Punisher, taken right from the pages of the graphic novel, with Thomas Jane doing a great job showing how complex and multilayer-ed the character really is. The film has a very Sergio Leone feel to it, which totally helps sell it as more then just a comic book movie. In fact, the only part I really disliked in the movie with the corny exploding punisher skull in the finale, which was just silly. My only other complaint was that it had some needless nudity, but other then that it is a movie with a terrific cast, great action and pretty much everything you could ask for in a Punisher movie, sadly when the director and Thomas Jane saw where they wanted to go with the next movie they opted out, but they made it anyway and thus you have the much less cool Punisher Warzone movie with Ray Stevenson, pity.

3.5 Beards Out Of 5
½ February 7, 2015
I looked forward to it and was disappointed. The Punisher of the late 1980s was better and that says a lot since it wasn't too good either.
½ January 30, 2015
A good film, but loosely based on the comics. despite this, the atmosphere is still as grim and black as the comics itself, the plot is good, but I would have liked a little bit more of a twist and final confrontation scene, but generally an ok to good film
January 3, 2015
'The Punisher' deserves credit as one of the early 'Marvel' superhero films. A violent revenge fantasy along lines similar to 'Death Wish', it's worth a watch for fans of action. Be forewarned: There are some fairly cheesy parts, and the climax of the film is no exception.
Robbanflix
December 29, 2006
This didnt felt like a marvel movie but a decent action movie tho. And i hadnt really much knowledge about the punisher as character before.
December 27, 2014
Best use for a popsicle ever - my only thoughts.
December 1, 2006
Pretty cheesy like most early Marvel movies. Thomas Jane is great as the lead, although the supporting cast is pretty stinky. Especially Travolta. *gag*
½ April 24, 2014
Disjointed, strangely decent yet face palming-ly bad at the same time. Tom Jane made a good Punisher though.
November 10, 2013
Simple action and uninspired acting turn The Punisher into a slightly uninteresting entry into Marvel's filmography.