Born Rich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born Rich Reviews

June 23, 2013
I came into this documentary, deciding that I would watch without any preconceptions about what I might see or learn.

I was surprised that the various people who are profiled, had some depth, and were not the superficial, vacuous people I was expecting.
½ January 26, 2013
Loved it. Very insightful and really appreciated Jamie's candor and the candor and authenticity of the rest of the cast. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
June 4, 2012
Don't we see that continually in the tabloids already?!?
July 25, 2007
The documentary is handled adequately, but it's the access and the candor Johnson is able to provide that makes Born Rich a little interesting.
½ January 21, 2011
This is an incredibly interesting documentary that at surface level will challenge or affirm stereotypes of rich kids (most likely both). However, I didn't find it brilliant for kids behaving in expected patterns, but because of how well it illustrated the systemic embeddedness of wealth once acquired. Thinking more broadly the viewer can find ways to relate to many of the things these brats are going through on our own smaller less decadent scale. If I ever wanted to show a movie that illustrated white privilege this might be the first place I'd go.

Mr. Johnson might have thought to hire someone else to do the narration. His voice is exceedingly dull. The characters are great at grabbing your attention and holding it even if its because you're realizing what clueless snobs they can be. The movie shows its amateur nature but the lack of production quality is more than made up for in the interesting content.
April 26, 2010
Really insightful. We have recently become more facinated with young hollywood and the likes of Paris Hilton types. I think everyone has wondered what it would be like to be born rich. More money more problems... Children of wealth strugle with living up to expectations and fighting the prejuduce of peers growing up. Surpisingly most don't just enjoy the free money but try to do something meaningful. One man even realizes that hard work makes him happy. It may be easy to hate these people but maybe we shouldn't.
January 7, 2010
As a piece of cinema, it's rough around the edges. But director Jamie Johnson (of the Johnson and Johnson fortune) had unparalleled access to wealthy heir(ess) peers and got them to speak truthfully about money on camera. As a documentary about the class system in North America, this is as good as it gets. Fascinating.
April 12, 2009
hmmm... very illuminating documentary
½ October 15, 2008
A rich kid makes a movie about his spoiled rich friends.
September 22, 2006
I did not really like this movie.
November 4, 2007
i can't wait to see it
April 3, 2007
Don't we see that continually in the tabloids already?!?
½ September 27, 2005
[font=Times New Roman][size=4]Interesting idea, mildly interesting sections, hideously BORING voice-over by what's-his-face the Johnson&Johnson heir. Only watch if you are bored and you can't find reruns of The Electric Company. [/size][/font]
½ January 9, 2005

[color=sandybrown]18- being hot or cold? [b]Cold[/b]
19- tall or short members of the opposite sex? [b]short[/b]
20- sun or moon? [b]moon[/b]
21- emeralds or rubies? [b]rubies [/b][/color][/font]
[/size] [size=2][color=silver][font=Tahoma][color=sandybrown]22- left or right?[b] Left[/b]
23- having 10 acquaintances or 1 best friend? [b]1 best friend[/b]

43- Happy or sad? [b]Happy[/b]
44- Purple or green? [b]Purple[/b]
45- Blondes or brunettes? [b]Blondes[/b][/color][/font][/color][/size]
½ October 6, 2004
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Hmmm - can't say this movie was particularly groundbreaking. It's creator, Jamie Johnson, didn't exactly break the whole "I'm a rich kid" mystique wide open.[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]Still - once you get past his monotone - there are a few interesting parts. It's morbidly interesting to see what complete assholes money can help create. A few kids seemed like they have a chance to be something - but in general - this movie just makes me INCREDIBLY glad that I was not "Born Rich".[/color][/font]