Beauty Shop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty Shop Reviews

3niR
½ May 2, 2011
This movie was funny and really entertaining. I'm really liking Queen Latifah. Her attitude is just awesome.
½ March 30, 2011
OK, so what's the plot? A hair stylist (Queen Latifah) walks out on her boss (Kevin Bacon). Boss doesn't think she'll make it. She makes it while stealing all of his customers in a comedic process. Meets hot guy (Dimon Hounsou). Boss tries to get revenge.

Yes, you have seen this movie before.

It has a few funny moments, some of them not intentional, but Beauty Shop really is your standard, predictable, recycled film. File this one under "Been there, done that".
July 31, 2010
D
February 6, 2010
WEAK! WEAK! WEAK! Come on, you call this a good movie, it's total rip-off of the exactly same movie, barber shop!
½ May 31, 2007
One of my favorites. Kevin Spacey is so funny in this movie and Queen Latifah is great as usual.
xxdebxx
May 9, 2010
Gina (Queen Latifah) plays a sassy hairstylist whiz who feels under-appreciated by her arrogant racist boss, Jorge who wants to steal credit for her work. A single mother, she decides to open up her own beauty shop fulfilling her dreams in the process. Alicia Silverstone plays Lynn, a Georgia country girl who also happens to be a whiz at styling who goes along for the ride. Not a bad comedy and Queen Latifah is her usual witty fun self to watch.
March 6, 2007
It's weird that this movie was somewhat enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much.
½ April 2, 2009
Had to watch it because it was about time someone did a film about black beauty shops
divinetrash
½ December 25, 2007
I've been forgetting to watch Near Dark and The Philadelphia Story for weeks, but I don't change the channel when this is on. Seriously, what the fuck?
½ March 13, 2008
was ok laughed my ass off at bacon playing the competition
½ January 7, 2008
Love her! She always has a happy, upbeat attitude in every movie. This one was no acception :)
August 11, 2006
Very fun movie!
May 28, 2015
It is hotter than a jalapeno's coochie out there.

Gina is a hairstylist that works at the largest stylist's shop in the city. Unfortunately, the owner treats her poorly making her feel unappreciated. Eventually, she quits and opens her own beauty shop. Her shop is in a rough neighborhood and is barely operational at times, but she develops a fan base and eventually business takes off. Can she keep her shop operational long enough to make some money and get out from the tremendous debt opening her business has caused?

"Does my sexiness offend you?"

Bille Woodruff, director of Bring it On: Fight to the Finish, Honey 2, Rags, A Very Larry Christmas, Addicted, and Drumline: A New Beat, delivers Beauty Shop. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and as you'd expect. I did enjoy watching it unfold. There are some funny lines here and there and the acting isn't bad. The cast includes Queen Latifah, Alicia Silverstone, Andie MacDowell, Mena Suvari, LisaRaye McCoy, and Kimora Lee Simmons.

"I'd do him in a heartbeat if I wasn't so damn fertile."

I came across Beauty Shop while scrolling through movies on Netflix and decided to give it a shot (surprisingly, I had never seen this). I can say I did not have very high expectations for this film and found it better than I anticipated. Overall, this is far from a classic but also far from a waste of time. I recommend seeing this once.

"She loves me."

Grade: C+
April 3, 2012
Why I liked this film I don't really know. Kevin Bacon was a riot but other than that I have no clue why I enjoyed a film like Beauty Shop.
August 18, 2014
Funny, feel-good, FUN movie, just as enjoyable as both Barbershop movies. The ONLY reason it gets 4 from me is due to Alicia Silverstone's HORRIBLE acting, "reedickaless" accent and pathetic, squeaky "ghettooo" and "I riiiise" lines. Otherwise, this one's a winner!!
February 1, 2011
A sort of spin-off of the film "Barbershop" , Beauty shop is slightly funny yet not as good as it could have been. The storyline is somewhat weak and pretty much is just a female version of "Barbershop". There are lots of funny jokes throughout the film. Queen Latifah pretty much carries this entire movie on her shoulders. However Alicia Silverstone is wonderful in her part as a wanna-be black girl. Kevin Bacon's part pretty much makes you sick but you have to give him praise for stepping outside of his comfort zone for such a role. Queen Latifah has delievered better films and this unfortunetly was not one of them. Pretty much just a watch it once and then be done with it kind of film.
½ June 20, 2009
This isn't bad by any means but it's very predictable and nothing ever lifts it higher than being an average movie.
½ September 27, 2010
A quick movie for females to come together and hoot and holler to. Lots of laughs, with heartwarming scenes that make you want to chill with your girlfriends and just have a good time. Queen Latifah, what else is there to say?
November 6, 2008
I loved it but I like the actors and I thought it was funny n cute n had a good story line for what it was about:)