Emile Reviews

½ July 24, 2013
The story had promise, but the editing made it incredibly hard to follow.
January 25, 2013
Not reassuring, all of these reviews. I bought the dvd a while back and may have tried to watch it but I believe I sold it to a second hand store then more recently "bought it back" and I will finally try and watch it tonight. Until this point, I'd been catching up on season 1 of Dallas...I wonder if this movie will be worth the wait or if any of these reviewers can be trusted for their opinions and evaluations of the film and characters?

This movie was worth the wait and the patience to see it through and no: Scott Foundas, Elizabeth Weitzman, V.A. Musetto, Stephen Holden and David Blaylock cannot be trusted for their opinions and in fact, I suggest that all of them need to find another line of work.

Emile is an unusual, sad, sometimes uplifting look at an older man who is the lone survivor of three brothers who once worked a Saskatchewan farm. Emile left for England for studies (realistic?) and never returned to see either brother and in fact, failed to come back for his niece who was orphaned not just by her parents but also her grandparents. Emile finally returns to Canada for an honorary award and to see the last two members of family that he has but has never really known.

He comes to stay with the two relatives who are already feeling awkward with one another due to marital trouble and growing pains and they slowly get to know each other and he plays a part in reconciling the daughter to her mother. 10/10
October 6, 2011
Slow, comtemplative and reflective like the old man it portrays. Also touching, compelling, well-acted with characters I cared about. Beautifully filmed in British Columbia.
February 2, 2009
I liked the movie a lot more than I expected. Not that I thought it was going to be a bad movie, but I had no real concept of what I'd think of it so really enjoying it was a nice surprise. We had heard it was slow, but I actually found it to be quite gripping and as such it didn't appear slow. At first it was a little distracting watching the movie with Ian McKellen two rows behind us and a couple of seats along, but my focus settled down as we got further in. The movie was much more easily identified with than you might expect, being a movie about a 65 year old man and me being anything but. The theme was something I think can get to anyone and what really got me was the story of Emile leaving his two brothers behind and what happened to them subsequently. I think anyone who moves away from their family can understand the need to separate and how easy it can be to let that separation become too vast. As someone who has never lost a close member of my family, and lives in vague terror of the day it finally happens (as it must do unless I'm hit by a bus in the near future), I found the movie very touching and even teared up a couple of times. On a less precise scale, Emile's flaw was that he ran away from responsibility and difficulty and as a result never really lived his life, as far as we can tell. It's always easy to tell ourselves that what we're doing is for the best, but often that can be an excuse for not doing something that seems too hard. The only flaw I would pick with the movie is that occasionally the music was a little too much. Aside from that the acting was excellent, the script was excellent and the shooting was beautifully done. I think a lot more people will find something to associate with in this movie than might think they would. Have you ever moved away from home? Have you ever not kept in touch when you knew you should? Have you ever been hurt by or betrayed a family member?
May 11, 2008
Svikande farbror återvänder till hemlandet och sin brorsdotter och hennes dotter, och först blir det gnissel men sen ordnar det sig, Inte helt otippat. Fint foto.
½ January 31, 2008
Very watchable film. However I felt utterly depressed throughout!
October 12, 2007
Ian McKellen stars as a Saskatchewan-born professor who spent most of his life in England and now returns to Canada to receive a degree and to visit his niece whom he has never met. As the story unfolds, we discover the emotional scars beneath the surface of each character that prevent them from being whole. McKellen is brilliant as always, and seems eminently suited for the role of a retired professor.
½ October 11, 2007
This movie has good and bad. First, it drags. Emile, the main character is flashing back throughout the movie - I think sometimes you see him as a young Emile, but sometimes he keeps his current age. It is all confusing. However, if you last beyond the first hour, the story becomes easier to follow and more interesting.
½ September 27, 2007
A touching story about a mans forgotten memories and how he chooses to handle them. Partly slow but never the less moving and interesting.
½ June 30, 2007
Loses points for the cop-out ending (no WAY would she forgive him that fast), but wonderful up until that point
March 13, 2007
such a weird movie... yay gandalf!:P
March 1, 2007
A beautiful story with very strong performances from all actors.

This was a very interesting film. I was fascinated but the fact that Emile is himself in the flashbacks. While it was confusing at first, it contributed powerfully to the fact that he was confronting his past, not simply remembering it, making the flashbacks in integral part of the film rather than simply a story telling device.
½ August 26, 2006
it was good. i think i enjoyed this more than most people. its really really slow, but it does reward the patient.
ian mckellen does a really really good job, he was really well cast, i even think that thats one of his best performance's. as with deborah unger, i don't really like her, but she was really great in this. and it was really well written.
but i can't help feeling that it would have been better as a stage play or something, rather than a movie. plus the direction of it was very questionable
June 19, 2006
Sir Ian ruled as usual.
½ June 9, 2006
Ian McKellen pas besoin de dire autre chose!!!!
October 5, 2005
[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5]Sin City[/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][/size][/font] [/center]
[left][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]In short, Sin City delivers a blistering ballet of bullets and blood, dames and danger at every turn. Sin City is smart, stylish, sexy and sick. It's also violent and funny. Certainly not a film for the whole family, but for those of us who enjoy our movies rated R, this movie kicks ass.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [/left]
[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5]Emile[/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][/size][/font] [/center]
[left][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Ian McKellen is superb as Emile, a loner who abandoned his family many years ago and finds himself visiting his few remaining relatives. This is definitely a character based movie. It's never a total waste to watch Ian McKellan work - playing someone trying to come to terms with the difficulties and poor choices in his past. It was a nice little film.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [/left]
[center][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5]Being Julia[/size][/font][/center]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Anette Benning turns in a superb performance in a delightfully entertaining movie. Bening makes Julia bitchy and lovable at the same time. Jeremy Irons is also really good as Julia's husband. If you just want gentle entertainment then this film will do very well. [/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Donna A.[/size][/font]
[center]
[/center]
May 13, 2004
Watch this . If you like the actors - watch it . They are great .