—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Immortel (ad vitam) (Immortal) Reviews

January 17, 2014
It is definitely art, punk art. It is not a grounded story that tells step by step what is happening, it is a beautiful essay. An essay that uses so many metaphors that it is hard to catch up with all of them if you have a limited imagination; and if your mind is able to operate just with literal concepts - skip this one (or enjoy the awesome soundtrack and ignore the rest). This movie takes you through a blind darkness, and a torment on a way to the happy-end - a relief and hope, new life, refreshment, reboot, and yes new troubles, but this is why Life is fun, right? Unlike other movies about human society problems - it is FUN to watch it. I like it.
December 24, 2013
This was an awful movie that promotes rape culture and male posturing. Typical french *pseudo* philosophical bullsh*t... a storyline that has no point whatsoever but to show off its creative CGI imagery and cultural depravity (that's all its got, seriously).
September 12, 2013
Cuesta mucho tomar en serio la película en los primeros 20 minutos de rodaje. El nivel de frikedad y eclectisismo raya en la incoherencia y algunos efectos particulares no ayudan nada para mejorar esta primera impresión. A pesar de todo esto, la historia logra avanzar gracias a su simplicidad y llega a duras penas al final, dejando muchos personajes a medio definir.... pero llega.
July 8, 2013
Rented this movie by mistake, as this type of movie rarely finds itself at the top of my to watch list and watched it purely out of boredom. That being said, after the initial "WTF this is not what I rented!" moment I found it to be one of the most thought provoking and hauntingly beautiful films I have ever seen. Immortel is a brilliant work of theoretical fiction definitely one of the best films I have seen this decade.
May 24, 2013
I was in two minds about this movie. Should I just call it crap or not. In the end I decided that it does not really deserve a crap rating and it was actually mildly entertaining although with an emphasis on mildly.

This is indeed a weird and bizarre movie. We do not really get any explanation or background story in the beginning. It just starts with a rather gray and depressing, as well as weird and bizarre, New York city in 2095. Most of the people seem to be medically and/or genetically modified, mutants or downright aliens. A pyramid which is shown to hold ancient Egyptian gods are hovering over the city. The film blurb appears to be misleading though since Earth is hardly occupied but rather these gods just seems to be on a visit to settle some of their affairs.

We are not really given any explanation as to what follows either or why other than that one of the gods, Horus, is condemned to death and is on a quest to procreate with one of the few women that can mate with a god before his allotted time is up. This is a film where there is little meaning in asking any questions and the only thing you can do is to let yourself be taken through the scenes and enjoy the imagery. This is where the enjoyment of this film lays, in the scenery of future New York, the bizarre creatures and the bizarre plot. The special effects are nothing fantastic but enough to keep up the interest in the movie. The future New York is a mixture of old and new styles and technology. The persons are a mixture between live actors and Final Fantasy like CGI creations. Did I mention that it is all very weird and bizarre? It is certainly a very "artistic" movie.

In the end I did not feel it was a wasted evening but it is not exactly a film that will end up on any of my top lists either. Interesting experience and nice to have seen it though and I can understand that some people give it very high ratings. It is not a movie for everyone that is for sure.
March 31, 2013
again, when I clicked on a star rating my review was wiped out........
making a long review short, I sought this out, found it, bought it & being a fan of Heavy Metal magazine & a fan of Enki Bilal I loved it, fell in love with Jill the whole nine yards.... this is one of the greatest sci fi artists of our time & although there may be more technically polished movies, this is just beautiful on all levels.
Long review short: if you love the animated Heavy Metal movies this should be on your must see list. Glad I bought it.
January 27, 2013
The problem with CGI is as it gets better and better, older versions look worse and worse, making films like Immortal almost impossible to watch.
January 13, 2013
No la pude ver completa daaaammmmn!
Pero los primeros minutos estan impresionantes visualmente y tematicamente se puede decir lo mismo.
December 30, 2012
Already outdated game console intro with a flacid plot that lasts for almost two hours. Time waisted.
December 22, 2012
Visualmente impecable, con una historia abstracta y por demás original que la convierte en una de las películas más singulares que he visto.

En sí la trama se centra en el regreso del Dios Horus y la misión que debe completar antes de ser juzgado. Para llevarla a cabo necesitará encontrar a la elegida, una entre muchos, extraña por naturaleza, pero perfecta para llevar la semilla divina.

Los personajes son fríos, pero a la vez cálidos, extraños pero interesantes, ligeros y profundos y así podría seguir... es difícil describir este tipo de película. Recomendable. 8/10
December 7, 2012
''Remember the sign we saw, my soul. That beautiful, soft summer morning... round a turning in the path. A disgusting carcass on a bed scattered with stones. Its legs in the air like a woman in need... burning its wedding poisons... like a fountain with its rhythmic sobs. I could hear it clearly with a long murmuring sound, but I touch my body in vain to find the wound. I am the vampire of my own heart. One of the great outcasts condemned to eternal laughter who can no longer smile. Am I dead? I must be dead.''

New York 2095. In a strange pyramid floating in the sky, the gods of ancient Egypt are judging Horus. In the city, a young woman with blue hair and tears is arrested, but she has a secret power, even to herself...

Linda Hardy: Jill Bioskop

Thomas Kretschmann: Alcide Nikopol

Charlotte Rampling: Elma Turner

Awesome and visionary!

Egyptian and futuristic have a fondness for mythalogical gods and customs. Sci-fi twist is amazing!

Constantly reminded me of my sweetheart Rachael the first time i saw it because im so in love, its great! Very surreal and mixed with animation, was weird but ive absorbed into it. Some weirdness to it though.

So many films don't have this range of vastness and imagination that you have to watch repeatedly to grasp.

Abit more serious than Fifth Element which it has a similar style too but with some strange animated sequences other than that it still captivates me on viewing again.
December 5, 2012
" I am a professional guinea pig"
November 13, 2012
viewed on 25/11/04 (Thurs)

It is the other motion picutre made in the fashion of SKY CAPTAIN. The visuals are awesome. There are animated characters interacting with real actors. Very unique but I do not see why animate charactors who are basically human beings too. There are also other things which I do not understand. The whole cock and bull story. I use that phrase when I reviewed SKY CAPTAIN but I meant it really literally in this case. Another example of getting carried away in the SFX department and conveniently forget all about the story.

The movie is based on the same-titled comics by the director. Maybe he should stick to comics and improve on his storytelling too.

Rating: D
August 26, 2012
A bit fuzzy and aimless at times concerning the plot line, and maybe a bit too much unwarranted pathos, but still an inspiring, aesthetically pleasing and cinematically extraordinary screen adaption of an interesting story. Definitely worth watching.
August 18, 2012
colorful and stylish film that has a very interesting world and storyline
July 23, 2012
It's a good film. It just needs more work. I wished it was a little more smoother. Great concept though!
May 23, 2012
Good movie. A little excentric in the mixture of live action and cgi characters but the story played out well. My only complaint is how they failed to finish the story. There is a large hole of it missing that I wish I could have some answers to.
April 28, 2012
Could be a lot more if they provided a bit more background of the setting.
April 21, 2012
Shockingly poor. It doesn't know if it wants to be a CGI film or live action. The worst possible Fifth Element clone you could imagine.
April 13, 2012
Confusing and bizarre to watch but with some fine animation and a plot that demands rewatching, to iron out just what was going on, there is a lot to recommend for adults who like sci-fi mixed with Egyptology and cyberpunk. I can't say its a great movie and it has a number of faults that a shorter running time would aid but still a good view of the state of mid 2000's computer animation.