• Brothers
    2 minutes 7 seconds
    Added: May 9, 2008

Movies Like Brothers (Brødre)

18% Transcendence Apr 18

Brothers (Brødre) Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

November 27, 2011
One brother, recently released from prison, befriends his brother's wife, while the latter is believed dead in Afghanistan.
We watch no film in a vacuum. The films we've seen in the past inevitably affect how we view new films. In this case, I couldn't help but compare the original Danish version of this story to the American remake starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire, and Natalie Portman. All three American actors have turned in good, sometimes great, performances in other work, but I found the American version staid and uninteresting.
Now, I compare that to this film. The performances by Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Ulrich Thomsen, and Connie Nielsen are far and away better. Even on the most superficial level, Kaas looks like a fuck-up brother while Thomsen's maturity and political commitment resonate his every move. The final climactic moments hold more suspense and engender more fear because Thomsen's emotional decay is a more extreme inner torment and his physical stature is more demanding than anything that Tobey Maguire could inspire.
There are almost no differences in the stories, but the way the original is told, by actors who are truly right for their parts rather than Hollywood stars trying to fit into unwilling molds, makes Brothers compelling drama.
As much as I liked this film, especially in comparison to its flaccid American cousin, the story is still littered with "must-happens," in Super Reviewer Alice Shen's words.
Overall, Brothers proves that a clone is never as good as the original.
Sarah G

November 28, 2006
Incredibly compelling take on the consequences of war and how it affects the family, in particular the relationship between the two brothers. Contains a great performance from Ulrich Thomsen and and the brilliant Connie Nielsen. This is film making at its absolute best, just a shame Bier doesn't do more films-I must check out the rest of her filmography If you enjoyed this check out After The Wedding another great film by Susanne Bier.
Cynthia S

September 14, 2010
The original BROTHERS movie. I liked it alot better than the American version, even though I thought that one was good, too. There was just something much more moving about this one. I have to say that the American movie script was very close to this script..almost word for word sometimes. But, on the whole, I think that they did a better job telling the story in this one. The camera work alone had a better artsy feel to it. Nice movie!
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

May 29, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Brothers" is a film from Denmark that starts out with Michael(Ulrich Thomsen) who is an army major about to ship out to Afghanistan. On the day before he leaves, his neer-do-well brother Jannik(NIkolaj Lie Kaas) is being released from prison after three years for a botched bank robbery. Michael is married to Sarah(Connie Nielsen) and they have two young daughters. Soon after arriving in Afghanistan, Michael's helicopter is shot down. And then Jannik starts to spend more time around the young widow's household...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Brothers" is a constantly surprising and emotionally powerful movie about the cost that war has not only on those who serve but also those they leave behind. Whenever it seems to slip into a groove, it does something to move the characters out of their comfortable lives, particularly one event about halfway through the movie. "Brothers" is a very, very well acted movie which makes it all the more convincing.[/font]

January 26, 2010
A real Danish masterpiece directed by Susanne Bier... a movie which will hit you hard with it's potency... and leave you think about emotional confrontation! Well done.
Joseph E

August 27, 2010
Now, I've seen beofre i saw the american version, so i don'tr remeber much abou ti, but i do know i liked it alot. Just as much as I liked the new one. it was different then this one.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

June 15, 2009
Brothers" was about going away to war and coming back damaged and changed. Some people who had been in war zone, will have to deal with these strong emotions that take control of them, when they come back into their daily life routine.Connie Nielsen was incredible in her role as the soldier's wife, trying to keep things together, even when he was reported dead. She had to show strength when he returned damaged by the war.The younger brother Janick, who only wanted to help became his target, accusing him to have slept with his wife. Great movie with a great story and great acting portraying real people in difficult circumstances. Now it rest me to watch the Hollywood 2009 remake. Then I can compare, but now I loved the Danish one.
johnattridge
johnattridge

October 17, 2007
A drama that explores the relationship between two brothers follows many conventions, yet somehow still manages to feel different and revelatory in its delivery. It has a wonderful score that captures the tension and serenity of particular scenes and helps to emphasise the emotion and distraught of the characters. The director's approach in particular is unique; nothing is what it seems, and we know as much as the character's do themselves so that as the story unfolds it feels more personal and intimate, and then more human in it's portrayal. Connie Nielson in particular is amazing - she evokes so much sympathy from the audience as we feel her confusion and pain that we don't even question her as a character - she feels like a real person. A brilliantly psychological character study, analysing the horrors of both war and home - challenging and thought-provoking.
GabrielKnight
March 27, 2011
The acting is solid, but unfortunately the story development is rushed, it felt like the events took place over several days rather than months or perhaps years. The sense of timeline just isn't there. As a result, the main character's "transformation" was not convincing. Also, it felt like he was declared KIA way too soon - just not how it happens in real life.
January 18, 2009
a really wonderful portrayal of the changing roles between people and just how close we are to the edge of everything and the salvation of everything.
Michael A.
April 25, 2012
So much better than the recent hollywood remake..
January 31, 2012
A brilliant movie. The American version didn't have half the impact.
February 20, 2011
definitely recommend
June 18, 2011
Very good movie that, of course, American cinema later ruined.
rsinatra
December 5, 2010
Great movie, infinitely better than that cheap American remake.
Faroeislander
May 16, 2010
This is a movie that I thought I had rated a long time ago, but I just found out that I hadn't. I haven't seen the Hollywood-remake yet, but if it's as good as this Susanne Bier directed original then I must see it soon.
jim w.
May 15, 2010
A mat mature movie.But do for those people of denmark I doubt their feeling about this as they are also may pretend to be sorrow within the blanket which seem only touch by the things.
kingofthecorn
May 9, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

Very well-acted and directed.

January 26, 2010