Kumo no mukô, yakusoku no basho (The Place Promised in Our Early Days) Reviews

3niR
April 9, 2010
The only part I enjoyed is the ending. And the whole movie was so boring man!
½ March 20, 2007
An achingly beautiful, poetic, simple movie about love and limitlessness.

Makoto Shinkai > Hayao Miyazaki. Everything Shinkai has ever done has touched me profoundly.
Harlequin68
½ November 26, 2014
In "The Place Promised in Our Early Days," Hiroki and Takuya are a couple of childhood friends who go to work at a junkyard in the middle of nowhere in exchange for parts, so they can repair an airplane that they intend to fly in order to explore a mysterious tower just across the border. Soon after, they are joined by Sayuri, another friend.

After which, "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" jumps ahead seven years. And what I had initially thought of as a movie about the near future(unless I missed something), becomes something much more interesting and weirder in simultaneously taking on the topics of dreams and parallel realities, in this case a plausible sounding one where Japan like Korea and Germany is divided after World War II. So while this is the rare science fiction movie, albeit an animated one, that is truly evocative, it also proves that alternate realities can be just as headache inducing as time travel and I mean that as the highest compliment. Now, if the ending had only made a little more sense...
½ December 1, 2011
From Makoto Shinkai's three best-known pieces, The Place Promised in Our Early Days possesses the most pronouncedly plot-oriented narrative: An ambiguous love triangle, a symbolic separation of worlds, and characteristic to Makoto, an open-ended and beautifully depressing conclusion. The characters of The Place Promised in Our Early Days are rather stationary and similar to those in Shinkai's other productions, are young, quiet, wounded, idealistic, and marvellously uninteresting. The characters are simple but their raw emotions are beautifully portrayed. Above other merits, characters in this movie are representative of good sense, human integrity, and beautiful resilience to losing love, being alone and growing up.
½ December 21, 2011
The Place Promised in Our Early Days is a complex and sophisticated story told in a complex and sophisticated manner. You will doubtless be confused by the story many times along and some may still be confused at the end because so much is implied or expressed visually rather than stated in words. The story is based in quantum physics and the many universes hypothesis and set in one of the alternate universes that hypothesis posits, but like most good science fiction it is not really about the scientific ideas. It is a story about love -- in its many forms, including romantic love, love for a friend, love of adventure, and love for one's country -- and about commitment. Visually, it is beautiful. This is anime as fine art. An excellent anime!
½ August 15, 2010
Ignore the American trailer for this flick, which advertises the movie as a futuristic, WWII-like drama; instead, read the title a few times and you'll have a pretty good idea how somber the film is (now add some Sci-Fi).
December 3, 2009
This is Makoto Shinkai's only feature length movie, even then, it's short, at only 90 minutes. I guess he can't do long. It's also the one I watch the least, not because it isn't amazing, it is, but because of the length; I like to be able to put something quick on sometimes, when I only have a short amount of time to waste. Now, this has all the amazing backgrounds, and long camera angles, and lighting would comes to expect from him, and it definitely fits within his realm of topics, because again, there's love and friendship that is forced apart, this time, causing the two main characters to go against each other, but neither has forgotten the girl they both loved, and the promised they made to her. It then becomes them deciding she is more important then they are, and they set off to fulfill the promise. As it's his longest, Shinkai puts a few more ideas into it; this one has more politics and background for side characters, then his other three. Also again, I find myself relating to his ideas and themes, and think he's created a viable masterwork (a term I'd use to describe all his movies).
January 11, 2009
very impressive. another visual masterpiece of Shinkai. it made me interested in dreams and psychology. very interesting film.
March 27, 2008
At times very beautiful, and at other times very slow and almost boring. A melancholy drama that comes up a bit short, could've been stronger. The characters (as with Shinkai's 'Voices of a Distant Star') are separated by an obstacle that interferes with their love lives. I felt as though he took a similar theme (a life altering moment that is never forgotten) and for this film stretched it out to 90 minutes. Liked it, didn't love it.
½ December 27, 2007
Hmm...it was nice to look at, but the pacing was awfully slow. I guess the movie is supposed to be slow to symbolize the loneliness and sadness of the characters and their bonds of love and friendship. Still...I was not entertained.
½ July 13, 2007
Interesting but kinda confusing. I love the atmosphere and background here. Story is kinda silly though. A good mind trip anime if your in the mood for one.
½ March 9, 2007
Okay i saw this on my friends Laptop like awhile ago and it was subtitled. it seemed okay if you tried not to read the words and just watched. :)
November 4, 2006
A disappointingly short movie, in a good way I suppose. A very distant relationship between a boy and girl as one is stationed out in outer space. The two struggle to keep in contact, and their love is tested. Tearjerker.
½ January 4, 2015
Not quite a four star film but better than three stars. This film is a beautifully told story. Two teenage friends attempt to build a plane together and fall in love with the same girl. Truth be told that is probably sub-story of the overall film, which itself is quite hard to explain because there is so much going on. The animation is very mature and the ending is almost heart-breaking. I watched it in Japanese with subtitles and is one of the few anime I would genuinely recommend. Though the film may not suit younger children because they would get bored very easily. Though for everyone else it's definitely worth a watch, especially for anime fans.
December 21, 2014
Amazing artwork. Horrible plot.
Harlequin68
½ November 26, 2014

November 22, 2014
The self-absorbed narrative and melodramatic plot overshadowed the poetic and sublime animation.
June 10, 2014
This is like 5 Centimeters Per Second, if that movie wasn't a fairy tale. This has all the visuals, beauty, and emotion as 5 Centimeters Per Second, just a different setting and situation. Since I loved 5 Centimeters Per Second, I rather enjoyed this movie too. Definitely check it out.
March 25, 2014
kinda boring at the beginning, but when the main plot of the story revealed, suddenly you will love this one
February 15, 2014
es bonita, pero se vuelve tediosa por el exceso de "pensamientos" de los personajes