Ark

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Ark Reviews

Mattiator
October 7, 2010
Ark is another CG anime film, from developer Digital Rim. The plot revolves around 2 civilizations, one warlike and the other peaceful. After centuries of war, the planet is on the brink of destruction. The peaceful race has built a giant robot with a city contained within. The city is starting to fall apart, and only one girl with mysterious powers can let the civilizations escaped the doomed planet by piloting the giant robot. So yeah, the plot is pretty generic. The graphics are stylized, but the graphics are mediocre in comparison with Appleseed and Vexille. The action scenes are boring and make little sense. The only really good parts of the film is the voice acting. Everyone sounds pretty good, and all the voices suit the characters. The villain is laughable, but the morals used by the film are at least respectable. This film can be pretty hard to find, and I wouldn't bother trying to look too hard for it. There's just so much better out there that you can afford to skip it.

OVERALL: 6.0/10
November 22, 2009
Fantastic and original sci-fi CGI anime. Really great ending!
sandrastarwatcher
February 24, 2008
really want to see this one
December 8, 2007
New animation and great plot
BleachFreak147
December 3, 2007
it was pretty cool movie! >.<
i hate the ending thouh...
why did she have to die??
joyouskiss
October 29, 2007
Beautiful 3-D universe and interesting characters. Only disappointment I had with this animation is that it neglected to show subtitles for the hearing inpaired (me). Since this animation has lots talking going on, the lip-reading isn't easy. Doesn't take away from the incrediable life like movie.
ASA232
July 30, 2007
Great animation...
Great Story ,2 city's built on the back of 2 huge robots, that are mobile..and battle for survival!!
yar63
June 23, 2007
Awsome! I've seen it 3 times already & I still like it as much as the first time. I loved it.
damew
May 23, 2007
The titan were great
March 30, 2007
beautiful animation.
zyy321dory
December 16, 2006
it RAWKS! I especially loved the story and the characters (detailed) though the design wasn't AS my style. But, in general, I like russian stuff. (Aeon Flux, anyone?)
WittyIdiot
December 10, 2005
The planet Alcyone has been ravaged by a great war forcing the people of the planet, the Storrions and the Ceveans to live in a domed city built on the back of a giant machine. A legend says a Godess that helped build the machine is the only one who can pilot it to a new planet. The Storrions however have forced the Ceveans out of the domed city to live in the wastelands or work as slaves and the Storrions believe they can get the machine to work themselves.

My first impression of Ark is that it was at least in part inspired by the video game series Final Fantasy. The breathtaking scope of the domed city to the design of the movies villain and most of that character's and other's clothing all reminded me of Final Fantasy. Even the animation is similar to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within although not as realistic looking. The story is good and there is almost no end to the parallels that can be drawn between the movie and situations in the real world. Where Ark falters is with the voice acting. James Woods is the only recognisable name in the credits and most of the characters dialogue seems flat and unemotional or over acted.

I'm giving Ark a 6 because I don't think it would stand up to repeated viewings. If you like Final Fantasy or enjoy animated films that aren't just for kids Ark is worth a look.
pyxiestyxie
July 24, 2005
I just watched this movie today... I really liked it.. but then I am a CG freak. Go figure? Beautiful work though! :)