Face Reviews

November 1, 2011
Typical Asian horror movie. Nothing really new here. That creepy girl with the hair hanging down over her face, etc, has gotten so overdone. Move on already.
½ February 7, 2009
The most original thing about Face is that it is derivative of not one, but two genres. So not only do we get a seen-it-all-before Asian Ghost story, but we all get a been-there-done-that serial killer thriller. It struggles with the balance between the two. The best thing about Face is the length. I suppose if you are going to feed the audience such a familiar tale, you can at least make it quick. The film shoves in as much as it can and is rarely dull. It could have been interesting with the whole facial reconstruction thing, and maybe even a tense thriller. However it doesn't seem like the writers bothered to do much research into that aspect and so left it lingering in the background.
½ March 8, 2008
Great film!
½ March 7, 2009
A rather quick moving korean mystery tale that starts out rather gory, and then proceeds to use a sledgehammer to introduce the ghostly supernatural elements. Still this would have been a passable watch except for the last 15 minutes; there we experience the obligatory twist and a far-fetched coincidence that tests the viewer's patience. Overall, it is decent entertainment more so because of the acting rather than the script. However, it's just nothing new or original in the k-horror genre.
March 28, 2013
Korean horror movie in the typical Asian fashion - white-faced girl ghost with the hair covering most of her face, bizarrely moving over surfaces. Hyeon-jun Shin is a bit too sedate in his performance of a father grieving for his ill daughter, but Yong-Ah Song is wonderful as the assistant. Not a riveting story, but put together well enough to hold my attention. Not scary, little gore; it does register as being slightly creepy, but just barely.
June 10, 2008
This movie was bizarrely gripping for me. i wouldn't call it excellent but I was happy with it. Some of the dream sequences were well done.
½ May 13, 2014
Films between May 15, 2004 - May 19, 2004.
May 13, 2014
This movies is real shit !! Nothing happens, don't except to see something scare you . It's just a really bad bad korean copy of classical japanese horror movies as Ring or Juon, even if you watch it close you can see the same scene as in these 2 movies .
½ December 23, 2011
Peiseu (Sang-gon Yoo, 2004)

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but by coincidence, I ended up watching two Asian films about the underground organ-harvesting trade in one day. This is the one I knew covered that information, and it's the one I liked less, albeit slightly less; while there's a lot of good material here, and it's all well-presented, you're not going to find anything here you haven't seen before, probably many times.

Hyun-min Lee (The Legend of the Shadowless Sword's Hyun-jun Shin) is Korea's premiere facial reconstruction artist, but he quit his job recently in order to move to the country with his daughter, who has a congenital heart defect and is not expected to live longer without a transplant. She's currently off living with Grandma while he finishes cutting his ties with the institute where he works (where are all these jobs where people beg you to stay when you quit? I see them in movies all the time, but in real life, not so much...), but on the day before he's supposed to leave, Sun-yeong Jeong (Arang's Yun-ah Song), an up-and-coming university student whose greatest desire is to study under him, turns up with a box containing a skull. He refuses her, but she will only take a conditional no for an answer; she tells him she's leaving the box with him overnight and will be back to pick it up the next day. Cue haunting. When she comes back, the skull is out and mounted, though he has no memory of doing it, and so he reluctantly starts the process, both figuring out who belongs to this skull and mentoring Sun-yeong in the process. Meanwhile, other bodies are being discovered, and the ghosts haunting Hyun-min seem to be trying to point him to the killer.

Peiseu is a movie that's trying to be a little too much at once, I think. There's the obvious romance angle, there's the police procedural/mystery angle, there's the creepy-long-haired-ghost angle. Any two of those together would probably have worked well, but the material feels stretched a little thin, and it's likely you'll see the Big Twist(TM) coming a mile away. But it's all quite stylish and easy on the eyes; it's not an hour and a half you'll find yourself regretting, though you may want to just watch some of the other movies that did it just as well the first time around. ** 1/2
February 14, 2010
Esperaba un poco mas, la trama no logra ser lo suficientemente intensa. Se vuelve predecible incluso al inicio de la pelicula si el espectador es logra notar ciertos detalles. Para verla solo una vez...