2005 Oscar Nominations Are In!

Summary

Like most pathetic movie geeks, I was up at the crack of dawn (ok, 8:30am eastern time) to see how my nomination prediction ballot would measure up. (I was perfect on all 20 acting nods and all 10 screenwriting nods, but I erroneously predicted that "Walk the Line" would get nominated over "Capote" for Best Picture, and I picked Croneberg for director over Benett Miller.) Anyhow, here are the nominations for us to rant and rave about for the next five weeks... Back to Article

Comments

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

how was Episode III not nominated for best FX? And would it have been so hard for the Academy to throw some small amount of love towards Sin City?

And how the hell was Serenity not nominated for Best Picture??? (but not winking)

Right on all three counts! The FX in Narnia were atrocious!

Jan 31 - 09:19 AM

haelohm

Sean Collen

[b]fx[/b]
Harry Potter and Episode 3 should've been nominated over Narnia and Kong for best fx...and im stoked John Williams recieved 2 nominations...he deserves them!

Jan 31 - 09:28 AM

hattori hanzo

derek knight

Munich had the best score out of ANY movie this year, constant gardener second. I never saw geisha. I dropped my popcorn all over the floor when munich started, the begining title and the end theme is among the best work he has ever done.

Jan 31 - 06:16 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

Where I live, you don't usually see the best picture oscar awarded until well after 1 am and I always fight through the crap of the marathon and stay awake to see it. This year however, I'll watch a good basketball game instead and see the Oscar highlights on CNN the next morning and hope that 'Crash' will have won best picture.

Jan 31 - 09:33 AM

Rowsdower42

Kyle Van Son

Where the hell is "So Long, And Thanks for all the Fish" for best song?! You cannot deny that that was the most original thing you've heard this year.

Jan 31 - 09:38 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

I agree with Rowsdower42 and go one further. "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the song of the year!

Jan 31 - 10:35 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Jan 31 - 10:35 AM

LEGENDc

Christopher Haskew

[b]Although they wont win[/b]
Two nominations this year(yes only two) i am excited over.
Amy Adams-Junebug Best Supporting Actress
Terrance Howard- Hustle and Flow Best Actor

Munich?
Where is Fernando Meirelles nomination?
Capote?
Where is Squid and the Whale?
Where are Oldboy and Kung Fu Hustle?

Jan 31 - 10:48 AM

swc882

Scott C

I also am only happy about Amy Adams and Terrence Howard. They were both terrific.

Jan 31 - 01:03 PM

DreCosby

David Gonzalez

I'm not that surprised, but still disappointed that they gave King Kong technical achievements but not Sin City. The only surprise was Batman Begins getting a nomination. I thought that they didn't watch comic book movies. The Academy?s guilt will decide Best Picture. Since a lot of them probably say that they have "a black friend", but not "a gay friend", Brokeback Mountain will win over Crash.

Jan 31 - 11:00 AM

Koooomar

Bobby Jubraj

[b]WHAT THE HELL!!!![/b]
This is the most pasthetic list i've seen all year! I'm sorry, i saw capote, and honestly, it was a good film, but no way does it deserve to be up there when "A history of violence" and "the new world" were almost infintely better films. And is it just me, or does anybody else think that Christian Bale for "The Machinist" was the most overlooked performance of the year. And dont even get me started on how Q'Orianka Kilcher was royally screwed over for best actress nomination. She's 16 Years old!!! And it's true "LEGENDc", what happened to Oldboy, Kung fu hustle, 2046? these are the most lame nominations i've ever read. I'm going to be tuning into the first 5 minutes just to see John stewart and then i'll be tuning out and not even caring who wins. CRASH IS OVERATED!!!!!!!

Jan 31 - 11:03 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

None of these awards are about acting -- they're popularity contests... There's no purity to it whatsoever.

Again, I offer proof that it's all BS: Ed Harris and Johnny Depp have never won oscars (and these are 2 of the most versatile actors out there).

Jack Nicholson is an enjoyable actor to watch, but I haven't seen much range from him (my wife says he had some in About Schmidt, but I didn't see it) -- he's always played the same sort of cat.

The same goes for most of the hollywood darlings that are considered "good" actors/actresses... They play their roles well...but they don't escape that proverbial box (and Heath Ledge playing a stony gay man isn't getting outside of the box).

Here's what I've noticed you need to get nominated for certain categories (redux):

Best Actor: Play crazy, emotionally distraught, play gay (this is a new, "in", entrance), be Russell Crowe :), or in some other shape or form be abnormal (and thus, unrelatable so that your "acting" can be deemed superb, when it's usually just superfluous).

Best Actress: Usually you have to be on the crueler side of the looks category, ugly yourself up, be trailer trashish, be crazy, play gay, or in some semblance be stereotypically adverse.

For any actor/actress category: act retarded

Best Picture: Sweeping Epics might be out for awhile due to the 3 Lord of The Rings movies, but your odds are good if you create a movie that can be deemed "controversial," "politically poignant," or "societally telling."

I agree w/ Koooomar -- if Heath Ledger gets a nod for playing gay, Bale should get one for starving himself to near death (then again, The Machinist probably wasn't sent to the doorstep of every member of The esteemed Academy).

Jan 31 - 11:20 AM

Cindy_Lou_Who

Cindy Granger

I agree with Koooomar that the list is pathetic and that Crash is overated, but given this year's sorry Best Picture list, I agree with Dracus in hoping that Crash will win. However, unless they can fiind a gay character in it, I'm afraid it doesn't stand a chance :)

Jan 31 - 11:27 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]wrong[/b]
Crash is not over rated! Stop with the Crash bashing just because of the purpose and intent of the movie. I've seen multiple interviews with Bullock and the purpose was to raise awareness and start the dialog. Don't hate on Crash because you disagree with the message. And don't dismiss crash becuase of your own personal bias. The acting in Crash was phenomenal and moving, well deserved noms for Matt Dillion and the crew.

Jan 31 - 12:47 PM

swc882

Scott C

Crash is the worst movie to ever be nominated for Best Picture. It is so manipulative and over=dramatic that it is almost laughable.

Jan 31 - 01:05 PM

Bizzle666

Barry Kirkham

wow u dont kno wut ur fucking talking about. Crash is not the worst picture and it is not manipulative u bastard

Feb 28 - 11:22 PM

hattori hanzo

derek knight

If they really need to raise the awareness of racism in a blatantly obvious way then maybe the states and Canada should be nuked. Fucking people never think about what is important; we don?t need a goddamn film in order to understand things. The only reasons it is there is because of Naive people who don?t know shit and are 'Enlightened" by it. I would puke if this opened anyone?s eyes in L.A.
Sonofabitch I live in a small backwater town in Canada and it didn?t surprise me at all. A good film, but not Oscar good, ok it is but only in performances, the screenplay wasn?t that good Paul haggis screenplays only ever work because of good directors, or maybe the directors only work because of the screenplays, whatever it is it wasn?t the filmmaking. All I got out of crash was the same angry people as real life, no surprise, no "Enlightenment"

Jan 31 - 06:41 PM

swc882

Scott C

Jan 31 - 01:03 PM

swc882

Scott C

Jan 31 - 01:05 PM

Bizzle666

Barry Kirkham

Feb 28 - 11:22 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Although the only nominee I've seen so far is Crash, and I enjoyed it well enough, I do have to wonder what people are smoking when they suggest Kung Fu Hustle, unless it's in jest. Don't get me wrong, it's a thoroughly enjoyable movie, but best picture material? I think not.

Jan 31 - 01:39 PM

LEGENDc

Christopher Haskew

Kung Fu Hustle best Foreign Film. Why NOT?

Jan 31 - 01:49 PM

LEGENDc

Christopher Haskew

Kung Fu Hustle best Foreign Film. Why NOT?

Jan 31 - 01:49 PM

Simple

Clint Bell

I'm shocked and amazed that Star Wars did not get an FX nom. It's right there with King Kong. The SFX list needs to be expanded to 4 or 5 films.

Nice to see John Williams get 2 nominations. Hell, you could argue a 3rd. o_O

Jan 31 - 02:11 PM

William Wallace

Robert Cross

Did Star Wars do something you haven't seen before?

C'mon, we've all seen every Star Wars and all it is is Lucas throwing as much on the screen as possible.

Go Kong.

Feb 1 - 02:37 AM

lancerbird13

Clark Metheny

Crash was well done..but in my opinion it had no right to be nominated for best pic...A History Of Violence for me please...

Jan 31 - 02:29 PM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

Where the feck is Jarhead??? At least it deserved a cinematography nom. if nothing else. Also King Kong and History of Violence got snubbed mostly, sons of bitches... Oh and where the hell is Grizzly Man in best Doc.??? Otherwise the nominations were ok, but a lot was a load of bullocks.

Jan 31 - 02:41 PM

DreCosby

David Gonzalez

The purpose of Crash was to raise awareness? Well I guess it really is the worst of the year. I almost liked it because of something unintentional. While watching it, I hated it and thought the movie was going to end with a big inspirational anti-racism speech. It didn't so I interpreted it to not be about racism, but about how people can change in an instant. I didn't like that the characters were clichéd stereotypes, but thats when I realized that I stereotyped the characters and the movie and they both turned out to be different than I thought they were. If it really was about awareness then it is hackneyed pretentious garbage. If the clichés weren't intentional, then the only way to like it is because of guilt. I learned to hate people for who they really are a long time ago. Still, its better than Elektra. Then again, almost anything is better than that.

Jan 31 - 02:48 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]VOILA!!!![/b]
THERE IT IS MY FRIEND THAT IS WHY CRASH IS GREAT READ YOUR ENTIRE POST! Everyone read his post!!!!! Look at the thought process that went through his head while watching and analyzing the film!!!! You fell for it! It got to you!!! Look at your reaction and response! Isn't it wonderful! Something like Crash can be so profound we don't even understand it when its happening! MAGICAL HUH????

Feb 1 - 08:59 AM

DreCosby

David Gonzalez

Magical? No, not really. Crash is a lot like the Uncle Tom's Cabin of today's world. Nobody cares that it is mediocre because of its controversial themes. I didn't really think about it while I was watching it. There were two good scenes and that was it. And when I thought about it, it was only because I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. But remember it was unintentional. You said it yourself. The movie was meant to raise awareness. I already know that racism exists and don't need to be preached to about it for two hours with clichés. And Matt Dillon best supporting actor? All he had to do was pretend to be angry. How hard can that be?

Feb 2 - 04:32 PM

chakaKAAAHHHN!

Patrick Foote

It is bullshit that Grizzly Man did not get a nom, but by some technicality it got thrown out of the running. IT WOULD HAVE WON. Mark my words.

Jan 31 - 04:25 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast