Rent

Rent

46%

Rent Reviews

Adam R ½ February 10, 2010
135 minutes of wasted time. That is how I measure the impact this movie has had on my life. Rent is a dark movie with odd and unappealing songs. It is probably my least favorite musical ever. (First and only viewing - 7/31/2011)
Ronny S July 9, 2014
The true definition of "hipster". For every good ten seconds in this movie, there is ten minutes that destroy it. This film forces the audience to hate it. You will find yourself sighing more and more until you ask yourself "why am i watching this?" still, you will fight it and force yourself to watch it, only to gain nothing in the end.
Jason E July 5, 2014
The film loses a lot of the magic and freshness exuded by the broadway show. Still, if you're at all a fan of the music and show, you are able to forgive a lot.
Steve D June 13, 2007
Best musical ever. Love the return of the old cast and the new ones fit right in
Josť M ½ June 15, 2014
The performances are strong, particularly those from Rosario Dawson and Tracie Thoms, but Rent fails to bring the Broadway show to the big screen with its clumsy editing, weak, uninspired direction and a bad positioning of its songs, which rank from amazing ("Take Me or Leave Me") to incredibly unnecesary ("Today 4 U").
Carl T ½ May 27, 2014
I like the film despite its flaws, but on the whole, I don't feel the film really captures the true spirit of the stage show
Jiana W ½ May 22, 2014
When this came out, the movie and the soundtrack were a big deal to a lot of people. I remember enjoying everything about this movie more back then as a freshman in college than I did almost 10 years later.

I don't like most of the songs, or that 80s-90s rock sound they are backed with. I dislike Roger's voice. It always sounded like he was straining and his voice was about to crack any moment. Angel is probably the best character, and Maureen is the most interesting to follow.
Some of the characters in Rent are uncharmingly pretentious about their way of life. For instance, Mark does not want to take a job at a TV station because he believes it would be selling out, although all the crap in his apartment has been pitched and technically he and his buddies are now considered squatters. It is also never really established why Maureen and Joanne, POLAR opposites, are drawn to each other. Their differences would be fine except they don't seem to like each other's qualities much at all.

Yep... not as wonderful as I remembered it to be.
Luke G ½ January 7, 2012
No day but today!!! Rent is the story of AIDS, overcoming struggles, moving on with life, tragedy, betrayal, forgiveness, and friendship. The love and power behind the music and the stupendous cast help pull an emotional string from everyone who watches this film. Fantastic
Carlos H October 22, 2012
CON CANCIONES MUY PEGADIZAS, PERO LE FALTA ESA GRAN HISTORIA Y TAL VEZ SE VEA MEJOR EN OBRA DE TEATRO QUE EN EL CINE
KevinRobbins KevinRobbins ½ April 9, 2014
How about love

This is the story of a group of friends living in an apartment complex. They are all reasonably young adults dealing with love, sex, poverty, and aspirations. When one of their friends becomes the owner of the building, he completely changes his behavior towards all his old friends. Can the friends survive the brutal nature and expectations of their former friend?

"She dumped me for a lawyer named Joanne."

Chris Columbus, director of Home Alone, Home Alone 2, Mrs. Doubtfire, Nine Months, Stepmom, Bicentennial Man, Harry Potter and the Scorer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secrets, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief, delivers Rent. The storyline for this picture is actually quite compelling and the conclusion is very solid. The songs were okay, but not great, and the acting was above average but not fantastic. The cast includes Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs, Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, and Tracie Thoms.

"The sweetest milk I ever tasted."

Rent is a movie my girlfriend brought to my attention so I decided to give it a shot. I felt the majority of the film was fairly average, but the last 20-30 minutes is very dramatic and well done. I didn't love the musical numbers, they're just okay. Overall, this is definitely worth a viewing but may not be worth adding to your DVD collection.

"How are we going to pay last year's rent?"

Grade: B-
Tim G April 5, 2014
Decent attempt at an on-screen adaptation, but the emotion of the music is lost on film
Marco F ½ September 16, 2007
RENT is a film version of a Broadway musical is for the most part fun to watch, but I found it very distracting: as a movie, it's so stagy and so pretentious- in fact the whole ordeal of making it may even be a pointless exercise. Why see this when you can see the musical, which is far better suited to this material?
cappieforpresident cappieforpresident March 27, 2014
Good singing, but oh so boring movie! Also, the acting sucked.
Greg W ½ March 26, 2014
one of the better 'modern' musicals.
Paul M March 25, 2014
some parts were really annoying. didn't have a story. didn't have a plot. did not care at all for these people. boring as hell.
cosmo313 cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
At one point in time, I would have said that I would probably go my whole life without ever watching this film adaptation of one of the longest running and most popular Broadway musicals of all time, that is also loosely based on the opera La Boheme. What changed all that? Well, this film is one of the favorites of my most recent ex, and, during our time together I had her watch several of my favorite films, so why not be fair and watch some of hers.

And, surprisingly, I actually kinda liked this, and more than I thought I would.

The story, set in 1989/1990 New York concerns a group of friends struggling to eek out an existence in the Bohemian neighborhood of Alphabet City. Besides being a bunch of hipstery artists and creative types, what unites these people is their shared struggles with poverty, and, in some cases, addiction recovery, and the AIDS epidemic. Pretty grim stuff for a musical, but obviously it has worked.

When this film adaptation was announced, I vaguely remember a lot of people getting irked because not only were they making it PG-13, but it was being director Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, the first two Harry Potter films). Still, even then, it got a decent reception, even with some pretty mixed views as well.

When it came to pass that I finally saw this, I tried to be open minded about it, both in general, and because I'm a good guy and a great boyfriend.

And yeah, I ended up actually kinda liking it. Ganted, it's overlong, and yeah, with Columbus directing it, it is a very shiny, pretty movie that downplays a lot of the grimness and grittier stuff, but even then it still manages to get the point across .I do think this would be an even better and stronger work if it was darker, grittier, and more streamlined, but that's how I would feel no matter who directed it.

As for the music, it's good. Very contemporary Broadway show tunes style, but I expected that. Sometimes it gets a bit rock operaish, which is cool, but it's mostly very popish. In my ideal version, it'd have more of an edgier rock presence, but whatever.

The cast (almost all of whom are reprising their roles from the stage) are terrific, really nailing both the singing and the characters and their chemistry with one another. Again, since most of them are reprisals, it was expected, but nevertheless cool. As for the new people (like Rosario), they do fine too. No real complaints here.

In my review for Frozen, I mentioned how the music was very Broadway show tuneish, something I shouldn't be too surprised about since Idina Menzel features prominently in both.

The set pieces are well done, the subject matter is still relatable and relevant, and this movie gives you a lot to chew on.

The cinematography is pretty decent, and I recall at least one well executed long take, but a lot of it just feels like a filmed version of a play, which, depending on how you feel, is either good or bad. For me it depends on the thing in question, but here, I kinda wished it was less stagy, as that keeps the fiom from ultimately being it's own thing.

All in all, I ended up liking this a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I would. Yeah, it's not really my thing, and I think it is kinda overrated, but a lot of it just comes down to personal preferences with aesthetics. Yeah, it should be a lot less pretty and watered down, but at least they still get the point across.
Andrew C. D December 3, 2012
This came from the same man who directed Sorcerer's Stone? I guess if George Lucas could go from Star Wars to Howard the Duck then anything is possible, but I can't understand how Columbus could make one of the worst movies to ever waste perfectly good 35mm film stock.
Joanna C May 15, 2006
Very Entertaining with music, but too much talking.:(
Michael J January 26, 2014
unbearable. cringe-worthy. surprisingly bad.
Thomas W January 21, 2014
It's tempting to see because of most of the original cast reprising their roles, but it not worth it. It feels staged, some of the cast members looked too old to play their roles, and carries most of the problems from the stage version. I don't like the original stage show, but I hate this movie.