The New World Reviews

May 25, 2015
Terrence Malick's movie is visually beautiful, but the entire film lacks any sort of passion or drive. It is limp.
May 24, 2015
The visuals are splendid as well as the lead performances, and, while the script doesn't develop as well the main characters, it does them interesting enough to make the public worry about them and feel what they are feeling.
May 10, 2006
A great drama on the real story of John Smith and Pocohontas.
March 21, 2015
Oh how I love Terrence Malick films! So much natural beauty transferred to the screen. The langorous pacing that annoys some viewers I find deeply engaging. The magic seems to happen in the editing room with rapidly juxtaposed images and cuts that in spite of their disjointedness still seem to result in a visual rapture. Malick takes us into the heads of his subjects through voiceovers that make their inner monologues audible rather than through dialogue. This adds to the philosophical tone of his films. Apparently he does not like to use artificial lighting always preferring to manipulate the available natural light. However he does it, it works as this fils, like all his others is something to behold. Then there is the subject matter - first contact between English settlers and the native Americans of Virginia at Jamestown and the romance between John Smith and Pocahontas. Detailed historical recreations provides an authentic feel unsurpassed by any other cinematic telling of the story.
February 21, 2015
According to this movie, Pocahontas didn't "paint with the colors of the wind" so much as talk to herself in poetry all the time. Wait... I guess she hasn't changed too much after all since Disney.

Terrence Malick is a pretty good choice to direct this film. His involvement means a focus on the rich, beautiful landscapes, as well as a prolonged diversion into the minds of our protagonists, Pocahontas and John Smith.

Over all, everything comes together pretty well. The performances are good, the cinematography is pretty, and the story moves along logically and coherently. [I should note that I saw an extended version, so I imagine the pacing is better in the theatrical cut.] In addition, unlike recent works, Malick DOES have a decipherable narrative here. In the case of this historical epic I could, however, go for just a smidgen more story in place of some of the experiential moments he's known for (dancing in fields, for example).
July 24, 2007
So two men fall in love with the same women by barely speaking to each other, randomly walking through forest and meadows? Ok? Things finally pick up when Bales shows up because Colin Farrell is a snore.
February 10, 2015
Boring. Sooo boring. Wow, so boring.
½ January 30, 2015
I like Terrence Malick films, they always have this visual appeal that is undeniable. This film tells the story of Pocahontas, and while the story is somewhat engaging, it lacked enough story to keep me truly invested. I like this, I thought it was well shot, it just didn't keep my wanting more the way other Malick films have and do. It could be that the subject matter of Pocahontas hasn't ever appealed to me, but it isn't the best Malick film in my opinion.
½ December 15, 2014
For my second Terrence Malick film (and there aren't too many), I have chosen THE NEW WORLD. It's basically the story of Pocahontas, starting from the settlement of Jamestown when she met John Smith to her later life when she married John Rolfe and moved to England. Of course, being that this is Terrence Malick, the minutiae of historical details aren't really adhered to and the story is told in rather broad strokes, making sure to hit all of the important historical moments but generally being a slower and more contemplative meditation on the themes that its director is interested in. While I was perfectly fine with the abstract story in THE TREE OF LIFE, I felt that it didn't quite work as well here. Still, Malick has crafted a stunningly beautiful film that explores themes of discovery, conflict, the search for happiness, and making the most out of difficult situations. What I thought worked very well was a restrained use of voiceover that served as internal monologues. Absent a lot of dialogue, this provided an essential window into the various characters. I also loved the numerous shots of natural beauty which were expertly captured by Malick's frequent cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezski. As far as acting is concerned, everyone gave a really good performance, although the cast was subordinate to the imagery. The score was also excellent, and in particular I liked the simple piano theme that played when John Smith and Pocahontas were onscreen together. However, despite all of this really positive stuff I do think that the film dragged a bit in places and I found my mind wandering somewhat. I suppose it would have helped if this wasn't a story based in historical fact. That way I wouldn't have had expectations about how it should have been presented. Honestly, I would have a preferred a more straightforward telling, but what I got wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Overall, this is a technically superb film that has some interesting observations on life, but it did subvert my expectations a little bit.
½ December 21, 2014
Though it still falls apart a bit in the third act this may be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
December 7, 2014
Um dos Melhores Filmes de Sempre. O são dois novos mundos neste filme, o que o Inglês vai descobrir e aquele que Pocahontas descobre. Ambas as descobertas no centro da palavra "novo", e que distingue o filme de Malick é como firmemente ele se recusa a saber mais do que deveria na Virgínia em 1607 ou em Londres alguns anos mais tarde. Os acontecimentos em seu filme, incluindo as batalhas trágicas entre os índios e os colonos, parecem estar acontecendo pela primeira vez. Ninguém aqui leu um livro de história do futuro é uma experiência sensorial a 3 dimensoes (som, visao e audição)por natureza, e para passar levemente os dedos pelo cabelo de alguém em O Novo Mundo.
½ June 27, 2007
An uneventful take on Pocahontas. Even Bale can't save this one.
½ November 11, 2014
I'm hoping audiences come back to this one and realize the many great things about it.
July 6, 2011
A schmaltzy, self-indulgent piece of garbage. Even the Disney version was more effective than this.
January 2, 2008
Although not Malick's strongest work, it's still an amazingly-photographed spectacle with as many sweeping battle scenes as it does the serene navel-gazing poetic nature scenery we've come to expect from Terrence Malick.
July 26, 2014
"The Vanishing Indians" turns out to be a feel-good love story? No, thanks.
½ June 20, 2014
Malick has done it again. The New World is one of the best historical dramas out there. Easily the best portrayal of the story of Pocahontas and John Smith ever put on screen; sorry Disney :P. My only complaint about the film is that it really drags in some parts; especially the last 30 minutes. Q' Orianka Kilcher was superb as Pocahontas.
July 9, 2007
Beautiful but boring.
July 15, 2012
Schizophrenic storytelling prevents Malick's visually awe-inspiring take on the settling of Jamestown from being the masterpiece it could have been
March 27, 2014
An overlong and head-scratching romantic drama about the doomed love affair between Pocahontas, a Native American girl; and Captain John Smith, an English explorer - with strong performances by the cast and beautiful cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki.