Yesterday Reviews

½ June 30, 2009
Una pelicula tan conmovedora que resulta inolvidable, la abnegación de la mujer africana representando la problematica de su pais, sin duda un retrato cruel pero bien realizado hacerca del problema del sida en Africa, es curioso que la trama resultara tan buena que hasta cierto canal de television se la fusilara para uno de sus programas de television, si bien asi el mensaje de la pelicula se difundio mas esto no disculpa el echo de robarse la idea de una pelicula tan buena para volverlo un capitulo telenovelero.
½ October 12, 2013
Thank you the Nelson Mandala Foundation for bringing this wonderful story alive. This is a very sensitive story about love, survival and friendship. Leleti Khumalo plays Yesterday who is courageous and a loving mother who catches AIDS from her husband. Sadly for mother and daughter he returns to die and Yesterday soldiers on looking after him while she was becoming more ill herself. She finally sees her young daughter go to school for the first time as she was determined that Beauty would have an education unlike herself. Thought provoking and well acted movie depicts the terrible living conditions. Throughout parts of Africia HIV/AIDS is still transmitted and today it is still a major health concern 91% of the World's HIV positive children live there. One million adults and children die from HIV/AIDS per year in Africa alone, this is incredibly sad !!
½ November 24, 2010
Set in the Zulu culture of Sub-Saharan South Africa, this film takes an unprecedented look at a mother-daughter relationship, the political and medical problems of the region, and the heartwarming compassion of a lone friend in a den of wolves. The film follows a mother named Yesterday, named so because her father liked living in the past. She gets sick and continually tries to make it to the overrun clinic to get checked out, every week, but without fail she always misses out thanks to a two hour trek down the dusty roads while towing her small daughter. Yesterday is a thoughtful, beautiful woman who seems to have compassion for everyone she meets and is always smiling though her situation seems dire. She makes a friend in the village who becomes the local teacher, and eventually they become friends. Yesterday's personality is what is queer and yet enticing about her. She is always so nice to every person she meets, and yet at the first sniff of disease or disorder they all become superstitious and shun her. The first part of the film deals with her troublesome life, the sadness she exhibits thanks to her small child, and telling her husband, who works in the mines of Johannesburg, of their fate. She cares for her husband, and though sickly and unable to take the cocktail of drugs that would surely save her here in the first world, she deteriorates and yet perseveres for her daughter's sake. It really is a labor of love that is shown onscreen, a story about a woman who has absolutely nothing and yet everything to lose. It does dip into melodrama, especially in the second half of the film, and certainly near the ending where she is making her amends, saying her goodbyes and making sure her daughter starts going to school. The relationship between her and her husband is especially interesting, bonding them in illness but separated by distance, time, and abuse. It's a very impactful and thoughtful film that also deals with the crisis in Africa and shows the true living conditions of an entire country. This film received accolades from foreign awards, and though it does range in its sentimentality, it does focus itself on what is important and imperatively true.
October 8, 2012
There is no holding back. Tears will roll.
½ September 19, 2012
great film. very touching.
March 14, 2012
Sounds like a wonderful drama I must check out.
½ December 29, 2011
Simple and beautiful.
July 10, 2011
A South African movie. This movie is very touching and inspiring. It shows what one mother, whose name was Yesterday had to endure while she and her husband battled AIDS while raising their daughter Beauty. A very engaging movie.
February 17, 2011
Slow moving but thoughtful film surely meant to educate a South African population about HIV. Mother named Yesterday has been feeling ill. She walks several miles to a clinic where there is a massive line. To come so far and not see a doctor is a wasted day - and tough for a woman of rural South Africa where life is hard. While out, Yesterday befriends an intelligent school-teacher in need of a job who comes to her small community without any teachers. Yesterday does soon get to see the doctor and the news is grim. She vows to live to see her daughter go to school. She must also track down her absentee husband working in the mines near Johannesburg. A thoughtful, educational film, still subtle in tone, but manages to get its message across. The film uses names as meanings and symbols very well. And the film's imagery is beautifully composed.
August 10, 2010
A Noble, hearbreaking movie...it's a must watch...
March 2, 2010
Nominated for best foreign film
December 26, 2009
SDad movie. Very moving , showing the affect of Aids on a whole family. I lvoed this movie the setting was beautiful and so was the story.
October 31, 2009
Thematically charged with great subject matter, but a bit flat.
½ September 2, 2009
A mother's love in the midst of a deadly illness, what a moving story! South Africa, this is a great one!
½ August 8, 2009
This is undoubtedly the most beautifully made movie I have ever watched. The only reason it doesn't feature higher up in my favourites is because not many movies can really compete with True Romance / Apocalypse Now / Platoon for me, and The Wall got me through that darkest of dark times, adolescence.
While the storyline has become, as shocking as it sounds, so commonplace as to not be as horrifying as it should be, situations like these (regardless of how many times a day I see them in my working life) still bring tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. The difference here, was that Yesterday was so unbelievably forgiving (of all those around her responsible for, and judgemental of, her condition) and optimistic (for her future and that of her child). She didn't give up, but rather fought against stigma and closed-mindedness, not only for the sake of her own health and sanity, but for her child as well. She also didn't bear a grudge against her husband, who treated her so badly, in spite of how she was judged for this, but rather cared for him as best as she could - that takes a heck of a lot of compassion and courage, and I don't know if I could ever act in such a selfless way.
Not only was the script beautifully written, but the acting was SUPERB, and the locations were amazing - reminding me of a farm I vaguely grew up on in the Eastern Cape.
I watched this film during a time in my life when I was feeling very jaded with people in general, the medical fraternity in particular, my country's health system, and my country in general, and this small independant film reaffirmed my faith in humanity, and made me want to be a doctor again - now I know what to do when next I want to hang up my stethoscope and escape to London to become a graffitti guru like Banksy ;D
August 18, 2009
Really touching movie. Excellant
½ March 7, 2008
The story of a zulu woman who must walk two miles each way to get to a doctor since she is ill and ultimately discovers she (and her husband) have HIV.
July 9, 2009
What an incredible story, a beautiful and exquisitely made film. The direction is outstanding, the performances are so real and moving, especially Leletyi Khumalo. Beautifully simple cinematography. Unforgettable and so very poignant. Excellent in all ways.