63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fateless Reviews

Cynthia S

October 31, 2010
This film is hard to watch, but the performances are profound and the cinematography is breath taking. The depths of suffering seem to be limitless, and thiis film portrays that brilliantly. I do not recommend this film for children. It is a mature work that is completely disturbing. While similar films capitalize on the Holocaust brutality, this is a different perspective regarding the erosive effects of the endless, dehumanizing routine upon the psyche. How anyone was able to survive one of these camps, then return to normal society, is beyond me.
Daniel P

May 14, 2007
There can be beauty anywhere - even in the Nazi death camps. This film is filled with touching moments, some of the rawest I've seen in film, and is an interesting take on the coming-of-age story: what if you spent your teens in a concentration camp? How would you look back on it?
Sarah G

September 24, 2006
it's not every day I see a hungarian film nor have I ever heard of an Hungarian film but this film will certainly make me find more Hungarian films.

This is a film which probably would not be done in a similar way in an English peaking film. Many of the scenes where certainly something I haven't seen before in an english speaking film, perhaps even a Hollywood movie.

Perhaps telling from a boy's point of view is why I belive it's such a special piece of cinema, unlike something I've ever seen.
William G

December 21, 2006
The cinematography's warm, the characters cold, and the territory familiar.
March 31, 2014
While I definitely think the subject matter is important and it's not a badly made film, it just wasn't for me. Or maybe it was just my mood the day I tried to watch it- but either way, I couldn't put myself through it. The acting is good, and it's not that it isn't interesting- I just couldn't put myself through it.
January 21, 2013
This is a great movie based on the autobiographical novel by Nobel Prize winning novelist Imre Kertész. It tells the story of a teenage Hungarian Jewish boy sent to the Nazi death camps near thye end of the war. The horrors of the camps, and of the Nazi's antisemitism in general, are well represented but not the major concern of the film. It is much more about survival -- bodily and spiritually -- amid the banality of evil in the camps. The viewer hopefully will agree with the boy in the end that life is worth living and that more important than the horrors is the reality that some happiness could be found even in the midst of the evil of Auschwitz and Buchenwald.
alienmindtrick
December 12, 2009
The highest compliment that I could give this film would be to call it the Hungarian 'Schindler's List'. Less showy or graphic than Spielberg's classic, 'Fateless' shows the horrors of Auschwitz-Birkenau and Buchenwald through the eyes of a young Hungarian Jew, György Köves, played so very well by Marcell Nagy. Köves detachment from the reality of the unrelenting cold, hunger, pain, and sadistic treatment comes across as confusion and disbelief. Yet, he slogs along, does what he's told by his Ukrainian friend, and makes it through to the American liberation. He survived the concentration camps remembering not only the suffering and death, but small moments of peace, like his favorite time of evening when supper was provided. Even though he was taken away at 14 and placed in the camps, upon his return home, his fellow Hungarians treat him with contempt. The monochromatic imagery reminds me of visits to Dachau, a place that seems forgotten by color and sunlight. You'll remember the film, but mainly you'll remember Marcell Nagy's incredible performance.
June 8, 2007
This movie is absolutely amazing in both its storyline as well as its cinematography...one of the best movies I have ever seen
November 6, 2012
the film name is fateless, but the film has a fate
August 5, 2012
The cinematography was amazing. This movie moved me beyond words. Seeing atrocities being carried out in a concentration camp through the eyes of a young boy in his teens made me weep. Its an intense tale of survival through unimaginable situations.
August 9, 2011
wow.........painful......
May 22, 2011
Very compelling and original take on the Holocaust. The story and acting could have been sufficient to make this a perfect film, if not for a few stumbles by veteran cinematographer but freshman director Lajos Koltai. Still, this is a very well done film overall, well worth seeing, and a movie that makes me interested to see more movies from Hungary.
February 20, 2011
Judy Segal and Jack Adler, child survivor of the HOLOCAUST. Great film..
jennifer's picks & pa
May 23, 2008
[b]Downfall (2005) - 7.4/10[/b]
Director - Oliver Hirschbiegel
Starring - Bruno Ganz, Juliane Kohler, Alexandra Maria Lara, Corinna Harfouch, Thomas Kretschmann, Ulrich Matthes.

Partially based on the memoirs of Traudl Junge (Alexandra Maria Lara), [i]Downfall [/i]takes a look at the last days of the Hitler Regime. Ms. Junge was the personal secretary to Adolph Hitler (Bruno Ganz). Hitler refuses to surrender and we see how he, and those closest to him, deal with the inevitable downfall.

Personally I found [i]Downfall [/i]to be a fascinating history lesson. Not as great as many proclaimed it to be, but definitely good. Perhaps it just felt a wee bit too much like a documentary film for me to call it brilliant.

[b]Fateless (2006) - 7.1/10[/b]
Director - Lajos Koltai
Starring - Marcell Nagy, Janos Ban, Andras M. Kecskes, Endre Harkyani, Joszef Gyabronka, Daniel Craig.

Marcell Nagy stars as Gyura Koves, a 14 year old Hungarian boy living in Nazi occupied Budapest. Gyura isn't particularly religious and just wants to go about normally. His father (Janos Ban) is sent to a labor camp, and soon Gyura follows suit, being shipped to several concentration camps.

[i]Fateless [/i]is a beautifully shot film with some disturbing imagery. Marcell Nagy does a terrific job as the young Gyura and Koltai does a fine job showing his mental and physical deterioation. Despite the concentration camp setting, it doesn't have the same feel as similar films mainly due to the very nature of Gyura's character. That said different doesn't necessarily make it better or more powerful. Nothing will match emotional level of [i]Schindler's List [/i]and I don't even put this in the same league as [i]The Pianist. [/i]Both of those films had a huge impact on me. This film had it's emotional moments, but the film itself wasn't sustained enough to leave a lasting impression. Good but not great.....
Doghouse952
June 25, 2007
[color=#ff6600][font=Arial][color=black][b]Fateless[/b][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#ff6600][font=Arial][color=black][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#ff6600][font=Arial][color=black][b]Technically this was a flawless film. From the direction to the cinematography to Ennio Morricone's soundtrack, I'd have to go a long way to think of another movie I appreciated in this same way. Unfortunately, the story itself didn't hold the same wonders for me and as a result, while watching a movie that visually took my breath away, I never really found myself caring for the main character or being able to take myself away from the natural comparisons with other Holocaust movies and the nagging sense that I wasn't seeing or learning anything new here. While I thought the movie was good, it didn't work for me because I never was able to connect to anyone and "feel" the movie. I haven't read the book and maybe it was the director's intention to never get into the 'hows' and 'whys' of the events, but just show us the story as written and allow us watch young Gyorgy's journey rather than take it with him. The movie did contain one of the more emotional scenes I've ever seen in a Holocaust movie and that was the scene when they lined the prisoners up and forced them to stand and watch prisoners who had unsuccessfully tried to escape hanging from gallows and some of the watchers started reciting the mourner's kaddish prayer.

There is a pervasive sense of loneliness in the movie that left me feeling more disturbed than I was with the graphic images of concentration camps.

I'd rate this movie a 7 out of 10 and would have difficulty recommending it to anyone unless they asked me first in which case I would tell them it would be worth their time.[/b][/color] [/font][/color]
inessalenin
August 6, 2006
Coincidently, the second-run theater set for "Eight Below" and "Shaggy Dog"! I was not desirable to see "Shaggy Dog", but other second-run theaters also bad combination set.
"Eight Below" was inspired by true event from Japan, it could count happy ending cause there are 6 dogs survived in the end. In Japan, it was 2 survived out of 15, I never saw the original but I could imagine how sad it was.
Fateless, this Hungary film was strongly recommended by Truemovie and it's host also the Chinese translator. The author displeased Stephen Spielberg's "Schindler's List" over-praised "optimistic", I understand his feeling! If optimistic could solve everything, there's no "Hotel Rwanda", kind of things happened....