88% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) Reviews

garyX
garyX

May 29, 2007
A famous and well respected general and his faithful slave vie for the affections of a beautiful princess while battling the evil ruler of their land. Inevitably trying to ape the epic scale and poetry of the likes of Crouching Tiger or Hero, The Promise is actually just a dim-witted fairy tale populated with badly acted cartoon characters who spout inane fortune cookie platitudes at one another. Visually, the costume design is as attractive as you'd expect but there's also some very dodgy set design and an overuse of awful, cheap looking CGI. There is no narrative flow or even logic to the story and Kaige Chen is clearly just a hack Michael Bay wannabe, making this stir-fried turkey one of the worst examples of the Americanization of Asian cinema I've yet seen. Avoid.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
In a world where people running as fast as the wind drag girls on leashes behind them like kites anything's possible. So no one should make the mistake and compare this to fantastic but somewhat historical movies like Hero. This is pure fantasy, even without made-up creatures. The plot of the cursed girl between three men isn't entirely new but the story remains rather unpredictable in all its craziness. It's not always entirely certain why the characters act the way they do, but each and every frame of this movie looks like a frikkin picture. Its picture should be in dictionaries under eye candy. The stunningly beautiful cinematography, sets, costumes and design combined with a pompous soundtrack make up for a lot of plot holes and create a larger than life experience of epic proportions. When the ugly guy in black is not the villain and the pretty bad guy still has the feather-like hairdo after taking his helmet off you realize you're in the middle of a real life manga. The result is so very entertaining, that all its flaws are easily ignored.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

May 8, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"The Promise" starts out with a young girl, Qingcheng, forced to scavenge food from dead soldiers to feed herself. After having lost a morsel of food, she is approached by the goddess Manshen(Hong Chen) and told that she has a great destiny ahead of her. In exchange, she will lose every man she ever loves. Qingcheng agrees.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Flashforward to General Guangming(Hiroyuki Sanada) whose forces are being outnumbered 20,000 to 3,000 against a horde of barbarians. He uses 133 slaves to smoke out the enemy attack, a stampede of bulls, which they do. One of the slaves, Kunlun(Dong-Kun Jang), stops crawling(slaves can only kneel and crawl which makes it very inconvenient if you need them to get something off the top shelf) and begins running very quickly. He outruns the bulls and leads them back to the barbarians, giving the general's forces a rout.(Kunlun is then drafted by the Detroit Lions in the first round of the NFL draft.) The general is so impressed, he appoints Kunlun as his personal slave.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]And, what about Qingcheng(Cecilia Cheung), you ask? Well, she married the king(Cheng Qian) and is now a princess but the castle is being besieged by the Duke of the North, Wuhuan(Nicholas Tse). So, Qingcheng is on the roof about to invent the striptease as Kunlun rides in masqueraded as General Guangming(long story, trust me)...[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"The Promise" may be great looking but it is still a mess and it gets more convoluted as it goes along. And it feels like there were essential scenes cut out of it which would have added much needed substance. Overall, the central lessonof the movie is not to make any potentially life changing decisions while on an empty stomach.[/font]
William G

December 20, 2006
A gaudy spectacle of excess best viewed as parody.
MagnusMagica
MagnusMagica

December 19, 2007
"Once you have accepted your destiny, nothing can alter it unless time flows backwards, snow falls in the spring and the dead come back to life."
A beautiful, poetic and sometimes cruel fairy tale about love, war, honor and pride and where nothing is what it seems. A great adventure film with a powerful score in the same tradition as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hero.
Anthony V

June 29, 2007
A beautiful fantasy/romance.
FanGirl
FanGirl

December 25, 2006
Like watching a dream and with about as much of a storyline. I was watching the extended scenes that were on the DVD and I wish they had left most of them in because they would have added a lot to the storyline. But I would recommed this movie for the visual beauty of it alone.
firehorse6640
June 25, 2009
Sometimes time flows backwards, snow falls in the spring, and the dead come back to life.

own it
December 12, 2008
A bad mish-mash somewhere between 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Kung Pow: Enter the Fist". There's not really any cohesiveness to the lackluster story other than running through time to change fate. The effects are subpar, and while the acting is decent, it falls far below the standard set by other, more highly-regarded flicks in the genre.
skyeileen
October 19, 2008
Visually stunning. But the content, scripting, and lack of depth this movie had the potential for ruined it for me.
tingtinggiang
August 25, 2008
With stunning and beautiful visuals and colors, the movie is a delight to the eyes...However, the plotline could use some work. With it's overly cliche plotline of the beautiful girl, an underling who is estimated, royalty type thing, the movie began to become very predictable to me. By the time I came to the end, I had to comment "This is absolutely absurd." Good acting, beautiful costumes and scenery...just too overly done at times...
Alethia
July 17, 2008
the movie was visually stunning (get an extra star for that!). but i don't think the story was conveyed very well. i watched it a couple times, and i love the whole thing about destiny and the meaning of a promise, but it's really kind of hard to follow. pretty much EVERY character has a story, and all the stories intertwine.
April 16, 2008
granted I'm really tired of these chinese films with exaggerated martial arts and graphics but at the same time I was wrapped up in story that I was dismissing all the overdone graphics but at the same time some of it was actually nice to look at but the rest was just too much.
kms5079
March 6, 2008
This movie could have been really incredible but it ended out sub-par. A few complaints they really ruined it for me.
ElisaLopez20
June 22, 2007
The Promise is a tale of heartbreak, passion and woe; where enemies become allies, lovers become strangers and secrets mix with lies to become an unholy truth all their own. It is a film where a person's true identity is difficult to know, even to themselves; and where keeping your word, even for an instant, is a kindness few can afford. The cinematography is quite beautiful, as are most asian films, and the overall style of the movie is more of a fairytale rather than a martial-arts flick. There were very few fight scenes and the ones they did were all together too short to really enjoy. But overall, I thouroughly enjoyed the movie for what it was.
January 16, 2008
Basically the most fantasy based kung fu movie you could imagine. But very very beautifully done and all that jazz, which is mostly what I watch kung fu movies for anyway.
RzrbladePetals
November 14, 2007
I really didn't kow much about this movie but I expected it to be a little more then what I had thought the movie was. Though the actors was good in their portrayals.The highlight for me was Nicholas Tse as the villian.
June 30, 2007
the costumes are bizarre. Sanada & Jang put in stellar performances against a relatively weak Tse & Cheung
August 23, 2007
The movie was really pretty, and the acting wasn't all that bad. The only problem was the story...so ridiculous.