63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

40% Intruders: Season 1
90% Outlander: Season 1

The Promise (Master of Crimson Armor) (Wu ji) Reviews

December 24, 2012
Aside from Sanada-san, snore...
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
November 22, 2012
was goood mmovie i loved it
October 7, 2012
An epic story, visually very impressive, not surprising considering it is supposedly one of the most expensive movies ever made in China. There is not much character development though. Qingchen made a promise that meant she would always lose any man that loved her; we did not get to experience any of the torment that would go with such a deal. The love story was shallow: love being based on meeting someone for a few minutes. Not to be taken too seriously, it can be enjoyed as a fairy tale.
doyoufeellucky
March 1, 2012
Why such a low rating? It's more entertaining that Pulp bloody Fiction.Ok, you have to suspend your belief in what's possible - but c'mon this is fantasy. The first half of this film is pretty amazing. Visually it's captivating, and fascinating. It does lose it's charm and the story slows, but no one can say this isn't at least a Good film. The camera work is superb, and the characters are interesting. It went down from a great film because the relentless visuals and story didn't impact as much as in the first half (maybe some people would say the money was used in the first hour) - but at times 'The Promise' has an epic feel....well worth seeing in my opinion.
October 7, 2007
The Promise is an over-wrought and laughably goofy film, an empty and pale imitation of the far better films that have gone on before it.
July 3, 2012
this film has everything and its never dull
June 29, 2012
looks like it mite b kool
sombodyintheworld
June 26, 2012
I watched this movie with great pleasure and interest. The beauty of film is on specific elements of Asia. Landscapes with tree in bloom, dancing spirits and armor are observed. Written and directed film is well made. It was created an atmosphere of mystery and beauty that touches. Like the scene where the main heroes of the game is reflected in the mirror. Interpretation of actors is complex and the action takes place smoothy and quickly. The ending is revealed as a fundamental truth and hope is on the ability of the hero goes back in time. I love this movie and highly recommend it.
June 2, 2012
Visually looks beautiful. The script isn't so good and the casting really failed. The fight scenes were stunning though.
January 15, 2012
Beautifully filmed mythic morality tale spoiled by poor continuity.
January 10, 2012
I've always been ambivalent of Chen Kaige's movies. Farewell My Concubine was so-so, The Emperor and the Assassin was OK but flawed, this one just sucks.
December 5, 2011
nonsense but beautiful
garyX
garyX

May 29, 2007
A famous and well respected general and his faithful slave vie for the affections of a beautiful princess while battling the evil ruler of their land. Inevitably trying to ape the epic scale and poetry of the likes of Crouching Tiger or Hero, The Promise is actually just a dim-witted fairy tale populated with badly acted cartoon characters who spout inane fortune cookie platitudes at one another. Visually, the costume design is as attractive as you'd expect but there's also some very dodgy set design and an overuse of awful, cheap looking CGI. There is no narrative flow or even logic to the story and Kaige Chen is clearly just a hack Michael Bay wannabe, making this stir-fried turkey one of the worst examples of the Americanization of Asian cinema I've yet seen. Avoid.
June 10, 2011
half a star for the first 7 minutes of the movies. Awful
May 13, 2006
this film is underrated! is not as bad as ppl make out to be
May 7, 2011
Weirdly Fun and sometimes funny, it works as fairytale, where nothing is realistic but you cannot stop watching and it gets better as it goes and as you get used to the film's style.
December 30, 2010
Wonderful Movie, Beautiful *O*
July 4, 2010
I went in this movie with high hopes. But after watching it, all I can say is it is overrated, overly hyped about. No doubt the movie has all the best ingrediants... such as great actors and director, beautiful scenes and decors, pretty clothings. However, the dishes turned out blend and tasteless despite it looking beautiful.

The movie started of awful with awfully lots of CGI. TO make things worst, the CGI were fake and the people are practically running in air! I find it hard to watch the whole movie by not laughing. I can't believe how ridiculous they make this movie. For instances how Cecilia was being flown like a kite and falls off diving into this ridiculously small window.

I seriously wonders what Kaige is thinking. I was throughly disappointed with the movie. However, I think if it weren't for Nicholas Tse and Jang Dong Gun, the movie would have scored a 0.