Glory Road Reviews

May 11, 2012
Glory Road is a pretty good sports drama, yet it uses all the usual clichés to tell its story. That's the thing I noticed with every sports films, no matter what story kit is, no matter how they spin it, it always ends up feeling like the same old film. I'm not saying that this is a bad film; however I do think that every sports drama navigates the usual territory that every other film in the genre tends to go through. The story is good, and the cast do a good job in their roles. The film works well enough to be an entertaining drama, but it is also flawed. I liked the film, but to be honest, I never really was a big Basketball all fan, so I simply view this one as a watchable, but quite forgettable sports drama. For what it is, it's an entertaining film, but it's no different than other film in this genre. The cast are good in their roles, and Josh Lucas delivers a performance that saves this film from being a total disappointment. Though a good film, this isn't a film I would rewatch again. I simply felt that it relied too much on the traditional clichés established in previous sports dramas that came before it. Though a worthy film to watch, Glory Road doesn't stand out. I enjoyed it for what it was, but felt it was missing something to really make it stand out. For me anyways, one of the best sports dramas that tried something totally new was Moneyball. Glory Road isn't a revolutionary film, but it's entertaining to say the least.
½ October 2, 2011
Cliche, yes but a good cliche type of movie. Descent to good acting and a great story make for a good sports film here.
February 21, 2008
Beyond the excellence of sports movies and Josh Lucas never ceases to amazes me in movies and the lives of the other basketball stories are inspiring as well :)
½ April 12, 2011
Is it the greatest sports movie ever, no, but was it a good one, yes. A very interesting story and a few plot mistakes from real life from what ive read. The acting and backrounds of the characters were pretty good. I really enjoyed this movie, a true movie for sport movie lovers.
½ August 29, 2010
Didn't think I would like it but I really did enjoy it. Doesn't hurt that it had Emily Deschanel in it too. She's awesome.
½ October 3, 2009
Just because it is a movie based on real facts ,is worth watching !!!!!!
½ August 5, 2007
"Winning changes everything."

In 1966, Texas Western coach Don Haskins led the first all-black starting line-up for a college basketball team to the NCAA national championship.

"Glory Road" tells the true (though as with any such movie, apparently partially fictionalized) story of the Texas Western basketball team's 1966 season as it startled the nation with its march to the national championship. Though it takes place after passage of the Civil Rights Act and during the brotherhood speeches of Martin Luther King Jr., the blatant racism of earlier times lingered more than a little. The film does a good job of providing viewers with a taste of that fact. It is certainly an inspirational story and the cast does as well as can be expected in a movie that necessarily must attempt to explore a number of characters. On the negative side, the game scenes sometimes seemed poorly filmed and some of the dialog - especially the radio and television announcers - was stilted and felt awkward. Still, for those who appreciate a good sports movie, this is worth a look.
½ November 30, 2006
These black players of Texas Western basketball team are so funny and make amazing skills in the games from beginning to end. I love this true story that gives courage and friendship between black and white players in a team since producer Jerry Bruckheimer's Remember the Titans.
½ June 5, 2006
I've been showed by a pretty good movie. I said this movie was good, the movie not great but interesting to watch. It's a very inspirational story of sports movie that ever made... The cast aren't incredible, but they gave us what they got to do... For me, Josh Lucas has give one of his best performance. This movie can tell us too how hard Don must build his squad. An interesting movie to watch, better not miss it...
½ December 2, 2011
Glory Road is not an incredible or memorable sports film, but its still a pretty good movie. A very interesting story and a few plot mistakes from real life from what ive read. The acting and backrounds of the characters were pretty good. I enjoyed this movie, a true movie for sport movie lovers.
½ May 6, 2011
Utterly predicatable, sub par acting, and almost laughable dialogue, 'Glory Road' is basically Remember the Titans with basketball.
½ January 16, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Glory Road" is based on a true story. In 1965, Don Haskins(Josh Lucas), a successful high school girls' basketball coach, is hired by Texas Western University(now Texas El-Paso) to be their men's head coach. He is hired just to install discipline, but Haskins wants to win. Only given a small budget(his ever growing family has to live in the men's dorm), he is severely hampered in his recruiting and cannot recruit any of the most coveted players who are all white. So, going against the racist conventions of the time and place, Haskins starts to recruit black players from some very unlikely places. [/font]

[font=Century Gothic]I remember reading an article about the 1965-1966 Texas Western men's basketball team about ten years ago.(The original article, "Glory Denied" by Bryan Woolley originally appeared in the Dallas Morning News. It was reprinted in the Best American Sports Writing 1992 where I came across it.) I was struck by what such a great story it is. Alas, "Glory Road" does not live up to that promise. There are too many sudden mood shifts to mention and it is hardly subtle but it is also a very enjoyable movie about a historic sporting event. The film effectively shows how segregated the South used to be. And it is anchored by a magnetic performance from Josh Lucas.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]By the way, I love that stuffed alligator! [/font]
February 16, 2006
A Little Overwrought, but otherwise, it has every movie sports-cliche you can think off, and In this film, that is a bad thing.
½ June 20, 2007
Cool movie, very well done.
½ February 11, 2007
Been there, done that. It's like every inspirational sports story ever made, and then combined into one movie. There are no surprises, and it is completely predictable. I was disappointed. Josh Lucas is terrific, with what he is given. With a better script, he would have been spectacular. BUT... they give him every pep talk cliche ever written. Despite everything, it still is a good movie, but don't get your hopes up.
½ February 28, 2006
Pretty good. Hard-hitting and motivational story. Lucas is not the greatest actor, but it was good otherwise.
November 17, 2009
Not being a major sports fan but an avid lover of sports movies, I had never heard of Don Haskins and his underdog team the Texas Western Miners.. Until now.

"Glory Road" is the inspiring true story of Don Haskins, a small town coach who accepts an offer from an El Paso College to coach a team who hasn't won a championship in 15 years, The Texas Western Miners. But Haskins see the only way his new team has a shot at winning the championship is for him to something, for that time, nobody has done before. Start seven black players on his team a first in NCAA history. With that Haskins searches the country over to fins the right boys for his team and he does find and recruit them, train them. And with that Haskins set's off to make history by changing the face of basketball forever and taking his team all the way to," Glory Road"

This film is much like other sports movies and then at some points it is not. The way it is like other films of it's genre is that you know what is going to happen in the end, but you don't know what lead to those events or what started the story. That is the reason sports films still hold strong today and why this one triumphs over it's formula and soars above the rest. "Glory Road" is among the best sports films I've seen in a long time it's story powerful and heart-wrenching and it's out coming uplifting and inspiring. "Glory Road" is a truly magnificent film about one man and his team and how he took them all the way to the top.

Josh Lucas gives one of his best performances of his career as the tough coach Don Haskins, Lucas doesn't hold anything back and gives his all to make his performance believable and his role power house. It is him and the fantastic cast of young actors that keeps this film afloat and keep the story going. The cast does fantastic in there assigned parts and they keep this film going when it should fall apart and they take it in their hands and make it something more, much more.

This is the type of film that demands your surrender to it's broad story and it's passion for the game. It calls for you to watch how a mismatched team does the impossible. How they redefined a game forever and how they changed the outlook of African-Americans in sports. All in all it's an amazing film about a story that was not truly,completely know until now, "Glory Road" shines.
½ May 3, 2009
Remember the titans 3
½ January 11, 2008
Glory Hole is a true story that just flat out lies so they can follow that stupid sports movie formula. Its a bunch of guys in the 60's who have modern personalities and modern B-Ball skills. Its Stupid and it's still better than Coach Carter.