14% Transcendence Apr 18

Date Movie Reviews

thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
Spoof movie encompassing rom coms.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 16, 2011
Date Movie is an awful, unfunny comedy that is crude, vulgar and relies on gross-out moments to try and create its humor. The film fails entirely and the comedic elements are horrible. Directors Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg direct this mess, and try to create something funny. Unfortunately they're terrible as a directing team, and they turn Date Movie into another misfire in the parody genre of films. This film is a total mess from beginning to end, and the directors have absolutely no clue at creating effective comedy. If you enjoy great comedies, skip on everything that Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg direct. These two really don't know how to create an effective comedy, and the results are a terrible film that is highly forgettable. If you enjoy parody films, stick films such as Airplane! and Hot Shots! However skip on this film. The comedy elements are so bad that only a person with mental capacity of a vegetable. This film wasn't my kind of film, and it was very bad, and this was one of the worst comedies that I've had the misfortune to see. Skip this film if you want great comedy, as you won't find in here. What you have here with Date Movie is a sad attempt at parody, and it fails all around. I can't understand why anyone would find this funny. If you want a good comedy, skip this film as this is more irritating than actually funny. An awful film.
Christopher H

August 23, 2011
I didn't know Kill Bill was a date movie.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
Saw it, but don't remember too much from it. A clue that it was pretty bad.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Pretty funny. A few hearty laughs now and again. Clever writing.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 2, 2011
I hated this, I laughed once, but then it got dumber by the second. I really hated this movie.
Lady D

July 18, 2006
Based on all the well known Rom-coms, this does have to be one of the worst spoof films out there. Not that I had great expectations, but it was on tv, so thought it would at least be a slightly comical no-brainer.
erika250

C-
skactopus
skactopus

April 21, 2007
I previously rated this trash "NOT INTERESTED." Well, I'm still not interested after, unfortunately, being forced to watch this slop of a film. There is a quote about this film stating: "Does for Romantic Comedies What Scary Movie did for Horror films." This is one of the most accurate statements I've seen. Scary Movie not only defecated horror films, but comedies as well. The same can be said about this film, except you replace horror with romantic drama. This shoddy material is not romantic, it sure as h*** isn't funny, and it is definitely not a movie to see on a date. So what is it? Crap.When 90% of the many jokes and gags revolve around sex in one way or another you know the writing sucks to s***. Not only do the jokes suck, but they are drawn out for long periods of time. I mean, how long do we need to see a fake cat taking a crap on a toilet. This film needs to take a lesson from the likes of Airplane and Spaceballs. Just keep things short and simple. Speaking of short, this film is only 80 minutes long. But that isn't short enough since it feels like an eternity while you're sitting there.What else do you get with a stupid movie like this? Stupid acting, of course. There is nothing great about it at all. The impersonations are just horrendous. I know, its supposed to be funny, but it is so bad, you can't help but shake your head. I just wonder why a beauty like Alyson Hannigan decided to do this film. Definitely a bad move in her career.Take it from me and stay away from this nonsense. Don't even consider watching it. There are so much more entertaining films out there. Watch one of those instead.
Luke B

February 6, 2010
It isn't a spoof, it's just a repeat of many better films. It's quite disgusting how far these movies have come. It can't even stay within it's own parameters, suddenly "spoofing" Pimp My Ride and other TV shows. It's an embarrassing film to be caught in and luckily Hannigan escaped to greener pastures. Campbell is actually a rather good actor, and he doesn't let on how bad he must know the film is. He puts in a lot of effort to something that is overall shit. The most telling scene of spastic stupidity comes from the Meet the Parents scene. It takes the jokes FROM that film and repeats them in exaggerated ways that suck out all of the humour.
KJ P

January 12, 2010
Not the worst spoof movie, but it's probably near the top actually! But none of them are even salvageable! Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
A fucking awful film that seems only funny to Aaron Seltzer. It sends up lots of 'Date' movies, steals their jokes but makes them unfunny (or should I say more unfunny). Some of the skits aren't even vaguely funny, they just reference other films rather than spoof them! Alyson Hannigan is a silly girl, she could have had a much better career by now. So, if you like comedy spoof films that aren't funny and don't really spoof, then this is the film for you! (You fool)
Passenger1986
Passenger1986

February 3, 2007
Advertised as being made by two of the six writers from Scary Movie. I'm going to assume those two writers were the guys who spent most writing sessions finding biology books and drawing little mustaches on the sperms and holding round objects up and going to the other "Dude, look! I have boobs!" (If you want a truly funny joke about a man holding up something and pretending it's a pair of breasts, I suggest watching the Black Books scene when Manny pretends to be a "robot prostitute from the future.)
I would be very surprised to learn if these two guys were behind some of Scary Movie's more inspired moments (making the first female character seen on screen choose the banana over weapons, for example) and if that IS true, I think my head would asplode at the idea these guys made something both amusing AND an actual parody moment.

Seriously guys, do you KNOW what a parody is? In your universe, does Flying High/Airplane not exist? Naked Gun trilogy, you familiar with that?
Guess not. You two boneheads seem to think to parody something is to simply hit the Random Reference Machine, let it spit something out and just insert a character/scene, usually from a much, much better movie and assume that's the punchline. I mean, what other reason could there be for using Napoleon Dynamite? If that was meant to be funny, you did not get a laugh out of me.

By now I imagine some of you are thinking, "David, why exactly did you watch this film then?" Well, two words for you: Alyson. Hannigan.
She was ace as Willow Rosenberg (though why Willow had to go from straight to lesbian with no hint of bisexuality baffles me. I do not have one single problem with homosexuality, I do have a problem with people afraid of admitting bisexuality. Guys, bisexuals do exist, I happen to know a few. By the way, credit must be given to Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story for having a character not afraid to openly admit being bisexual. But I digress)
and she's nailing her role on How I Met Your Mother. Up until she was cast in HIMYM, I believed she wasn't getting the acclaim or roles I knew she was capable of. I was hoping Alyson would raise this movie from being mediocre to something decent. Well... I was right, in a way. She WAS the best feature in this feature. She tried her damned hardest even though I bet she was thinking "I could crap out better material than this" and she's almost enough to save this movie. Almost. Why she agreed to don a fat suit to play Julia for this escapes me. And when she is in the fat suit, at the beginning, we are treated to her trying to seduce random men on the street to the tune of Kelis' Milkshake. Yes, because that song just wasn't getting enough exposure as it is (P.S, you want a better Kelis song, there is one. It's called Trick Me).
'Cos, y'know, fat suits are funny! Wait...

So eventually, she becomes thin and sees Hitch (wait, wait, don't tell me... based off of Hitch! Wow, that was a brain-buster!) for dating guidance. Also, Hitch is a midget. 'Cos, y'know, midgets are funny! Wait...

She does end up finding the right man, Grant Fockyerdodder (Alan Campbell, who should be sent to some corner in time-out until he learns not to act in crap) on a reality show. Grant chooses Julia and eliminates the other contestants by shooting them.

...

Holy crap! Was that an actual attempt at humor working?! By George, I think it was! Why did it work for me? Maybe because it was unexpected, maybe it was wish fulfillment (can anyone out there honestly tell me they don't hate most reality TV show contestants? I mean, if we don't include traditional game shows, The Amazing Race might be the only show that is exempt from this. Sure, it has SOME participants you wish had been removed from the time/space continuum but not all)

Anyway, we go through the movie and meet more "colourful" characters played by actors you don't care about and the slack parody maker's favourite type of actor, the "I'll-do-anything-for-a-paycheck" actor/actress (Fred, Jennifer, didn't you have careers at one point?) and go through all sorts of "jokes" like a cat using the toilet. 'Cos, y'know, toilets are funny! Wait...

Oh, now for one of my other big criticisms of the movie: the return of one of my most hated actresses ever, Sophie Monk. As well as doing the whole "I've left Australia and abandoned my accent" tradition most Australians do when overseas (one of many reasons I think so highly of Hugh Jackman is that he never forgets his roots. But I'm getting off-topic again), she decided singing wasn't bringing enough attention (to someone like her, it's depressing to think the world does not revolve around her) and decided to become a "serious actress". Why is that in quotation marks? Well, a serious actress would try and go beyond "supposedly hot blond who's only purpose is to be slutty". Sophie just revels in these kinds of roles.
In theory, she is the "designated antagonist". Or, as close to one as a romantic comedy gets. I know we're supposed to hate her because she's the rival for the protagonist's love but she's so cliche, and such a poor actress that I keep hoping the Monty Python foot would squash her and the whole movie. And then maybe the General could come in and go "Right, stop that, it's silly." It's one thing to hate the character because we're supposed to or to hate that we like them but to hate them for going above and beyond the boundaries of sheer annoyance is something to worry about, indeed.
(Also, just before we leave the paragraph, can someone explain why Kill Bill is being parodied when it's not really what one would call a romantic film?
Maybe, y'know, parodies of Tarantino are funny? Well..)

And why the Hell does Carmen Electra get cast in ANYTHING?! Can she actually act? I mean, she appears to be one of those people that's famous for being famous (hello, Joey Buttafuoco). Yeah, she's only at the end but I just don't see the appeal. I see her as a younger Pamela Anderson: guys think she's hot but I just can't see what they see (but then I think Meg White is quite the looker so I'm clearly not going to win any friends with that)

Look, I can enjoy a "mindless" comedy. I love the Police Academy series (but let's not mention Mission To Moscow, it's the Batman And Robin of that particular franchise) because it's goofy and wacky. Formulaic, yes, but good fun. This is not fun, this is an excruciating experience featuring excrement (see, even I can make a funnier toilet joke!)

Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer, the world owes you a great deal of pain. Tarantino owes you for messing with Kill Bill, De Niro should beat you up for what you did to Meet The Fockers, Alyson should kick you both in the balls for trying to stall her career and I hate you both for what you did to Juno in Disaster Movie (no I haven't seen it but trust me, I know. You have no right even SEEING Juno, let alone trying to tear it to shreds.)
Think I'm being melodramatic? I'd say I'm being fair considering how they're trying to rape cinema. Considering all the belt-tightening we're supposed to be doing during these times, throwing money at them is like giving a monkey the keys to an amusement park (don't question me on this stuff! Oh and 50 points for whoever gets the reference).
I suggest we make a movie where we just keep throwing eggs and water balloons at them and continuously insulting them.
'Cos, y'know, picking on idiots is funny! Well... yes it is, actually!
Coxxie M

June 10, 2009
i think this is one of the most unfunny "comedys" ive ever seen. yes it is a real crapbox
Nicki M

January 16, 2008
Awful, but I gave it an extra star for Alyson Hannigan. I have to admit I did laugh a few times.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A very silly spoof film, poking fun at other comedies?! Not sure it really works, has it's funny moments and gross ones to. Mainly making fun of the meet the parents/ fockers, Hitch, and a whole bunch of rom-coms. If you like spoofs you might like it.
Edward B

October 20, 2006
I'm willing to bet that the filmmakers knew this movie was bad. There goal was to make money, and unfortunately, I contributed. Corporate bastards.
TheGame90
TheGame90

February 18, 2008
Just some fun jokes....and that's about it