Casanova - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casanova Reviews

LWOODS04
½ April 30, 2009
Heath Ledger, Omid Djalili, Senna Miller, Charlie Cox, Lena Olin, Jeremy Irons, Natalie Dormer, Oliver Platt, Lauren Cohan

DIRECTED BY: Lasse Hallstrom

Heath Ledger plays the fabled romantic as a man who, after failing to win the affection of a particular Venetian woman, strives to discover the real meaning of love.

It was a good little movie I caught on T.V, today. Entertaining with a great cast. Had great costumes and a great scenery of Venice. What I thought would be a bit more of a serious movie ended up being a very humorous one. Enjoyed it.
RCCLBC
½ September 9, 2008
I took this journey mainly because of Heath Ledger. The fact that Jeremy Irons, Lena Olin & Oliver Platt were envolved also helped.

But what I assumed would be a sort of lush period piece with a dash of period specific humor (a la' 'A Room With A View") ended up feeling more like a "slap-sticky" comedy of errors.

Beautiful costumes, sets and location shots. Had I not been expecting a more realistic "period piece" type film, the cheesy over the top acting probably wouldn't have bothered me as much.

In any case while the story is predictable, this was ammusing and a (mostly) enjoyable romp. It did make me a bit melancholy for the great things that I believe would have come from Mr. Ledger had he stayed with us longer.
TheGame90
April 12, 2009
It was a good movie. But not my kind of movie
garyX
April 28, 2007
Heath Ledger stars as the amorous adventurer who finally meets his match in the form of fiery academic Sienna Miller. Ledger is obviously having fun as the lovable rogue and it has all the ingredients for a fun period romp; bedroom shenanigans, humour and a dose of swashbuckling all in lavishly reproduced costume finery. The farcical elements did get a little too broad from time to time, and combined with the script that relies a little too much on contrivances and coincidence it almost felt like an upmarket Carry On film in places. As such I found it a little hard to believe that Jeremy Irons got involved in something so comparatively inconsequential as it can't compare to the depth and drama of something like Dangerous Liaisons, but it's always at least mildly amusing, and despite it's slight lack of substance it's a pleasant piece of undemanding confectionery.
thmtsang
½ August 4, 2007
I love period costume dramas. Movie about Casanova who falls in love again and again in Venice, the city of love. Good cast.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 2, 2007
Francesca Bruni: "Give me a man who is man enough to give himself just to the woman who is worth him. If that woman were me I would love him alone and forever."

History's most renowned ladies' man finally meets his match in this historical romance laced with comedy and adventure. In Venice in 1753, Giacomo Casanova (Heath Ledger) is a notorious playboy whose way with women goes too far when he's caught leaving the bedroom of a novice nun, and one of the leading prosecutors of the Inquisition, Pucci (Jeremy Irons), puts him on trial. The Doge (Tim McInnerny), Venice's political point man, is a friend of Casanova's and pulls strings to get him off the hook and allow him to stay in the city, but under one condition -- he must take a wife and remain faithful to her. Casanova sets his sights on Victoria (Natalie Dormer), a lovely young maiden who is obviously taken with the handsome ladykiller, but he's not the only one who wants her hand. Giovanni Bruni (Charlie Cox) is a young man who is very much in love with Victoria, and in order to move him out of the picture, Casanova challenges him to a duel. However, when Casanova is bested in swords in the challenge, he discovers he's actually been parrying with Giovanni's sister, Francesca (Sienna Miller). As Casanova gets to know Francesca, he discovers she's a gifted writer and a bright and independent woman as well as a good hand with a sword, and he comes to the realization that she's the woman he wants to take to the altar. However, Francesca has already been promised to the vain and chubby Papprizzio (Oliver Platt), a man she's never met, and she doesn't seem at all interested in the notorious Casanova.

First off, if you're looking for an accurate piece of the legendary womanizer, you have to turn back...now. This film is as inaccurate as it can be and proud of it. A farce is what they call it and its all good, clean fun. The late, great Heath Ledger stars as titular character Giacomo Casanova, Jeremy Irons as the General Inquisitor, Oliver Platt as chubby Paprizzio and Sienna Miller as ladylove Francesca Bruni.

A great choice of cast seeing as how they nailed each respective roles. Seems to me, they had fun while making the movie and just enjoyed each and every moment. A pretty good historical farce which is more like a parody to the legend.

3.5/5
Gx7
½ October 31, 2007
Funny, nice cast & acting. Happy! Odd portrayal of "Casanova" at the ending. Still, its worth your time and money. Heath Ledger is mmmmmmm! heheheh!!
August 5, 2007
It was good and it had its funny moments.
jjnxn
April 11, 2007
heath is charming and the scenery is beautiful.
March 22, 2006
You wouldn't think it would be as good as it is. You should see it.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ April 6, 2011
There's little to complain about, but just as little to brag about. It's underdeveloped, a bit confusing and rather silly at points. On the other hand, there's good production value, fair performances and strong entertainment value. Really, all that needs to be said is that "Casanova" is a prime example of an average, but quite entertaining film.
June 6, 2008
It was disappointing but not terrible.
April 18, 2008
It is not my choice of genre, but it makes a pleasant past time entertainment.
April 10, 2008
Fantastic feel good movie...full review coming soon (when I actually watch it again).
½ August 22, 2012
The film is as charming and irresistible as Casanova himself.
½ September 13, 2009
This was nicely done and I loved the 18th century costumes!!
mingsysar
February 17, 2006
Surprisingly, Heath Ledger is no love God. That is down to the sweetheart that is Charlie Cox and the effervescent Lena Olin. Still, it is a diverting enough film and the setting, period and costumes are stunning.
constanzaboutter
½ March 29, 2009
The scenario, Venice in 1753, Giacomo Casanova (Heath Ledger) is a notorious playboy, he's trapped leaving the bedroom of a novice nun, and one of the leading prosecutors of the Inquisition, However, the Novice, Francesca (Sienna Miller) and Victoria (Natalie Dormer), are only part if the unending list of women in his adventures.
raiinxfall
½ July 4, 2008
The ever-versatile Heath Ledger seamlessly slips into the shoes of the infamous womanizer Casanova.
Cute and romantic.
September 1, 2007
Heath Ledger is amazingly charming.