Casanova Reviews

½ August 10, 2015
A bland film about such a colorful character.
½ May 13, 2010
Casanova is a guilty pleasure and a fun movie. With interesting and captivating content material, spear-headed by a very believable Ledger as Casanova, the period-piece maintains consistent enjoyment. With a dialogue filled with comedic value, and a story well crafted to the likes of all impersonations, it is a get go from start to finish. There are many obvious back-drop fakes, and cinematic errors, but given the story and the execution, it becomes easy to ignore the flaws for the greater good. Casanova seems to be easily achieved screen-magic.
June 3, 2007
Har den men har ikke fått sett den enda.
½ February 20, 2015
Even though this is not my type of film I enjoyed in this quite a artistic way with all the fruity costumes, settings and disguises that take place
April 28, 2010
Absolutely terrific movie! Aboslutely halarious too. Got a kick out of it!
½ May 9, 2009
such a good movie. i wasn't too sure about it, and thought it would probably be terrible, but i watched it just cause Heath was in it (: it was so awesome, and had a great cast. there were quite a few laugh out loud moments too :D
December 8, 2014
While I'm not as much of a history buff as I probably should be to say whether or not this movie does service to the real Casanova, I will say that as a movie, it's a really cute chick flick. I'm a sucker for period films, and this movie is gorgeous to look at. Lasse Hallstrom put a lot of passion and heart into this film. He filmed the movie entirely in Venice and put a lot of effort into the sets and costumes. The story has a few flaws here and there (again, not taking historical accuracy into account at all, just looking at it as a stand alone movie), but overall, it has a happy ending and if you just want to watch a romantic historical fiction, and see Heath Ledger being his sexy, suave self, this one is a good pick!
January 27, 2010
As if I have participated a carnival in Venice...a glamourous funny merry naughty film with a bit of clichà (C) (but it's fine!).

Love Jeremy Irons and Heath Ledger.....I still can't believe an actor like Ledger has left.
September 7, 2014
Achei delicinha. Sdds Heath!
August 12, 2014
Goddamn it Heath Ledger why are you so perfect???
½ August 5, 2014
Beautiful to look at, boring to watch.
June 19, 2007
Cliched and anachronistic (naturally). The movie is not actively bad - in fact it is pleasant and passes the time, although Ledger makes an unconvincing Casanova - but the sumptuous production design cannot make up for a script made entirely of cliches.
½ June 6, 2014
It's a shame Ledger died so young. I'm sure he would've produce great movies as he got older.
July 6, 2007
it was a great movie, very funny but romantic and interesting at the same time.
½ April 29, 2014
Directed by Lasse Hallström, (What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), The Cider House Rules (1999), Chocolat (2000) and Salmon Fishing In The Yemen (2011)), this romantic comedy was based on the adventures and exploits of Giacomo Casanova (1725 - 1798), whose complicated and elaborate affairs earned him a legendary reputation as a serial womaniser. The film is patchy, but it has some funny moments. In 18th Century Venice, Giacomo Casanova (Heath Ledger) has been romancing a number of women across Venice, from aristocrats to nuns, and he's been arrested by Dalfonso (Ken Stott), but The Doge of Venice (Tim McInnerny) always manages to get him off the hook. But, Casanova finds himself falling in love with Francesca (Sienna Miller), who writes feminist books, but Francesca's mother Andrea Bruni (Lena Olin) wants her to marry the rich Paprizzio (Oliver Platt). Plus, Casanova's days womanising all over Rome are numbered when Pucci (Jeremy Irons) from the Venetian Inquisition, who wants to arrest Casanova for sexual debauchery. It's a very silly film, but it has a good who's who of actors in it, and Ledger gives a very game performance, and it shows he was a very gifted actor who died too young. Not all of it works, but it has some lovely visuals and it has the tone and structure of an old Ealing comedy too, although this has more sexual references and swearing.
April 18, 2014
And there is Heath Ledger :)
February 27, 2014
I've never known the real story of Casanova so I won't judge. This movie is a total fresh comedy! Love the set and the pictures, it's been awhile since the last time I watched British classic romance :)
½ April 23, 2009
Not the best adaptation of the story.
December 6, 2013
It gets dragged down in some places, but it's still an amusing, lighthearted story that features entertaining performances.
September 10, 2008
This is a very interesting movie. Who knows if any of it is actually true, but it made for a great story.