Free Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Zone Reviews

October 3, 2014
How long will this circle of horror last?

Rebecca has a deep appreciation for the Islamic ways despite breaking off a recent engagement with her fiancé. After getting into an argument with her mother in-law, she jumps in a taxi in Jordan with a unique taxi driver. She is female and has her own problems. Neither have anything special to do that day but tell each other their fascinating stories of the events in their life that led to their chance encounter.

"The man could only take fifty, fifty from hundreds. I was the fifty-first."

Amos Gitai, director of Tsili, Words from Gods, One Day You'll Understand, Eden, Promised Land, and Disengagement, delivers Free Zone. The storyline for this picture is interesting mainly due to the settings and Islamic feel and the acting is very solid. The cast delivers their performances well and includes Natalie Portman, Hana Laszlo, Hiam Abbass, Carmen Maura, Makram Khoury, and Aki Avni.

"What did she do?"
"She let me have her in her husband's bed."

Free Zone is a movie I grabbed off Netflix because it starred one of my all time favorite actresses, Natalie Portman. I will say this movie was interesting from a scenery and sub plot purposes. The overall movie was just okay so I wouldn't go to out of my way to see this, but it is worth watching once.

"What do you want to grow?"

Grade: C+
March 29, 2014
makes you wonder about things
½ June 3, 2013
Diz pouco em muito tempo.
½ May 30, 2013
Rebecca (Natalie Portman) é uma americana que vive em Jerusalém há alguns meses. Ao entrar no táxi da israelense Hanna (Hana Laszlo), Rebecca aceita acompanhá-la quando esta revela que está a caminho da "zona franca" na Jordânia, local onde pessoas do Iraque, Egito, Síria e Israel circulam livremente, para fazer negócios. Lá a palestina Leila (Hiam Abbass) explica para Hanna sobre o desaparecimento do homem que devia dinheiro a ela e a seu marido. A partir deste momento as três mulheres, de nacionalidades e histórias de vida distintas, deverão manter-se unidas nesta noite em que tudo pode acontecer.
May 15, 2013
it could be okay?!?!
January 12, 2013
no plot, terrible film
December 17, 2012
looks kind of gay but i never noe till i c it (that was so chesye)
½ September 30, 2012
well the first 10 minutes were completely insane, the rest of the movie was extremely slow, dull and boring... perhaps it would of been better if it was a palestinian suicide bomber they met at the free zone.. . it would of perhaps made the movie a little shorter. This is one of the worst foreign movies i've seen. Even a great actress like natalie portman couldn't save it from its doom.
April 25, 2012
really dont want to see this movie
April 19, 2012
I'd only watch it for Portman in it,lol.
May 21, 2011
Awful, pointless movie.
½ May 12, 2011
Mostly a pretty boring film with great acting. I'm split on this one.
April 19, 2011
Free Zone's narrative is almost non-existent, though it does have some interesting existential qualities and employs some interesting visual film techniques.

Free Zone is essentially a character driven movie and mostly excels at highlighting the extremely palpable tensions between the Israelis and the Palestinians through the view of three women. The movie acts best when viewed as a metaphor, however the story never fully develops the characters and/or their conflicts. The story also never fully resolves (which in itself could be viewed as a statement).

I recommend Free Zone mostly for the acting of Hanna Laslo, who shines brightly in her portrayal of Hanna Ben Moshe, a business woman from Israel who goes to Jordan's free zone to pick up money she is owed from a Palestinian? woman and tension quickly escalates between the women who do not trust one another. It marks a sad day when there is so much tension that there is a total break down of communication.

IF you are looking for a film that is neat with everything tightly woven and threads neatly resolved, this IS not the movie for you. If you can view it as a metaphor for the tensions of the area and are looking for a glimpse of what a day in the life might be like, you will likely gain something from this film.
January 12, 2011
Whoever thought that Natalie could cry for seven minutes at the beginning and you wouldn't just turn off your tv?
½ September 11, 2010
A decent mockumentary that gives a humbling and heartbreaking look at isreal. It's very low budget, but it does the best it can with it's budget. Unfortunately without a direction the plot fails to keep the viewers attention all the way through. It's unfortunate because the film has so much heart and purpose.
July 5, 2010
Huge fan of Natalie Portman so I really wanted to like this movie. Slow moving story without tension or build-up; it just sort of is... kind of a day in the life of three women with little in common. What do we learn? That no matter your nationality, you can gripe and complain about your lot in life with the rest of the world. I didn't find these to be strong, endearing characters. I found them to be automatons doing only what is expected of them. The use of two languages, Hebrew and English, sometimes even in the same sentence, was jarring in many instances and hampered the flow of the movie; that said, there wasn't much flow to the movie to begin with.
June 16, 2010
U havent seen Free Zone?
June 13, 2010
Ill start of by saying that Natalie Portman is by far my favorite actress, adn every other film she made I at least got some enjoyment out of. But not this one. This movie has so much "artistic, stylized" directing and symbolism in it that to tell you the truth I couldnt even really tell you what the hell this movie is really about. I mean for gods sake the movie starts out with an 8 minute clip of Natalie Portman's face crying. I was so ready for this movie to be over from that point on. A major bore
May 29, 2010
Will watch anything for Natalie Portman.
May 26, 2010
This movie, set in Israel and Jordan, brings three women together in their very different attempts to change their lives. Set almost exclusively in the cab, this movies does some interesting things filming wise. The tension at the border and in some other scenes is very well captured, and the three women are great to watch.