James Franco Ponders a "Spider-Man 4"

While out on the road promoting his newest flick, "Flyboys," James Franco heard what's probably a fairly common query: What's up with "Spider-Man 4"? And, as usual, the actor kinda waffled both ways while saying nothing at all.

From The Boston Herald: "Franco has finished filming "Spider-Man 3" (scheduled for May), but is coy about appearing in a fourth in the popular franchise. "I don?t know," he said, then laughed. "Tobey (Maguire), Kirsten (Dunst) and I all signed on for three movies, so this is the third one. I don?t know how everyone feels about another one."

How would he feel if director Sam Raimi wasn?t involved in a sequel? "Sam is the best. You look at a lot of comic book films, and there are some that are good. I like the "X-Men" franchise. But a lot of them don?t work - and Sam?s work. I don?t know. It would have to depend on who it was, but I don?t know if I?d trust just anybody."

Click here
for the full article.

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

There are plenty of good directors out there that could make a good Spider-man film. Chris Nolan would be great.

Sep 21 - 08:10 AM

Ultimale069

David Baril

Maybe Chris Nolan could actually make a GOOD Spiderman film.

I'll be a hater of the Sam Raimi Spiderman movie til I die.

Sep 21 - 08:44 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

you stated exactly what you are: a hater! you hate something that is beloved and successful just because, it is beloved and successful. chris nolan is a phenmoneal director and did a great job with batman, but i can't see him replacing sam raimi on spider-man. the styles are too different.

Sep 21 - 08:54 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

that a horrible idea! it just shows you have no clue what you are talking about! What in the world would sugget CN can do it? Just because he made 1 mediorcore batman?

the guy doesnt have the style and sensiblity for Spiderman, which is a lighter, wittier kinda comic/character. Rami is perfect! What are you going to suggest next? Quentin Tarantino direct toy story 4?

Sep 21 - 09:07 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Haha, any time there is a Spiderman post here, Ultimale is going to show up and post something hateful about it. Cracks me up. Well, whatever. On one hand, I hope Raimi does it forever. On the other hand, it'd be interesting to see someone else's take on it. Like Peter Jackson. Though, it'd probably be six hours long.

Sep 21 - 09:27 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Raimi's mark is on Spiderman, and he's done a hell of a job so far. Certainly, there are other directors that could do a great Spiderman film but after three movies, the franchise could wind up suffering from attempting to fix something that isn't broken. As for the Nolan detractors, Batman Begins was by far the best Batman movie to date. The general consensus agrees. And after the disaster that clown Joel Shumacher made of the previous films, it registers as one hell of a tall feat that Nolan managed to bring seriousness and pathos to a mythology that had been so poorly rendered in the past. To call it mediocre is aesthetically offensive.

Sep 21 - 09:50 AM

Sep 21 - 09:50 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 21 - 09:50 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

As far as Ulimale goes, he posts on everything as a hater. Pay him no attention. It is not our fault that he thinks he is ool because he "hates" what is good. And don't forget Ultimale, BUTTER IN THE MIDDLE AND ON TOP.

On to Spider-Man, I would like to see Sam continue on, but if he choses not to, so be it. He has made the the franchise the highest grossing comic book franchise. Maybe he and Bruce Campbell can go fund another Army of Darkness or Evil Dead now. I think that somebody fresh would not hurt the franchise. Just watch the budget.

Oh, and Ultimale, less ice in the coke.

Sep 21 - 10:26 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

ok here is a perfect example why Rami is perfect! In the comics Spidermans greatest battles, leaves him battered and bruised and pretty much destroyed! Its a physical manisfestation of his tortured soul, other comics you can see the character's struggle and torment inside, but literally you can see spiderman's suffering and pain on the outside. Ok this may get me in trouble but its almost christ like, he has great power but he will suffer and pay with his flesh for the good of mankind.

And who has a perfect record, a knack for torturing his characters??? Rami! Just watch Bruce get beat up in AOD and also Darkman, this is why Rami is the man and only he can do the spiderman series.

Sep 21 - 10:47 AM

Gareth

Gareth von Kallenbach

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit hard for him, he supposedly dies early in the film.

Sep 21 - 12:58 PM

Ultimale069

David Baril

Okay people, time to remove your rosey colored goggles and look at these Spiderman films for the schlock piece of filmmaking they are. AND before you go off attacking me, how about first coming up with a compelling argument that might make me reconsider my thesis. Your attacks on my character are first of all, pathetic, and secondly not all that intelligent.

As for Spiderman being Christlike, maybe that is what Raimi was going for, but thats retarded. How many freaking movie have to go for a Christ allegory for it to be considered heroic? And his costume is made of cloth so of course its going to rip. I guess Wolverine can be considered Christlike because he was tortured and and in the second one he was stabbed by Deathstrike, and thats kind of like the spear of destiny... retarded.

As for Batman Begins, it was a mature, intelligently written movie. I can see it for the flaws it had, just as I can see Spiderman for having all of the flaws it did. I respect Nolan because he at least takes to write a movie and make it sound decent. I cringed at so many lines in the Spiderman that I thought i had epilepsy. I admit that I very much disliked these films and I do feel the need to voice my displeasure with how these films were executed because I used to be an avid Spiderman comic book fan and I know more about the character than everyone in here. Maybe Spiderman was adapted well... from the 1960's comic, but guess what, we live in the 2000's, and the character needed an update. I bet everyone in here is a hater of the Schmaucer Batmans, mostly because they feel those movies were a betrayal to the character, but guess what, the 1960's Batman was indeed campy. So pretty much the haters of those movies hate it because of the movie itself. I love Spiderman the character, hate the movies. I wanted to love that movie, I really did, but I saw that it was shit, and I have to point it out, no matter how unpopular the opinion might be.

Oh, and most of that budget those films had went to paying off critics to give it a good review. there is no WAY it got the reviews it did soley on merit. And thats the truth. Thats how most bad movies get reviews, look it up.

Sep 21 - 01:34 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

I don't think it's shit, per se -- that's probablly going a bit far. I think it was vastly overrated. It was an entertaining enough movie, but the laudatory ass-kissing it got from critics was ridiculous.

Sep 21 - 02:06 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

[b]Thank you, thank you, thank you[/b]
Ultimale is absolutely correct.

Everytime I bash Spiderman people act like I'm advocating nazism. But I'm sorry, these movies are terrible, just absolute garbage. Logic problem after logic problem, awful dialogue, poorly adapted villians/storylines, and, in the case of 2nd film, bloated, thematically redundant and boring filmmaking.

I love the comics as well, i grew up with them. I don't know what these movies are supposed to be. And beyond that they're just bad films, To even suggest the Batman Begins (which is both a true adaptation and a fantastic film) is a lesser film than any of the Spider-Man movies is ridiculous.

Sep 21 - 02:50 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Indeed, Batman Begins is far superior thematically to the Spiderman films, and, by even further, Superman Returns. I say it all the time but am bashed by my homeboys for the obvious reasons; Spiderman and Superman have "cool powers" and yada yada yada. Of all the super hero franchises, the one I have most faith in and am most happy with is Batman. Because, finally, they get it right and pull out of cheese mode. Nolan's vision is so good that you wonder how anyone could have dared to do it differently.

Sep 21 - 07:09 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Sep 21 - 02:06 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

[b]Thank you, thank you, thank you[/b]
Ultimale is absolutely correct.

Sep 21 - 02:50 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 21 - 07:09 PM

Captain Future1

yo moma

[b]Iam Remote does got a point[/b]
The second movie was redundant and pretty boring. That's why its total boxoffice was lower than that of the first one, not because it was a sequel but because it was not as good as the first.

Sep 21 - 03:04 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 21 - 07:09 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

[b]Absolutely Ridiculous[/b]
Spider Man was a comic movie. Of course there are moments when the movie will have campy dialogue, and campy action scenes. That's the essence of why comic book movies are made. Batman Begins took the approach of making a serious film about a comic. The two movies are two different animals. And to bash Spider-Man 2 because it did less business than Spider-Man 1 is absolutely ridiculous. Think of the factors before you base your argument on the numbers. It only did 30 million less. It was a sequel. It was released the July 4th weekend instead of the first of May (less summer for business which is why the date is back to the first of May for 3). And it was released on a Wednesday. Oh, and DVD sales reached their appreciating peak that year. I'm not sure what was boring about the second...the subway car scene was one of the best action sequences in recent years. And I'm sure all the haters here will be the first in line to see number 3 when it comes out in May.

Sep 22 - 06:58 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I think it's funny that people who don't like the Spiderman films are finding 'sweet relief' on this page, all because Ultimale had the 'courage' to speak up. lol. Seriously, that is adding drama where it doesn't exist. People who like the Spiderman films (I for one), aren't going to kill anyone because you don't like them. Have your own opinion, that's totally fine. And legit. But to think that you're the 'only one who can see the truth' and the rest of us have bad taste in movies or don't know what a good movie is because we like the Spiderman movies more than Batman Begins, is utterly hilarious. You're trying to put yourself in some sort of Matrix-like movie. "I'm the only one who can see the truth, why can't everyone see that Spiderman sucks?" Riiiiight. Ultimale says he can see all the flaws that Begins has, but still likes it. Well, why can't I see the flaws Spiderman has, and like it more than Begins? Seriously, we could fight about this all day. Here is the main problem with that: NO ONE IS GOING TO BE RIGHT OR WRONG ABOUT EITHER POINT OF VIEW. This is ridiculous. I don't care that there are about four people who don't like the Spiderman Films. Judging Spiderman 2's merit on box office is silly as well. Saying it is worse than Spiderman because it made $30 million less is quite odd. So, you're saying Spiderman 2 is $30 million worth of worse movie? Does that mean it is $412 million worth of BETTER movie than Batman Begins? Because that's the office receipts difference there too. That is never a good argument.
And saying there are logic problems in Spiderman is like saying the mountains are heavy. The last time I looked at it, the guy got bit by a spider and got super powers. Spiderman is ONE BIG LOGIC PROBLEM. And what are you saying, Batman isn't? You're right. I suppose there aren't any logic problems with a man, dressed as a bat, driving around town, never being caught by the cops, being supernaturally powerful, blah blah blah. These movies are both good, so get off your high horse and stop compairing them.

Sep 22 - 08:09 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

I applaud your post. Exactly the sentiments I had.

Sep 22 - 09:08 AM

lucidslumber

Eric Wiles

[b]Well Said, Merlin.[/b]
The last i checked these (Batman,spidy) were movies. Pieces of celluloid,flickering images.You Anti-Spidy guys crack me up.Are you actually offended by people that liked those movies?How sad.I happen to love both incarnations,for differing reasons,the main ones bieng the filmakers themselves.But,my opine has no basis in fact,its just how I feel.Get off your high horses and come down here where the people enjoy movies. Not turn them into hipster beating posts.

Oh yeah,im not rich,so I have a hard time sympathyzing with the bat(though i do understand the parental dynamic of the story line).At least spidy works for a living,rather than being born with a silver spoon.Superpowers aside,at least i have somthing in common with him.

Sep 22 - 11:30 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I see where you're coming from, and I've heard the argument before, but I don't think Batman being rich makes him inaccessable. If anything, the fact of him being rich should say that much more about the size of his character. Because think about it, how many rich guys you think would put himself in the line of danger like that for the common man? Batman stands for universal ideals which, in effect, make him very accessible.

Sep 24 - 05:03 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

I applaud your post. Exactly the sentiments I had.

Sep 22 - 09:08 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

I think the really question is this: who is more annoying: Katie Holmes or Kirsten Dunst? :)

Sep 22 - 09:35 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

[b]who is more annoying? Dunst vs. Holmes[/b]
Katie Holmes by a longshot.

Sep 24 - 05:58 PM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

If Tarantino ever DID do a comic book movie, i would hope he would make "Lobo". I think thats right up his alley. Or Robert Rodriguez. Besides, we need another excessively violent comic book movie. Sin City was fun as hell in the theatre with friends. So many scenes in that movie where u and ur buddies were shouting "OOOOHH shhhhhhITTTT!!!"

Sep 22 - 10:08 AM

lucidslumber

Eric Wiles

[b]Well Said, Merlin.[/b]

Sep 22 - 11:30 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 24 - 05:03 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel