Bobby

Bobby Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 24, 2013
Bobby is an n underrated drama that deserves much more praise. Surrounding the events of Robert Kennedy's assassination, the film follows several characters that will be affected throughout the ordeal. The story is engaging, and it is an important part of history as well, and the cast do a good job in their performances and bring something unique to the film. The film isn't perfect, but it's definitely not as awful as what many critics have said. This is a surprising film that boasts a compelling true story, and even if some of the characters aren't really fleshed out, Bobby does succeed in being a watchable drama that can exceed your expectations. I must admit, with a few casting decisions, I was skeptical, but I was very much surprised and overall, I really enjoyed the film. Director Emilio Estevez crafts a film that is entertaining, dramatic and ultimately enjoyable from start to finish. Bobby is a well directed drama that is far better than what you'd expect. Estevez crafts a very good film and I very much enjoyed it. The story itself is what keeps you involved and despite its shortcomings, Bobby is an accomplished movie that evokes some perfect elements of the genre. Based on the tragic ordeal at the Ambassador Hotel, this is a film that will certainly entertain those intrigued in the subject, but you should know as well that the filmmakers did take some creative liberties to make it more appealing to audiences. However the core of the story is good and it is a movie that shouldn't easily be dismissed. Bobby has its flaws, but is a well acted and directed drama that simply is captivating from the first frame on wards.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 24, 2007
Excellent cast. Interesting compilation of characters' lives and witnesses on the day that Bobby was assassinated.
Apeneck F

February 26, 2012
Emilio Estevez wrote and directed this interesting take on the day in the life of the famous Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles ... only the day in question is really important: the day Bobby Kennedy was shot there. And so we see dramatized the mindset of a cross section of the country, hopes, dreams, foibles. The film asks for hope to prevail, especially in the face of loss. Good.
Jens S

March 23, 2008
A cast to dream of gets together to relive the events of the last day in Robert Kennedy's life in the Ambassador hotel in Chicago in June 1968. No less than 22 characters, played mostly be really big names, go through their own little dramas as the day progresses and approaches the presidential candidates's speech. While the film starts out with some original footage and later on shows Kennedy's speeches and public appearances on TV screens merged into the scenes, the focus is clearly on those everyday people and their different stories. Given their high amount, it is no surprise that that leaves only little screen time for each of them. The film still does a good job portraying each one of them and characterizing them within a handful of scenes. That does not mean that a couple of them feel a tad mundane or superficial and maybe even unnecessary. Kutcher and LaBouef's LSD adventures add very little to the film. The scene switches too often to ever get boring, though. Shortly before things get a little tiresome everyone unites to listen to Kennedy's speech and the rest is history. The last 15 minutes are brilliant, as the assassination also affects most of the characters we've met, while a classic Kennedy speech is playing from the off. That's when the film finally reaches a really emotional and moving level, sending off the audience with a real downer, that is yet so true and relevant.
familiar s

January 6, 2009
While ignorance turned out to be a bliss for me in Hollywoodland's case, here it played a negative role. Though the movie is not out and out boring/disappointing, it surely wasn't what I'd expected. I guess I'm the one to be blamed here. I expected some thriller of JFK sort here. Unfortunately, it wasn't so. I was looking forward to the events that led to the assassination, not a sneak-peak into the lives of certain people, most of which invented, who happened to be in the hotel where RFK was assassinated.

Didn't serve too well for me, probably because it didn't belong to one of my favorite genres, AND also because most of the created events were "being there, seen it all" types (have seen those type of events in other movies & this movie neither offered anything new nor was its execution unique).
Conner R

January 11, 2010
I loved this, a perfect ensemble. It's one of the most interesting ways to approach Bobby Kennedy's death. Instead of making it about him, it is about the people who he effected. It also takes a very critical look at the time period and the social changes of the time. Emilio Estevez did an amazing job at getting down a distinct style down, a great debut.
Edward B

July 11, 2007
The last twenty minutes are especially moving.
Alice S

February 23, 2009
A good day-in-the-lives movie, with interesting subplots and reveals. I wish there could be more historical grounding between the real people who were injured in that kitchen and the ones in the movie. Now they're just random fictionalized characters.
Cassandra M

December 21, 2008
#12 Bobby
Okay, there?s no actor which, we think, adds to this spectacular film. We also have to admit that, of course, Bobby Kennedy's life was cut short before he had a chance to reach The Oval Office. But what the hey! A great cast of actors surround actual clips of Bobby?s speeches and appearances a short time before his death here.
President Speak: "I have saved this one opportunity, my only event of today, to speak briefly to you about the mindless menace of violence in America which again stains our land and every one of our lives."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 5, 2008
"He saw wrong and tried to right it. He saw suffering and tried to heal it. He saw war and tried to stop it."

It's early June in 1968, and the California presidential primary elections are occupying the minds of many in the Golden State, with Robert F. Kennedy in a close race against Eugene McCarthy and Hubert Humphrey. The Kennedy campaign staff has set up camp at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, while the staff and guests become observers as the brother of fallen president John F. Kennedy sets out to pick up where his sibling left off. Paul (William H. Macy) is the manager of the Ambassador, and his wife Miriam (Sharon Stone) is a hairdresser who runs's the hotel's beauty salon. Angela (Heather Graham) is a receptionist working the hotel's switchboard who has been sleeping with Paul behind Miriam's back. Timmons (Christian Slater) is in charge of the hotel's restaurant and catering department, and makes no secret of his dislike of the African-Americans and Latinos under his employ. Miguel (Jacob Vargas) and Jose (Freddy Rodriguez) are two young Chicanos on the kitchen staff who have it in for Timmons, while Robinson (Laurence Fishburne) is an older black man who counsels them on dealing with their rage. Virginia Fallon (Demi Moore) sings in the hotel's cocktail lounge and has a serious problem with alcohol; her husband Tim (Emilio Estevez) is a Kennedy supporter and also her manager, and he's nearing the end of his rope in dealing with her problem. William (Elijah Wood) is a young man desperate to avoid being drafted and sent to Vietnam; Diane (Lindsay Lohan) is a pretty young woman dating William's brother who agrees to marry him so William can avoid being drafted, though William is clearly infatuated with her while she considers this a marriage in name only. John Casey (Anthony Hopkins) is one of the owners of the Ambassador, and Nelson (Harry Belafonte) is an old friend who works at the hotel. And Jack (Martin Sheen) is a wealthy Kennedy campaign financier who is married to Samantha (Helen Hunt), an attractive but much younger woman.

Review
The idea of engaging viewers with the a variety of characters whilst maintaining the fundamental principles of Bobby Kennedy was ingenious. I found the film very refreshing as it kindly skipped the one million conspiracy theories of 'Who killed Bobby Kennedy?' However, it is clear that he probably would have won the election and paired with the extremely vagueness the assassin's words said to him before he fired the shot, implied that someone didn't want him in office. The major characters include a couple marrying to avoid being sent to Vietnam, an alcoholic performer/singer with a very unappreciated husband, a hairdresser with an unfaithful husband, a kitchen manager with a cynical interpretation of life and two young men who enjoy avoiding responsibility. The minor characters like the kitchen staff, receptionists, the drug dealer, the retired man with Alzheimer's and the waitress aspiring to be an actor are as interesting as the main characters. The film dealt with emotions encountered with betrayal, love and humanity. Therefore, the scene with the most impact showed how people of all races, class and religions grieved at the shooting and death of Bobby Kennedy, a betrayal of humanity. Although, the film left me with a feeling of hope despite this occurrence. Altogether, good direction, great plot and good dialogue. Emilio Estevez pleasantly surprised me with this piece! It was well done.
maxthesax
maxthesax

June 5, 2008
I found this film to be a window into a space in time. The charactors believable, even if some of the stories weren't about much - that's the point; they were there, going about their lives, and were touched by having hope taken away. I find so many parellells to the Obama campaign, and believe that many who work for the campaign feel just as strongly for their candidate and the hope he brings for re-uniting the country and casting aside the political structure we've been tethered to these past 40 years.

Still, that really is digressing from the movie itself, though that IS the message; and needs to be underlined.

I truly enjoyed this film and was shaken by the chaos of the immediate aftermath of the shooting, and was compelled to feel the loss and sense of emptiness that all those involved felt. That was the film's true intention and it delivered in spades.
aliyanto
aliyanto

April 7, 2008
On its own terms, this movie is a reasonably moving potrayal of a society in need of salvation.
Emile T

December 24, 2007
Good movie with a good cinematography, good acting and good direction. Not to be compared to JFK or other good classics of this genre.
SilentWarProductions2009
May 8, 2007
Directed by: Emilio Estevez.
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Demi Moore, Elijah Wood, Heather Graham, Joshua Jackson, Laurence Fishburne, Lindsay Lohan, Nick Cannon, Sharon Stone, Shia LeBeouf, William H Macy.

I really wanted to like this film, I think that Emilio Estevez had great intentions and he showed a lot of potential, but aside from the final 20 minutes of the film, the film is undeveloped.

Now I am not one of those people who will turn around and say "OMG like it was like sooooooo boring", yes it did move at a slow pace, it wasn't always engaging, but I was never bored. Most of the film is fiction, with a majority of the 22 characters being added to the film, but I felt that that was one of the problems. We only get brief looks at these characters, there were some pairs that were written reasonably well (John Casey and Nelsons section mainly) but others we never really get much insight into and a majority of them don't really mix in with the message trying to be put across, aside from problems they have in life. The acting ensemble is amazing, a huge cast of known faces with the majority of them giving great performances, especially from Shia Labeouf and a major surprise from Nick Cannon. Emilio Estevez certainly did a great job with the direction, piecing together his work with old film reels of RFK quite well and he packs an amazing emotional punch in the final 20 minutes, which is helped alot by RFK's actual words (which isn't necessarily a good thing on Emilio's part as that speech is the best written part in the entire film).

Overall I feel that Emilio Estevez had the right intentions and his heart was in the right place, he does do quite well with his direction and the cast is great, but the many pointless sub-plots and some undeveloped characters, it lacked greatness.
Jose Z

September 8, 2007
Great movie, one of the best I've seen in the recent year. It is a very interesting view about one of the most shocking tragedies of U.S.A history, for thosae who didn't knew much about it, its a great oportunity to learn about it. The story is very interesting, about athe last days of Senator Robert F. Kennedy and how the lives of those who were around that moment change drastically. The plot very convincing. The directing job from Emilio Estevez in this movie was simply superb, it has great rythm and the way he combines the movie scenes wit real R.F.K footage give the film a sense of reality. The cast was simply wonderful, its is so difficult to have a bunch of great actors and actresses in a movie and watch excellent performances from everyone as you see it in this moviie. It was great to watch experienced actors like Anthony Hopkins, William H. Macy, Martin Sheen, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone and Laurence Fishburn with excellent and perfect performances working along young actors like Elijah Wood, Shia LaBeouf, Heather Graham and Josua Jacksonwith very good acting jobs, and even Lindasy Lohan looks good, if she can stay out of drugs, she can prove that she can be a great actress. To conclude, this was an amazing experience, definitely an enjoyable and entertaining movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat for two hours. A film that will make you cry and laugh.
sainttom93
sainttom93

July 16, 2007
I don't care HOW the critics panned this movie, I lived thru this and I loved the movie --
Dan S

June 27, 2007
At first interesting, but it went down hill really fast. Why should we care about a much of materialistic and selfish individuals who were around the time Bobby got shot? I don't know about you, but I only cared about one person this entire movie, Robert Kennedy, who we saw and learned little of.
Bannan i

June 19, 2007
Wow, such an interesting way of retelling a certain moment in history. The cinematography was pretty lovely, and it was quite original how they made it in such a way where there was no need to have someone play 'Bobby'.

As you learn the stories of all the people surrounding this incident, whether they were directly involved or not it just gives us a general idea of the time period and what Bobby's efforts were. How they were met, what different people were struggling with at the time when they knew that Bobby showed up at the right time to do the right thing.

Each person faces triumphs and struggles, painting us the image that it doesn't matter what era we are born in we all face similar dilemmas in today's society.

An amazing cast that makes up these regular American citizens that become part of history. We see each character through the eyes of themselves, their friends, their family and it gives a multi-faceted view of things.

This was a riveting and interesting story to watch unfold, and it just suits it wonderfully how Robert F. Kennedy's speeches are interspersed throughout the film as a reminder and then to give it the full effect.

All in all this a film I would recommend to anyone. Simply outstanding.
Luke B

April 14, 2007
A large and fantastic ensemble cast create a very promising debut from Estevez. A very well edited and scripted piece, which really manages to handle so many different storylines going on at once, unlike 'Crash'. Very similar to JFK in style, such as montages, real footage and the music used. It perfectly captures and manages to address all the issues of that period of America, such as the war, drugs, race etc. Very emotional at times, with just a few glitches such as overlong preachy and cliched speaches which sometimes really are terrible. Drags at certain points, but this may just be because I found some stories more interesting than others, and wanted the film to get back to them.