Cavite

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Cavite Reviews

June 8, 2013
Although the idea is intriguing, the presentation is disjointed and tedious.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

May 4, 2013
In "Cavite," Adam(Ian Gamazon, who made this film with Neill Dela Llana), 32, works as a security guard in San Diego when he gets the call to return to his native Philippines. Along the way, he finds out that the worst place to find out his girlfriend is breaking up with him and intending to have an abortion is at a pay phone in an airport. Upon arriving in Manila, he finds himself in an episode of "Mission: Impossible" when he discovers a carefully placed cell phone and handset in his backpack. The voice at the other end of the line gives very detailed directions and, despite his karaoke aspirations, makes perfectly clear what will happen to Adam's sister and mother if Adam does not follow them to the letter.

Of all its early tone shifts, the one "Cavite" is not really aiming for is suspense, as it slowly and carefully dispenses information while showing off the Philippines to their worst advantage, much to the consternation of the local tourist council. As much as the movie wants to have something thoughtful to say on the local situation, one has to wonder whose side the movie is on, not just politically, but also philosophically, especially with a protagonist as feckless as Adam.(Anytime someone uses a specific age north of 30 in a movie is not out to be kind.) The kidnapper uses homophobic slurs, not so much to be hateful, but as a way of going after Adam's masculinity while also questioning the level of his beliefs. And as much as the movie wants to shock us with racism in the epilogue, I am pretty sure nobody has ever said those exact words before.
November 15, 2011
Focusing on the bag thief eating McDonald's while the mark was in the bank was a great way to break the tension and get around filming inside the bank. It's incredibly stupid that he didn't give the phone number to a police officer though, especially after he got the money. I know he is a security guard and not a negotiator, but he could have at least got one of his relatives back by refusing to hand over the money. So gullible, he is in good company with his dim girlfriend; "I can't have a Muslim baby" Like superstitions are inherited? Decent guerrilla film-making, would make for a good remake.
Reynaud C.
December 25, 2009
I know I am late doing this. But I am still compeled to make a comment. I have visited Manila, and Cebu. I am an American married to a Filipina. This is a reality most Americans never see unless they have been in the military or peace corps and spent time in the P.I. I have walked around in squatters camps and personally smelled the stinch or the garbage in some streets. Yet the Filipino people survive and can be very friendly to visitors to their country. In the US we are very material minded. Therefore facing reality is not something we are mature enough to accept. We take for granted all we are blessed with. Surprising that even when you ride a jeepney. You can pass your fare from one rider to another and nobody tries to keep or steal the fair. They like many Mexican people are extremely hard working people. They are frank to the point and do not play games like many other people from other countries (like ours) do.
twobad4youguy
July 1, 2008
I own this movie,,but I haven't had the time to watch it yet
June 10, 2008
I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
MovieGuruDude72
June 4, 2007
Moral of this story = it sucks in the Phillippines.
llanesmark777
November 21, 2007
One of the best Pinoy indie film ive seen.
HOST1LE
September 9, 2007
seeing as i'm half filipino..
rubytue
July 21, 2007
decent ultra low budget thriller
taylor198
July 17, 2007
i dont even know what it is
leonoraa
July 16, 2007
With what they had to work with, it's a great start. Definitely could've been edited more and some of the dialogue was redundant. Do we really need an explanation for the drink being served in a bag. We get it. There were a few other scenes like that, and the whole girlfriend conflict so was not needed, and again redundant. Ian you've come a long way from "Mack and Mona", but you were definitely a better actor in "lil' bastard."
PinkBohemianSweetie
June 26, 2007
Another Pinoy film that is critically-acclaimed in other countries...interesting! ^*^
March 23, 2007
Going back to the home land.
June 18, 2006
I'm going to avoid this one for now.
October 10, 2006
An interesting project but it did not captivate what could have been the heart of the movie, The guy on the phone did not sound as formidable as he should and he had a funny accent. I find the story to be dragging. 3 stars for effort, though.
JuddishhEhE
September 1, 2006
Wow!! This is my hometown... ooh sounds intresting =)... The beheadings dnt sound nice to watch tho...!!
FlipMode
August 22, 2006
I think this movie will be great, since I'm Filipino, and the title is my hometown: Cavite. I recommend this to people who want to know the REAL story of our struggle.