Movies Like In the Shadow of the Moon

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

In the Shadow of the Moon Reviews

Matthew S

July 7, 2011
A spiritual journey about the audacity of man, the will power of man, the brilliance of man, the smallness of man. Dozens of anecdotes from the handful of aging men still alive today who landed on that terrestrial body 250,000 miles away. Hundreds of images to give a glimpse of what they experienced and its gravity on our humanity.
Dan S

February 28, 2010
An extremely rich look on the glory of space exploration that took place in the 1960's, and the men who took part in the historic achievement of landing on the moon. This deep and fascinating documentary requires no overlooking narration, instead it puts its story in the hands of the men who flew to the moon and back, who recall their experiences and sometimes humorous experiences with genuine fondness. This is a special film, although I feel it's aimed more at the generation that grew up during this period, serving as a nice trip down memory lane. However I still very much enjoyed it and learned a lot from it. The footage captured of the moon is just downright arresting. The last five minutes or so of the film also turn out to be the most touching, as each of these men effectively show their sincere humility concerning their lives and experiences.
gor41
gor41

June 1, 2008
Functional doc on the moon landings which inevitably suffers by comparison with 'Apollo 13''s heightened emotions.
Aaron N

August 20, 2007
Michael Collins: Everywhere we went, instead of saying "you did it, you Americans did it," they were saying "we did it, we, the human race, did it," and I thought that was a wonderful thing.

This movie reminded me of when I was younger and really enjoyed all things that had to do with space, astronauts, and NASA. I can remember having different space shuttle toys, seeing Apollo 13 at least three time in theaters, and how excited I was when I first visited the Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C. I've also always been a Buzz Aldrin fan.

This is a documentary that goes of NASA's Apollo missions, interviewing the surviving crew members who were a part of the different trips to the moon. While Neal Armstrong is notably absent due to his reclusive nature, these other men are very entertaining to listen to, providing some laughs, some very interesting information, and a great energy showing how positive and dear to their heart it was to be among the very few who have actually visited another world. There is no narration in this film.

The movie also makes great use of archive footage during that time. Seeing actual rockets take off into space and split apart is always cool to see. There is also footage of JFK's speech about the plans to go to the moon, footage of test rockets blowing up, and of course, footage of ships orbiting and landing on the moon.

There is even some interesting footage that was shot in advance of the moon landing. It was a piece read by Nixon in case the astronauts were not able to relaunch off of the moon and were stuck, in which case Nixon assured the people of how great their sacrifice was. An interesting piece of footage.

The end credits also have a number of humorous moments from the crew members explaining how ludicrous they believe the conspiracy theorists are to accuse them of not going to the moon.

This is a very well made documentary, that features the still lively crew members that had made it to another world and back.

Eugene Cernan: We made a total of nine trips to the moon. Why would we fake it nine times?
Ross C

August 21, 2007
I was always going to enjoy this one! The inspirational story of the Apollo moon landings entirely narrated by the astronauts themselves. Some of whom are really great story tellers, in particular Mike Collins' humour really makes this British documentary entertaining.
John B

September 20, 2007
A very good personal record of the astronauts who landed on the moon but without Neil Armstrong's contribution, it leaves a huge hole. I could swear as well that there is better film of the lunar landing out there that for whatever reason was not used.
William G

September 15, 2007
A tremendous chronicle of the men who went to the moon.
Richard F

March 9, 2008
Amazing footage well put together. This is a story that must be told by the aging men that were the only humans to walk on the moon. However, much of this story was already told in the masterpiece "Apollo 13". Nevertheless, kudos to Ron Howard for this inspiring documentary.
Dracula787
Dracula787

February 16, 2008
This film examines a very familiar subject that?s been analyzed in many feature films and mini-series. That subject is the 1969 moon landing, an event that has almost become ledged. In order to look at this subject in a new light the filmmakers decided to examine the mission on a more personal level through interviews with the astronauts involved. The film effectively edits these high quality interviews with period video footage, effectively telling this familiar story.
Wu C

January 15, 2008
Moving and visually stunning documentary about stories shared by astronauts who flew into space.
August 2, 2014
Director David Sington has made a movie that is romantic about the space program and about the United States that is infectious in its zeal. In an age when we don't have an active space program, this movie is a beautiful way to capture the imaginations of people, the same way the original Apollo programs did. With interviews with astronauts themselves and an amazing amount of primary footage, Sington is able to tell the story in a way that is engaging and often moving.
December 2, 2011
Outstanding documentary on the Apollo era. Many gorgeous shots of the landings themselves (especially in blu-ray) plus clips from news broadcasts of the time the give a hint of how earth shaking the moon landings were. Elegant time capsule from a glorious period.
dstravelwriter
October 29, 2010
Excellent docu. Would like to fly a ship to the moon one of these days (at least I'd be away from my nagging mother...)
ristrawn
March 25, 2009
exciting times of explorations & human accomplishments... Neil A. Armstrong "This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." summarized our sentiments...
April 22, 2008
A monumental achievement about another monumental achievement. All the cliche words find their meanings here: spell-biding, awe-inspiring, and stunning. A must for anyone and everyone.
July 3, 2008
great doc loved the first-hand accounts these guys aren't going to be around much longer good thing we have this artifact now
June 24, 2008
Visually stunning and extremely interesting. It was very moving to hear these special, fortunate men speak of their memories, and to see their eyes as they recall the wonder that none of the rest of us will ever experience. A must-see.
flixsterbum
April 8, 2008
I'm a sucker for any story revolving around the advent of the space program and the race to the moon, so I knew I'd enjoy this as soon as I added it to my queue. It's great listening to the actual astronauts describe what it was like being launched into space, orbiting the moon, stepping foot on an alien world. And it also brought up some issues I hadn't considered, such as some of the astronauts feeling guilty that they were in the space program while their fellow pilots were flying missions in Vietnam. My only complaint is that the editing of the movie is a bit disjointed, jumping back and forth between missions so that it doesn't give you a completely clear idea of the timeline of the missions. But a minor complaint. Using tons of footage from the missions, as well as footage of the newscasts and man on the street reactions, you can feel the excitement of what it was like to see a man setting foot on an alien world for the first time and it reminds you of the hope and excitement that Kennedy's challenge stirred in the nation. Makes you wonder if we'll get to see a "In the Shadow of Mars" when we're old and gray.
February 23, 2008
Feels like it's missing something. Not nearly as interesting a film as I would have hoped. Not even up to par with a Discovery Channel documentary.