Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! Reviews

½ October 21, 2009
Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! (1958) -- [5.5] -- Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward play a busy married couple whose relationship is threatened by everything from the town trollop (Joan Collins) to the US military. "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys!" is a comedy of errors from Leo McCarey ("The Awful Truth", "An Affair to Remember") where the parts are better than their sum. I like the early scenes between Newman and Woodward, as well as Newman's outrageous scenes with Joan Collins, but the movie tries to do too much in the last half. I didn't care about the subplots involving the military or a community pageant reenacting the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock. If the film concentrated more on the three leads, it might have pulled together better.
April 12, 2015
The army plot was kind of weird but it was a situation comedy with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Refreshing and hilarious.
½ April 2, 2015
gr8 cast makes this one go
½ February 21, 2013
A Lovely Triangle by Joan Collins,Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward
January 31, 2011
This was a bad movie. Newman was terrible and Woodward was okay. It was made in 1958, the year they were married. Leo McCary directed and wrote the screenplay with Claude Binyon. These two must share the blame with Newman and Woodward for this fiasco.

Max Shulman, was a popular TV writer and author of humorist books and I think Rally Round The Flag was a funny, entertaining read.

I must be in a minority here, because the movie was well received: "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! was nominated for the Golden Laurel Awards held on September 23, 1959 and received 4th place for both Top Comedy Female Performance (Joanne Woodward) and Top Comedy. Director Leo McCarey was later nominated for the Directors Guild of America Award in 1960 for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures for Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys!." And a 1958 review in the NYT was favorable.
½ October 21, 2009
June 1, 2009
ok but not my cup of...
December 6, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ November 2, 2008
This is a funny comedy
You can view it on Flixster