The Hunting Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunting Party Reviews

½ March 27, 2015
The actors seem to be having a lot of fun and the dialogue is mostly very funny, but it is really hard to buy into most of this ludicrous "based in real events" plot that has a major revenge cliché as motivation for the main character and is a tonal mess in its stupid third act.
February 26, 2015
Occasionally pretty silly, the movie trivializes the war in Bosnia, but it makes a good point about the war criminals not being found.
January 13, 2008
A drama with some action scenes but mostly drama about news reporters/journalists trying to find "The Fox" a dangerous man in Bosnia.. First i thought it could be a slow boring movie but it had some great moments which made me like it and how the end will turn out. True story aswell..
½ April 6, 2014
Enjoyed this, it has a very original feel and is helped along by solid acting from Gere, Howard and even Eisenberg. I enjoyed the tone of this movie; serious yet sarcastic, realistic yet as the opening title card says "Only the most ridiculous parts of this story are true." Terence Howard narrates throughout as we follow a young journalist, a seasoned cameraman and a discredited war correspondent as they embark on an unauthorized mission to find the No.1 war criminal in Bosnia. There's nothing really flashy about this, no huge special effects but the story is intriguing, and I enjoyed seeing things from a journalist's perspective. The fact that they're able to stumble upon "The Fox" even though the CIA "can't" find him, is comical. Some of the scenes were wrapped up a little too easily. Gere's character is heartbreaking, he's so broken. Was impressed by Eisenberg especially in the torture scene with the tattooed dude with the axe, he looked genuinely scared. 8/24/14
½ September 1, 2014
Sort of interesting as the Muslims have been ethnic cleansing for centuries and Hollywood does a show showing them apprised, well wrong is wrong and wright is wright, hope they guy rots in Hell
March 29, 2014
Never liked miss Gere , this was decent to watch
December 17, 2013
Interesting story, based on true events.
December 1, 2013
this is a movie worth chasing down-good actioner
November 19, 2013
They tried to accomplish what Confessions of a Dangerous Mind did, but didn't handle the material well. Of course having Richard Gere, Terrence Howard and a young Jesse Eisenberg can't hurt the movie, so instead of the two and a half stars, I'll go with the three. It was entertaining all the way.
September 27, 2007
oh my lord
simply amazing
½ January 30, 2008
A fascinating and genre-bending true story done in inventive ways.
August 4, 2013
Its like your bipolar friend, a likeable bipolar friend.
July 8, 2013
A movie with so much potential, great cast, solid performances from said cast but it falls apart to easily due to a weak script and weak direction, and unfortunately both are from the same person Richard Shepard, this movie could have been great.
½ July 3, 2013
The "Hunting Party" was a movie I gave a B plus to the first time I watched. On second viewing I pumped it up to an A minus. Unlike many films it gets better with a repeat viewing.

It's a dark comedy with complex nuances not appreciated by casual viewers. In fact, if you want to watch this while surfing the Web or doing something else forget about it. You will miss vital moments and then think the movie wasn't that good. Or, maybe you'll watch it all and still think that but that is why reviews are subjective.

Tale focuses on a man nicknamed Duck (Terence Howard) who is in a high position for a network but secretly misses his days as a camera man when he and his former buddy, Simon (Richard Gere), went through dangerous areas of the world to report to the world. But it all fell apart in the middle of the Bosnian War when Simon lost it during a live report and after that debacle was removed from the Big Leagues. We never find out until the end of the film why Simon lost it and it's a pretty good reason once you hear it from the perspective of Duck.

And speaking Duck it's his story as he is the one choosing when to narrate and when to not do so.

It's years later and Duck returns to Bosnia after the war has ended yet various leading criminals have yet to be caught and the question is raised as to whether the United Nations is really trying that hard to get them. Along with Duck is a young intern just out of Harvard (played by Jesse Eisenberg), who got the position because his father is an important executive.

What then follows is Simon linking up with the two and convincing them both to travel into the heart of Bosnia to find one of the most vile criminals, nicknamed The Fox. At first you think they're doing it for the five million dollar reward but not surprisingly you find out other factors are involved in the equation.

As this is a dark comedy it toes the line from dark humor to utter seriousness. Sometimes it does a fine job of doing it well and other times, well, it's open to opinion.
That said, this picture is an interesting buddy picture which focuses on a dark part of our History and makes some valid points we should be thinking over.

The acting by the three people mentioned is absolutely awesome. Their interplay from serious to comedic lines flows well and you truly feel Duck and Simon care about one another even though their paths have differed later on.

This film had mixed reviews and a low Box Office turnout (even in Bosnia) which doesn't surprise me based on the depressing subject matter. The budget was about $60M and it made just under $1M at the Box Office. As I've said in previous reviews Americans don't like to watch the serious stuff. To be fair I didn't care to see this film until somebody told me about it, too.

The End Credits show what truly existed from this tale and you discover that some of the more "ridiculous" elements actually happened.

Loosely based on an Esquire article by Scott Anderson in which a group of journalists decide to try and find a war criminal, Radovan Karadi?, "The Butcher of Bosnia". Cameos by some of those people in this picture.

STORY/PLOTTING/EDITING: B plus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: A minus to A; CINEMATOGRAPHY/CGI: A minus; SOUND/MUSIC: A minus; BOSNIAN FOCUSES: B plus to A minus; DARK HUMOR: B to B plus; OVERALL GRADE: A minus; WHEN WATCHED: late June 2013 (streamed) (second viewing).

SPOILERS: as stated above it's Duck's story and it's a nice touch after they're all rescued and he decides to go back into a dangerous area to capture the fictional war criminal, "The Fox".
May 16, 2013
non mi ha detto nulla, però c'era jesse eisenberg
November 29, 2011
Part of me wants to really like "The Hunting Party" and then part of me wants to dismiss it as the forgettable result of a lazy script. Personally, I think it's sort of a mixture of the two. Good chemistry between Richard Gere, Terrence Howard and Jesse Eisenberg and some clever scenarios give it the same kind of enjoyable 'feel' that Richard Shepard's "The Matador" has, but then it has areas that lag and feel uninspired and it closes on a hurried note. I won't say that I didn't find "The Hunting Party" fun and, at times, original, but it isn't nearly as ambitious as it could have been. Shepard should release a director's cut that tacks on about twenty minutes.
½ October 18, 2009
Weak plot, writing and Gere was painful to watch at times. I attribute most of the problems to the directing, but gave it an extra half star for addressing the war criminals in Bosnia.
November 4, 2007
This film about journalists on the hunt for a Serbian war criminal suffers from being a bit undecided what exactly it wants to be. Sometimes it's a really dark commentary on the meaningless and brutality of war, the necessity to report about it as it is and then it tries to be some kind of satire, which just does not fit together that well. Whenever it concentrates on the ruined Bosnian houses, cities, and the lonely hills and forests, with the protagonists traveling through that hostile environment it has some really good moments. The humor seems out of place then, and the final info texts before the end credits try to make it look like a much quirkier film than it was or should have been, for that matter. Technically and as far as the acting is concerned, there is no reason to complain.For a film that is trying to portray reality the solution to the story comes a bit too easily and realistically. Entertaining but not entirely satisfying.
½ December 8, 2012
Interesting story and a rather enjoyable watch, however it didn't grip me too much and there are quite a few downfalls in the plot. Overall nothing special but worth a watch.
December 7, 2012
Richard Gere i like him so yes i will see it some time!