Pittsburgh Reviews

February 23, 2010
(First and only viewing - Fall 2009)
½ February 10, 2014
I'm a fan of Goldblum and really enjoyed Pittsburgh as it displays his persona taking on ridiculousness. This could have been a terrible vanity project but wound up having a quirky heart and soul.
DrStrangeblog
½ July 9, 2011
This is quite a funny mockumentary reminding me why I used to enjoy seeing the name Jeff Goldblum on a cast list. Here he plays himself, Jeff Goldblum, with the sudden desire to forgo his film career (much to his agent's exasperation) and star in a local theater production of The Music Man back in his hometown of Pittsburgh. Problem is, he only realizes he can't really sing and can't really dance until he has already shmoozed his way into the lead role to the chagrin of some in the theater company. Meanwhile, his friend Ed Begley Jr. gets him involved in a potentially financially ruinous solar energy scam, and another friend Illeana Douglas begins dating Moby who, as Jeff discovers, has some peculiar fetishes. One of those rewarding discoveries that reaffirms why I keep giving little unknown films a chance.
November 5, 2007
I hate mockumentaries and I am not the greatest fan of Goldblum.
½ August 14, 2009
Very funny. Goldblum really shines in the pseudo improv-mockumentary about his starring in an off-off-Broadway version of The Music Man in Pittsburgh. Check out his face during rehearsals -priceless
August 1, 2008
Painfully horrible! Half the movie is people telling Jeff Goldblum how much they love him in Independence Day and Jurassic Park. Those movies are old and Goldblum is horrible. The plot is so uninteresting that there has been better plot development watching my dog lick his own ass. A movie about an inflated head on a B actor.
June 21, 2008
This was a cute little mocumentary.
March 14, 2008
Funny bizarre story... Offers a different side to the "stars" in it.
½ January 14, 2008
Very cute movie. Jeff came off as a spastic crazy. And I loved the sex addicted Moby! Too funny. And I will forever love Ed Begley, Jr. and lust after his wife.
December 7, 2007
A doc/mock - umentary. (some of it was true - most of it was true - but some of it was ...embellishment) about the summer when Jeff Goldblum returned to his home town of Pittsburgh and starred in the musical "The Music Man" on stage for two weeks at the Benedum. I grew up with Jeff in the Steel Valley of Pittsburgh - his dad was the town dentist on Main St. He's a few yrs older than me but I knew him and he was really a cool and great guy (as I'm sure he is now). I DO think this movie was fun for me as being from Pittsburgh it was fun pointing out all the landmarks and recognizing just plain folks we know from around here. I'm a little biased I'm sure. However I think this would still be a noteworthy 3.5 stars any way. His best bud Ed Begley Jr is a hoot in this as well. The premise here (I believe) is that in the Music Man the lead character (Professor Hill) had bitten off more than he could chew - and he had to believe he could do what he said he could do - even if it wasn't perfect. Jeff Goldblum really had to push himself to believe he could play this part and do musical theater - might not be the best - but he could do it. (and he did) You GO hometown boy. Pittsburgh loves ya.
If you're a Goldblum fan and/or from Pittsburgh - you'll enjoy.
October 20, 2007
A very funny, Christopher Guest-style mockumentary - plus I'm very Pittsburgh, so any recognition is always great!
September 13, 2007
Unusual film, a sort of mockumentary, but with real actors playing themselves. It's interesting, also slow at times. Usually funny, but it doesn't always work. I do admire the fact that it is not an ordinary film and something different was attempted.