—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Reviews

John M

May 9, 2008
A musical slasher flick that is just beyond fun. This is Tim Burton and if you dont care for him dont watch but if you do this is a good one.
Bob S

December 25, 2007
ennui - i'm done with the burton / depp show. just another vehicle for same - albeit a witty tuneful one.
Alexander D

July 17, 2011
Review coming soon.
Market Man
Market Man

October 12, 2012
I normally don't like musicals but "Sweeney Todd" is an exception. The story is powerful and is accompanied with some decent songs. It gets brutal at times and the meat pies are downright disgusting. But still, it's very entertaining.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

September 21, 2009
I was never the biggest musical fan,I had very little interest in the genre.However, when I saw this film, it was incredible.A strong story fused with the amazing talents of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. With powerful yet touching music, this is quite possible Tim Burton's greatest film.
paul o.
paul o.

February 5, 2012
Probably one of the few musicals that I didn't hate. Its plot is dark and the singing augments it. A fun watch for the older audience.
3niR
3niR

February 19, 2010
It's an odd musical movie. Some songs were really catchy. I wouldn't say I liked it a lot but it wasn't that bad.
blkbomb
blkbomb

November 28, 2011
Sweeney Todd: And I will get him back even as he gloats in the mean time I'll practice on less honorable throats, and my Lucy lies in ashes and I'll never see my girl again!

"Never Forget. Never Forgive."

I first may say that I am not an avid fan of musicals. There are a select few I love, others I can appreciate, but for the most part I find most unwatchable. Sweeny Todd is one of the ones I can appreciate. The only reason I like it as much as I do is because it is a Tim Burton-Johnny Depp-Helena Bonham Carter collaboration and when those three get together, it is always special.

The film is wonderfully dark, violent, bloody, bizarre and downright sinister. I love it for that. It is as creative and stylish as any Tim Burton film I have seen. But it is a musical, so the constant stopping of plot progression to have a nice tune is going to annoy me. Except for a few instances; it always does. I loved the direction of the movie, like with just about every other one of Burton's films and of course the dark performances from Depp and Carter are perfect compliments to the dark themes of the film.

A barber returns after being imprisoned for many years for a crime he did not commit. A judge sent him away because he loved the barbers wife. When he returns home, he is set on vengeance. He meets a baker who specializes in meat pies and puts his barbershop above her shop. Then the two start slitting throats and making the dead customers into meat pies.

If you don't like blood that projectiles all over the place, is movie isn't for you. The violence and darkness of the film is what kept me watching though. It's so incredibly clever and kind of terrifying in a way. You go into get and shave and the next thing you know your throat has an incision from ear to ear. Burton brings the play to life with amazing detail and makes a one of a kind musical that the whole family can't enjoy. That always makes me happy. God knows I'm sick of seeing musicals where little 7 year old girls are hopping through a meadow singing about flowers and sunshine.
Daniel P

December 20, 2007
I had low expectations for Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, maybe because I saw Alice in Wonderland before it... I forgot how good he can make the classic horror stories look! As with all of his films, this one has a consistent aesthetic, and it's helped along by a great Sondheim score (I had actually never seen this show on stage or in any film adaptation before). And though it's a mainstream foray by this otherwise wacky director, where Sleepy Hollow was a little sleepy, Sweeney Todd is tight, always moving. It's a little sentimental and over-acted in places, sure, but what musical isn't? I was thoroughly impressed by Depp, who (for once) ACTUALLY disappeared into his role, without all the stupid costumes, and the British rest of the leads, too, were a delight. (I'm becomming a huge Timothy Spall fan!) Entertaining, touching and... bloody. Great popcorn film.
Phil H

January 26, 2008
OK first of I just wanna say that although I like Depp, in this he is simply a cross of Ed Scissorhands and Jack Sparrow haha we have seen and heard it before and its alittle poor really. He looks the part and sings ok but his performance is just like all his others really, and I read that this time he based his character around David Bowie of sorts, hmmmm lets just see your take on a character Mr Depp, make it your own not an impression of someone else.

Anyway the rest of the cast is fantastic. Carter and Rickman are brilliant, Carter looking like a live action 'Sally' from 'Nightmare Before Xmas'. Rickman is devious and intelligent sounding as usual haha but Tim Spall is absolutely amazing....his performance as Rickmans right hand thug is sooo good and quite scary really. He seems to play him slightly camp almost, he really tries to steal the show and in my opinion does. A gentle voiced, nasty 'Bill Sykes' springs to mind. The young boy in the cast is very good and sings well and Sasha Baron Coen makes a good small role at the begining with his Italian barber.

And yes everybody does sing and quite well, nothing remarkable of course but they sound fine for this film, probably some touchup here and there in the edit.

The look of the film is grim, dark your basic Burton set up really and suits it perfectly. The colours are dim or faded against a wash of grey scale and black (Burtons trademark black and white hooped clothing pattern evident in one scene) There is a huge amount of blood which is clearly theatrical blood, not your real looking horror pic blood which makes it more manageable (the film being 18 cert) and there is also, of course, alot of music involved.much more than I thought to be honest, its almost continuous throughout which is OK but at times u do wish for alittle more speech, some of the songs do grate somewhat haha.

Overall I was surprised, it does work well despite too many musical numbers, its allot more brutal than I expected (you gotta feel for Carter's character at the end, a nasty way to go and she was only in love) it looks gorgeous, as expected though, and the excellent cast keeps you glued to the screen. One bad note, the ending is alittle flat and atad of an anti-climax, you wanted a more intense ending for the anti hero, it fades out too lightly.

highly recommended
BG Movie Reviews
BG Movie Reviews

September 13, 2011
Burton/Depp is nothing new in films nowadays, this being the, and I quote from the DVD blurb, "[their] razor-sharp sixth installment...", of their co-elition in films, and it most certainly pleases. Being one of their more menacing and grim films than the likes of Corpse Bride or The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd tells the tale of a barber who killed his customers, then turned them into pies for money and to have vengeance for having his daughter taken away from him. And like Corpse Bride and TNBC, it IS a musical!

Although designed to be dark, a comical side comes to light a lot of the time, including a sequence where Depp sings a nice little song, and whilst doing so starts killing people. And for those fans of Borat and Bruno, Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat and Bruno) features in the film, singing a ridiculously high part whilst pulling it off brilliantly and giving his part the correct comedic value the part required.

On the violent side of the film, the colour of the blood is a very odd choice. To put it into context, ketchup would have been more realistic! Speaking to someone about the odd colour I found out that it was actually to make the colour stand out on the very dark, bleak setting in the background.

On the musical side, the singing was good and came across well and as it should have been. The tunes are clever and soon become familiar. Even now I'm still singing the songs from the film!
The only thing that bugged me about the film was that it didn't stay true to parts of the original Sondheim musical. Songs were missed out, music was simplified and parts of the story were slightly changed, whilst keeping the amazing and shocking twist at the end the same (it's really good. Unfortunately, I had it spoilt just before watching the film!). If it weren't for these small problems, the film would be getting 100%.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
It would be an understatement to call this film great. It's a masterpiece, a totally mesmerizing film with a masterful hand-picked, perfectly cast Johnny Depp, who is unbelievably talented in probably his greatest performance of his life.
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
This is one of those movies that punches in the gut and leaves you out of breath for a great deal of the finale. Sweeney Todd does not disappoint as a great musical about a barber out for revenge. The numbers are great and guess what... Johnny Deep can actually sing! Sacha Baron was pretty good in his role too. The "A Little Priest" sequence might be one of the most brilliant musical pieces ever portrayed. I've watched this one several times and have the soundtrack. Excellent musical!!
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Great performance from Johnny Depp and a really creepy film!
Sophie B

December 17, 2007
Very good visualy, an interesting style. However the singing seemed to come out of nowhere at times and it was a bit slow at points too. Good performances.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

May 22, 2011
"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" is unmistakably a Tim Burton film. That is an extremely loaded statement, if you ask me. Burton comes with many strengths and weaknesses and they are on rampant display in this goth musical. First, his desire to constantly cast Johnny Depp (his admitted muse) and Helena Bonham Carter (his wife) over and over again really gets in the way here. While Depp nor Carter are bad here, they are just miscast. They are obviously doing what they can with the material but their singing voices are clearly not up to par and they generally look uncomfortable with the staging needed for the music. Burton's eye for elaborate set design does remain in tact; he creates a twisty, moody London. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" has it's charms of production design and gothic splendor, but rocky casting and musical performances took me right out of the story.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
I like Sweeney Todd in that it's the most stylishly effective musical. It might not be able to break out of its theatre counterpart, but then again it never intended to. This serves as the greatest version of the show anyone is ever going to see. Johnny Depp obliterates all and makes the character both realistic and crazy enough to be taken serious as a serial killer barber. His look and presence is a lot different from what you might expect. Much like its star, Tim Burton is able to stay true to the source material and manipulate it in order to fit his bizarre taste. It is quite possibly the epitome of goth/emo culture in that it has pale people dressed in all black going around playing with razors. That isn't to say that Sweeney Todd can't be universally loved and admired. I definitely like it for other reasons than it's been praised for. I'm just not someone who cares for musicals at all. There are very few exceptions where it truly does what it's meant to, at least in my opinion. So in that case, Sweeney Todd's only downside is that it's a Musical. However, the other elements are so strong and completely beautiful to watch that it cancels out.
Kristijonas F

April 10, 2011
A very humorous and off-kilter musical filled with creative Gothic imagery and plenty of macabre violence, Sweeney Todd also wins due to Tim Burton's confident, nimble direction and Johnny Depp's singularly impressive performance. The music is also very amusing.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 1, 2011
One of the best looking and enjoyable films evwr, Tim Burtons best
Kevin M

February 17, 2011
A dark, depressing, but somehow uplifting story with great, enjoyable songs, an impressive thrilling method, and two great actors to play the parts, but seriously, i think tim burton and johnny depp are literally gay