67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Billy the Kid Reviews

Tim S

August 14, 2009
Very sweet and endearing documentary with a great subject. I think anyone can relate with the awkwardness. My problem comes with how they dealt with one aspect of his life (his love for a girl) and we only gets bits and pieces of some really nice scenes. I think that to say this kid is "normal" is kind of a stretch, but that's not a bad thing and only adds to a feeling of being voyeuristic instead of just connecting with the subject. There are some priceless, very funny moments that carry you through the rough spots.
Christopher B

January 1, 2009
Get ready to cringe uncomfortably as you get to experience those awful, awkward teen years all over again. God, 15 was a tough age.
Billy, the subject of this fantastic documentary, may be a tad strange and angst ridden (what teen isn't?) but all in all he's a sweet kid with a weird way of expressing himself. The moments when he's trying to strike up conversation with Heather, the girl he has a crush on, should have folks running out of the theater screaming. This is uncomfortable viewing.
But in the end, the audience is right there with him, suffering his failures and feeling his sadness. A great documentary, and make sure to watch the short follow up doc included on the DVD.
May 11, 2008
An entirely compelling documentary of adolescence, with a perfectly honest main character. The film's best trait is that it captures authentic personal moments, both triumphant and depressing, without trying to explain them. The diner sequence in which Billy meets Heather's step-dad is potentially the greatest, most shattering scene ever committed to video. Get the DVD to watch the follow-up. Loses a few points for at times coming off as condescending to Billy.
jsbond008
January 18, 2009
Billy is not a normal 15 year old. In fact, if he grew up with money and was able to get 'tested' he would probably be called 'autistic' or 'ADHD' but Billy, the son of a crack-head trucker who abandoned him and his mother at a young age, in a small town in Maine is just considered 'unique'. and well, its completely OK because every small town needs there weird kid. Some wierd kids, learn they are weird and sort of play into it. I'm not sure if Billy, a man of poem and prose fell into this. He falls in love quickly but would certainly agree with Shakespeare 'better to have loved and lost then never love at all'. Billy is almost a real life Napoleon Dynamite mixed with the main character from the book 'Perks of Being a Wallflower'. My favorite thing about this documentary, and the character Billy in general is his ability to learn from his past, learn from his mistakes, and craft himself into a better human being because of it. For example, because his dad beat his mother he is against a man hitting a woman by all means, he won't even hurt a girl in a video game. I hope Billy finds a rad crowd and some cool people to hang with once he gets to college. He deserves it.
AstoundMe.Go.
November 30, 2012
My new favorite coming of age movie