Five Favorite Films With Peter Jackson

Summary

Peter Jackson has come a long way since his 1987 debut Bad Taste, a shoestring-budget splatter film shot in his native New Zealand that went on to earn a cult following. Yet there's something of that film's inventive and playful spirit in almost everything he's done since, be it bawdy puppets (1989's Meet the Feebles), killer teens (1994's Heavenly Creatures) or ice-skating apes (2005's King Kong). The Lord of the Rings trilogy made him a household name and earned him Oscar acclaim, while he's currently producing the long-awated prequel, The Hobbit, with Guillermo del Toro directing. As Jackson's latest, the murder-thriller-fantasy The Lovely Bones, arrives in cinemas, we caught up with him and asked him to name his all-time favorite films. He happily obliged. "My five favourite films of all time," Jackson pondered. "For different reasons, they would be... " Back to Article

Comments

steve s.

steve smith

damn peter jackson just threw down the best in the history of RT's 5 FAVES...

Dec 21 - 05:56 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Awesome list. Just what I expected from Jackson.

Dec 21 - 06:02 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Jaws defines suspense .

The most frightened I've been at the cinema.

Nothing in the last 34 1/2 years can top being in that theater with all those people screaming.

One of a kind experience.

Dec 21 - 07:10 PM

Madison B.

Madison Brewer

Goodfellas is in my top five as well, it's just such a marvelous film.

Dec 21 - 07:12 PM

MADDAZ

Darren Anderson

Jaws and Goodfellas would definately be in my top 10. I say let Jackson do a top 10 favourite movies list.

Dec 21 - 07:17 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

I'm just surprised no one has ripped him yet for not including "Avatar" ...

Meanwhile, has anybody else noticed how eerily similar his list is to Carrot Top's? (Who would have guessed THOSE TWO have such similar tastes!)

Dec 21 - 07:21 PM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

Agreed.

Dec 21 - 08:04 PM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

It was not the smash hit they were hoping for though. The production bidget was $207 million and it made $550 million worldwide. With advertising thrown in, that's a small profit considering the budget. And it got snubbed come award season. And the internet consensus was that it was bad. I loved the movie and feel it was a masterpiece achievment, but people definately did not feel the same way at the time.

Dec 21 - 08:07 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

@Jack Waters
Well you're not alone. All of my friends enjoyed it, though probably not as much as me (I'm a dinosaur nut).

For a spot-on dissection of why the average movie goer and even the average critic is not always in agreement with "the Internet" consensus, see Ashron's post near the end of the comment section of Avatar Oscar buzz. It's a great insight.

Dec 23 - 08:21 AM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

thanks. I'll check it out.

Dec 23 - 09:44 AM

DaBest94

Kenny Masen

Goodfellas is Scorsese's best.wow glad someone pointed this movie out in their list and it is as good as the godfather.

Dec 21 - 09:03 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

Solid list by Peter Jackson a true elite director.

But some have brought up Peter Jackson's "King Kong". The production budget was $207 million dollars exact (that includes "greasing the palms" which is usually what makes the majority of film budget so high) & even with marketing which was around $65 million dollars. The worldwide income was $547 million dollars (to be exact it was $547,051,260). With paying back the studio & the marketing, the film would still have made an extra $175 million dollars which isn't chump change by any means & by any studio making more money then what they actually paid is a plus. The film wasn't a failure by any means & do to it's lenght, the film couldn't have as many showings per day either. Peter Jackson's "King Kong" was critically praised & as time has gone on since it's release the perception of public about the film is more praised but that seems to happen alot with films. Within a few more years the film may become a modern day classic.

From a filmmaking standpoint, I can tell you (someone who is highly educated in the craft of film). The film hits the 26 elements of film storytelling pretty solid(not to get into much entailment). Peter Jackson's "King Kong" won't be forgotten in the annals of cinema as the film stands on it's own merit & terms.

Also, the film did win 3 Academy Awards in "Best Achievement in Sound Mixing", "Best Achievement in Sound Editing" & "Best Achievement in Visual Effects".

P.S. When it comes to the internet consensus (especially today sadly) & public consensus? The value of those two areas isn't worth much in the long run (it's only really valuable for Box-Office) because if they did mean much? Then films like "The Twilight Saga: New Moon", "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" & such would be considered classics while films like "Casablanca", "The Shawshank Redemption", "Citizen Kane", "Blade Runner", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Vertigo" & so forth (all of which have alot in common) wouldn't be.

Dec 21 - 09:06 PM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

Ya, it was successful. I was just making the point that it wasn't the phenomenal success I'm sure they were hoping for. They did well, but they wanted Avatar numbers. haha. Oh well. I wasn't arguing against the merits of the film. I think it is a masterpiece and I hope it is seen as a modern day classic as you said because it completely deserves it.

Dec 22 - 07:30 AM

Paul Jake S.

Paul Jake Smith

I just can%u2019t resist to be amaze with a writer who are truly exceptional for they articles that are really interesting to a blogger like me. I will not spend time reading an article when the topic is not important or has no the significant. You did a good job for always providing relevant and meaningful article.
Gold Coins

Dec 21 - 09:24 PM

steve s.

steve smith

Huh? you are "highly educated in the craft of film"
oh please stop!
my sides are splitting......
you are the "high priest of crap" maybe....
you might have "eaten 3 entire jars of KRAFT" cheese for lunch yesterday
maybe "crapped in your flintstones pajamas" last nite
which isit? come on...tell us da troof

Dec 21 - 09:25 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

@steve s.

Yes, I'm educated in film (That's what I majored in) you douche. I wasn't trying to be arrogant or some such. My sides are splitting from your ignorance & your dull-wittedness. You do know the craft of film is a skill set? Also, "tell us da troof"? Are you serious? Why don't you say "tell us the truth" instead of sounding like some who is missing teeth.

I bet I know what your wishing & singing for Christmas. It probably goes something like..."all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth, my two front teeth". Yep...but think whatever you want. Your the one who is the obtuse individual here.

Dec 21 - 11:43 PM

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

Good list, except Dawn of the Dead. It is a silly movie in my opinion. I know people love it, and obviously this is Jackson's personal list - but I just don't think it is one of the 5 best of all time (no offense zombie movie fans). I can't argue with the other picks.

Dec 21 - 09:25 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Great list. Great film maker.

But Peter...Halo. Where is it?

Dec 21 - 10:36 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

@steve s.

Dec 21 - 11:43 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

correction: instead of sounding like *someone* who is missing teeth.

Dec 21 - 11:44 PM

radioman970

James Perry

I think Kong and Dawn would safely be on that list forever. Nice to read a director's comment about his fav flicks.

Dec 22 - 04:40 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

One more thing on Jaws; that movie really did SO much to define film. They DO NOT make films like that anymore (or really, ever IMO). The acting is perfect (because you can't tell anyone is actually acting, it's so fluid), the locations and backdrops used, perfect (CGI is lazyman's filmmaking). Yes, the shark looks fake in some scenes, but you don't see the fake one enough to have that issue even distract you (the live action shots of sharks in it are edited, perfectly). Every time this movie comes on I'll stop and watch a chunk of it, even though I've seen it 500 times, it's that engrossing.

They simply do not make movies this way anymore. Speilberg has had some misfires, but for the fact that he made Jaws, I give him the benefit of the doubt on nearly everythinng that he makes that I'm interested in seeing (didn't want to see Schindlers List, too depressing).

Close Encounters is another masterpiece of his as well, but I'll leave that for another day. And I'm not saying this to start a fight, but James Cameron doesn't hold a candle to Speilberg, yet. Yet, I said yet. Making 3-4 good movies doesn't qualify in my book. Yes, I like Cameron's work, but I still can't blindly walk into one of his movies on faith.

Dec 22 - 04:46 AM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

Agreed on Jaws. That film is truly timeless and I watch anytime I see it's on. There will never be another film like it.

Dec 22 - 07:33 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Well said, rle4lunch. Mr Speilberg has the best career resume in the business, imo. I consider many of his movies game changers.

(Although Speilberg didn't direct TDK, the most awesome-est movie ever. *wink*)

Although, when Mr Cameron and Mr Jackson hit their 60's, it'll be fun to compare their resumes.

Any of PJ's Top Five movies (except the oldest one) would be on my Top X List on a given day.

And for the record: I really liked PJ's King Kong. I could have done without the brontosaurus stampede, but otherwise I think it was spectacular.

If rt is listening: I concur with the idea that, for the royal Elite of the movie industry, they should instead be allowed a Top *10* list.

Dec 22 - 09:11 AM

jomo999

Joe Morris

im not surprised to see two horrors there - going back to his roots. Fine choices from a fine director.

Dec 22 - 06:25 AM

Jack Waters

zachary leeman

Dec 22 - 07:30 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships