• PG, 1 hr. 30 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Americanizing Shelley Reviews

September 30, 2012
An American talent agent on the rise is given a chance to get his revenge on the man he worked for by turning his arranged wife into a smasher star in the making. Obnoxious comedy based on the usual story that turns an ugly woman into a knocker by untying her hair and taking off her glasses; some terrible racial stereotypes are thrown in the mix.
November 11, 2011
This film has offended me on so many levels, it is amazing! The only thing mildly good about the film is that Gujral looks beautiful on screen, but that is hardly any saving grace when I found out that she was also the writer!

To start of, the filmmakers conveniently assume that the audience has no clue what so ever about India and her culture, ancient or contemporary. The filmmakers are able to trivialize every aspect of Indian culture they reference. In this global world with so much interaction between countries and cultures it is appalling to see such trivialization of Indian culture. It is hard to believe that Indians were associated with this film, this film is able to show Indians in a worser light than what Peter Sellers was able to do with his fake Indian accent.

The story, direction and acting in this film is awful. Its amazing that the film was even released. i hope Gujral does not ever write a script, at least nothing that even remotely deals with India. Just an awful film.
October 27, 2011
the ole fish out water tale is redeaux with the fish called shelley (sorry couldn't resist the puns) with an indian girl in the USA-hollywood usa 2b exact!
May 5, 2009
Compared to all the other crap I've been watching lately, this was actully a step in the right direction.
AnnaJensen
October 30, 2008
Cute but seen before
October 20, 2008
oh, yeah this one...well see it if you really must
July 22, 2008
This was funny :) And feel-good..
BurninHeart
May 17, 2008
i absolutely lovvved this movie!!! it was amaaaazing! cute, sweet, and hilarious! lovvved it! :D

"All white people sound the same to me" lolll

it's very much like 'she's all that' but with that indian aspect...
jasongoldberg13
February 4, 2008
this is such a fun film. unusual and entertaining. namrata singh gujral is absolutely gorgeous. it was a fun way t o spend an afternoon.
samithehunk
April 4, 2008
You could be a good writer but not necessarily a good actor. Namrta Singh has got to learn that. The film is pretty ordinary. a tried and tested storyline of bollywood has been used for Hollywood but with least impact. only a few gigging moments courtesy the black guy. Watch it if you have nothing else available.
February 18, 2008
very interesting, mixing cultures... but wht's with the dancing 'round the tree? lol she turns out to be a pretty lady tho and losing the funny accent is a good idea lol
lurple
February 17, 2008
Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but the worst thing I've seen recently.
hearts69
February 7, 2008
love romanic comdey should be a good movie.
May 7, 2007
I totally adored this combination of Bollywood and Americanized film.
rositaedmee
February 6, 2008
It's an easy to watch movie, no strong scenes, no bad language, just a plain romantic comedy!!!
randixp
May 8, 2007
not gonna lie, I live in mortal fear of Beau Bridges.
licia4reel
May 3, 2007
wonderful,interestin movie.
May 2, 2007
could be interesting
May 2, 2007
what a terrible thing to happen to a person
pandorasboxx999
April 27, 2007
Another random "B" movie, however, this one, at least, seems . . . watchable, for lack of a better term.