Jason Statham Talks Crank 2, Transporter 3, and...Sub-Mariner?

Lock, stock, and two tiny wings on his ankles.

We all know Jason Statham is a bona fide action star -- poised to add to extend his credentials with The Bank Job, Crank 2, and The Transporter 3. But how long can he swim?

In a recent interview with IESB, Statham revealed that moviegoers might have had a chance to find out the answer to that last question, if things had turned out a little differently. Asked to name any comic book characters he might like to play, he responded:

Let me think... It's funny, I took a meeting for Sub-Mariner. I don't know if I'd look right running around in a tight speedo with wings on my ankles, but there's so many cool...characters.

What sort of cool characters, you ask? Well, after expressing regret over not winding up working on The Incredible Hulk with his Transporter 2 director, Louis Leterrier, Statham continued speculating:

You know, there's talk of them redoing The Crow. That was a good movie with Brandon Lee, although that was years ago. So if that one comes my way, bang! You know, there's so many comic book movies out there, and most of the time, there's only a handful of people who can do them any justice. Hopefully, they'll come my way for one of them.

Moving on to projects that are actually in the pipeline, Statham talked about Crank 2 and The Transporter 3, good-naturedly shrugging his shoulders at the prospect of doing back-to-back sequels:

Yeah, two franchises...You want to do something you want to do, and you want to do something that people want you to do. You don't want to just do a movie to be different...Right at the time, Transporter 3 and Crank 2 made the most sense because they're the characters people like. People like to pigeonhole you into the corner of that's all you can do, but they're going to do that anyway...If everyone enjoys it, then great. You can never please everyone.

Before heading into sequel territory, Statham will be seen in the based-on-true-events The Bank Job, opening March 7.

Source: IESB

Comments

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I see no reason to redo The Crow. The sequels to the original are bad enough and it's not like the movie is out-of-date or is likely to be substantially improved.

Jan 25 - 06:09 AM

AlbertBrodsky

AC Persons

I couldn't agree more. Jason Statham could only be a bad guy in the Crow at best. He's totally wrong for that kind of character. Plus the movie is a big part of Comic book history, you can't redo it. What underwear pervert could he play? I didn't dig the Sub-mariner as a kid. I don't know many who did.
He could have been a cool Green Hornet, but that's not mainstream and Seth Rogan is doing that one in comedy form.
He could have been a cool Daredevil. We know that one could stand to be redone.

Jan 25 - 06:58 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

They need to re-do Judge Dredd and have Statham star in that one. Let Alan Grant write the script and Robert Rodriguez direct. Have him go against the Angel gang played by the Nazi dudes from smoking aces.

Jan 25 - 07:30 AM

NewberL337

Sean Courchesne

That would be pretty nasty I think. I like Jason Statham haha, to be honest. His characters are so ridiculous that it's fun as hell. Crank and the Transporters as far as movies go, are, ridonkulous. However I went into my movie theater knowing and expecting over the top, crazy stupid action thats not based in our principles of physics whatsoever lol. So i think because I had held my disbelief and expected it to be what it was I appreciated for what it i think it's trying to be; a full out crazy action flick thats not to be taken to seriously.

As far as comic book character movies go, I agree with you guys The Crow is fine being what it is. Brandon Lee immortalized that character and no one is going to to do it the way he did. The sub-mariner is cool especially in his newer appearances with the Illuminati etc. but Statham ain't no Sub-Mariner. I could very much see him *** a Judge Dredd. Butif you're talking more mainstream comic icons...

I'd say he could .. uhm, yeah actually I don't really know haha. Maybe if he had more hair and they could dye it white, Cable from X-men. But he isn't all that mainstream. ::shrug::

Jan 25 - 07:45 AM

Jack le Critic

Jack Blanc

You know that's not such a bad idea!

Feb 1 - 09:28 PM

NewberL337

Sean Courchesne

Jan 25 - 07:45 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

holy sh3t...NEWBER, you're the only other person i've ever seen/heard mutter the word "RIDONKULOUS". somebody...sniff sniff...as stupid...sniff sniff...as me in this world...sniff sniff

as long as Trans 3 is closer to the first one than the sequel...it should be sweet. was there REALLY any difference between Transporter 2 and Crank? not really. but i really couldn't careless, how many ENTERTAINING action stars do we have left? Diesel?? for some reason he's off doing kids movies, along with the Rock. i had high hopes for Gerard Butler but i died a little inside when he followed up the awesome 300 for...URGH, PS I'm Haunting You. you don't have that Arnold, Stallone type of guy anymore. and even in the kick2ss actor category...Chan is aging, and Jet Li isn't a guy who can CARRY an american movie. Stathom still entertains no matter what...

i don't care the script(comic book or not) i always wanted to see him and Vinnie Jones do battle. VJ was Juggernaut in X3. just a kick2ss fight scene between the two.

Jan 25 - 09:33 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

"PS I'm Haunting You" lol. good one. I was thinking the same thing, man. He follows up 300 with that! What?!?
I agree that he'd make a good Submariner. Tundra, I too think he'd make a good Iron Fist. But I don't have a problem with Ray Park either.

Jan 25 - 11:45 AM

KISSman

Tommy D

"The Crow" needs to be left untouched. It was what it was in part to Brandon Lee. You can't re-create that. You can slap makeup on other people, but it won't work the same way. Brandon Lee IS the crow.

As for Crank 2 or Transporter 3... do we really need this???

Maybe it's me, but I'd don't understand the lure of Jason Statham.

Jan 25 - 10:02 AM

southwick

jonathan edwards

How in the world do you make a Crank 2?

Jan 25 - 10:26 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

The Crank film is completely overrated and not worthy of re-watching, let alone of a sequel. Jason Statham deserves better. I could see him as the Sub-Mariner, that would be cool. YOu need an intimidating presence to pull off that character, someone who could go toe to toe w/ the Hulk or the entire Fantastic Four. But at the same time, he has to appear to be not all bad and actually be a kind of heroic character. I think Statham would fit that bill. Introduce him in Incredible Hulk 2, with the MOle Man. That would kick *ss.

Jan 25 - 11:24 AM

thereign

lance berry

In order to "do any of them(comic book movies) justice", one needs to be able to ACT, at least at the bare minimum level. Statham is just some dude who got lucky being cast in action roles. The Sub-Mariner, for all his flaws, speaks in very regal tones, almost Shakespearean at times. I can't picture Statham being able to say any of Namor's lines, especially "Imperius Rex!" without laughing myself into a stupor. 'Nuff said!

Jan 25 - 11:30 AM

Tyler Hanley

Tyler Hanley

Statham should be the first name considered if an "Iron Fist" film ever gets produced.

Jan 25 - 11:36 AM

VenomRitual

John B

whoh nice call.

he would fit the part. but i can't wait for crank 3 and transporter 3. i want action!

Jan 25 - 03:53 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Jan 25 - 11:51 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 25 - 11:45 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Oh, by "he" I meant Stantham of course. Leave Crow alone though. That film, short of a better word, was perfect.

Jan 25 - 11:49 AM

Kyokushin

Chev Chelios

Comic books suck

Jan 25 - 12:16 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Ok??

Jan 25 - 11:52 PM

Herberbaly

Greg White

I think Statham is a pretty good bad *** for your typical action fare. He knows what he is capable of, and generally seems to play to his level; you'll never see him in a high-brow drama or anything like that. Crank 2 ought to kick ***; I loved the first one simply because it was so offensive and didn't pull any punches. It is nice to see something politically incorrect with BLACK humor and immoral characters every once in a while. Transporter 3 could be all right as well, as long as they keep the plot to an absolute minimum...

However, remaking The Crow is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. For starters, it is Brandon Lee through and through. That film simply couldn't have been as powerful as it was if it weren't for his presence. Also, I find it slightly disturbing that they would even want to remake a movie that was surrounded with tragedy. The film is great, but one could argue that one of the main reasons it is so recognized is because of Lee's death; remaking this would simply ruin some of the legend of this film. Also, this movie is only 14 years old! Filmmaking hasn't evolved enough in that time, and the only people willing to tackel a project such as this would surely **** it up beyond repair. With my luck, they would probably just get the dip**** who directed the most recent DTV Crow sequel starring Edward Furlong to helm the remake. Please, leave this movie the **** alone.

Jan 25 - 01:45 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

Iron Fist, and that's it. I'd prefer a Daredevil with legit acting chops, and Sub Mariner is a bad fit.

Jan 25 - 02:26 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Hey, I say redonkulous all the time. Don't put that guy on a pedistal or anything :)

Anyway, I like Statham, loved "Crank" for what it was and what it only was intended to be and think "The Bank Job" looks great in a similar, simple, straight-ahead, action and thrills flick vein. He has made some clunkers though ("War" was a snore and this "In the Name of the King" thing... WTF was he thinking?!), so if he must do "Crank2" and "Transporter 3" to keep himself and fans happy, so be it. I'm not sure we need either, but I'll bite (if they look any good that is; heck, I'm curious just to see how they can pull the "Crank" sequel off). The big, dumb, loud, over the top action is fun and I need those every once in a while ("Shoot 'Em Up" fits the bill nicely in this category beyond just Statham's "Crank"), but I would like to see him become more than just that type of actor. He's got it in him, and doing things like "War" and "...King" only further pigeonhole him. "Crank" and "The Transporter" sequels might not help, but at least those are franchise he is revisiting for a legitimate reason, but just doing more generic action films in between those is not any way to branch out. Hopefully "The Bank Job" will be a bit more high-brow and put him in the position to act a bit around all the action. Maybe then he can prove to the studios he can do both and he'll get some meatier roles.

And hey, wasn't he supposed to be doing the "Death Race 2000" remake? I love that POS! Again, not the best career choice to get him above and beyond these pure-blooded action flicks, but if he must, I'll take him in such roles any day.

Jan 25 - 03:20 PM

VenomRitual

John B

whoh nice call.

Jan 25 - 03:53 PM

vernismaximus

Russ Yoder

Transporter 2 was absolutely horrible. Do we really need a part 3? Crank was ok, but didn't he die at the end?

Jan 25 - 04:22 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Jan 25 - 11:51 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Ok??

Jan 25 - 11:52 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies