Gabriel Reviews

May 24, 2008
An intriguing plot with a dark haunting vision of the battle between heaven and hell.
½ January 3, 2015
Watchable, with great CGI, but not entirely well scripted. Although he's not overwhelmingly good, Andy Whitfield is good enough to make one wonder what might have been had he been given more time on earth.
April 22, 2008
Andy Whitfield has a strong screen presence but that in itself isn't enough to save this murky dull illogical mess of a movie.
September 25, 2009
when i think of angels, i rarely think of them having to use guns. Gabriel is a bit of a confused film, trying to encapsulate the dark, angsty sort of feel which many action films sport today and focus on the main character, the angel Gabriel. If the creators were truly serious about this, we would see no pulled punches or flimsy suggestions of violence and if it was better funded there would be more effects than using contact lenses, but we cant blame them for that. even though this film has some pretty cool action sequences and a good concept, Gabriel himself is a little one-dimensional and Sammael is not quite scary enough, but the twist is alright. the other arcs are a bit wussy but overall it's a pretty good film.

Defining Scene:
When Gabriel cracks the shits and goes rampaging. angels gone bad is so very very good.
October 2, 2008
Movie of good angels vs fallen angels fighting it out on earth. The idea of the story is OK, but I disliked the inconsistencies. For instance six bullets don't even knock Michael over yet fist fighting knocks him down. I also didn't understand the why of the last scene. Although I only give it 3/5, I would watch it again.
½ July 30, 2008
A real missed opportunity, I was hoping for much more after seeing the trailer. The idea is good but the end result is not. It trys too hard to be a mix of the Matrix and Sin city, but the fights look strange and the CGI is over used. Watch it on TV if you have to but don't pay to see this.
July 23, 2008
At first glance this film looks like a good watch and even the trailers do their job by making this look decent. Unfortunately, the inexperience of the director and the low budget bring this movie down. Nice attempt though.The story is the strongest element of this film. At a high level it is 7 archangels against 7 demons in Purgatory. A great concept for a sci-fi film. It's too bad that the films execution of this story falls flat. Everything else regarding this movie also falls short of expectation.This movie runs at almost 2 hours and the action is held to a minimum. That means this film is a slow crawl. Long scenes of mediocre dialogue and only short bursts of action make this film boring at times. The beginning of the film does a nice job at laying out the plot, which does sound interesting as I mentioned earlier, but once the movie is underway you don't get what you expect.The action sequences are shot uniquely, which I'll give some praise for, but in the end, they are nothing but a forgotten memory. So are the rest of the archangels because only one of them, Gabriel, gets in on the action. I don't want to spoil anything here, but this movie is 1 on 7. It is truly a disappointment. The ending lacks action as well. There is just way too much talking.The acting is OK at best. The lead, Andy Whitfield, is a decent Gabriel, but the rest of the cast is forgettable. It's not that the acting is horrible, although it isn't award winning, but more the fact that their characters don't do much.This film is like a low-budget, less entertaining Constantine. I guess that means to watch that instead of this.
½ March 30, 2008
It's like The Prophecy, but this action-thriller of the purgatory between heaven and hell is fantastic in cool special and visual effects and marvelous production design on the scene views like The Matrix and The Crow. Aussie filmmaker Shane Abbess does a marvellous job in this first low-budget film, especially the performance from newcomer Andy Whitfield as the last of the Arc Angels.
½ February 13, 2008
While it's somewhat derivative it is highly entertaining nontheless.
I do have some minor issues with the ending though.
½ May 10, 2010
A little confusing, but this was still a good movie. It starts out a little slow, but it quickly picks up with quite a few action scenes. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be!
½ February 14, 2008
This has been done so much better in the past but it is still quite a good watch. Could have done better though.
December 9, 2007
Interesting movie. Good story plot. Not bad at all.
½ May 2, 2008
WOW! This movie had so many great messages and such an interesting and gripping plot, I just love it. It is easy to be bad, but it is very hard to be kind and righteous.
The action wasn't anything to spit at either. It was truly unique and even Matrix-like at some parts. But there was not as much of it as I hoped there would be.
The main character Gabriel was portrayed really well and in fact I could feel everything what he felt throughout the whole movie. A true hero!
And yet again, the twist at the end and overall the ending was very powerful (if you listen to what they're saying of course).
I would highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoyed light vs dark type movies, such as Night Watch.
March 6, 2010
The trailer looked so good but I only lasted about 20min before I gave up watching it. It wasnt all bad but there were a few things that brought all the other good things down with them.
½ September 30, 2009
Gabriel is about an arc angel fell from Heaven onto Earth. Before him, a few other arc's have fallen. All have succumbed to the evils of the world, with the majority taken rule over it. The rest have gone into hiding and used fear to over power them. Gabriel (Andy Whitfield) brings new hope and reminds them of the reason why they are there. What he doesn't know is that when he uses his power of healing, it depletes, also making him a target for the other arc's. I liked the general idea of the plot. Gabriel is filmed in a dark setting similiar to The Crow and Dark City. It somewhat manages to steal a few ideas off of The Crow actually. It's a breath of fresh air in the battle of "Heaven and Hell" films that are being dished out as of late, though.
½ October 26, 2008
amazing movie a very good indie film in my opinion even if you arent religious it is a movie i definately recomend everyone to see
½ October 13, 2008
Far from grace and one angel is left - Gabriel. Only his warrior prowess and determined heart rivals that of the mighty archangel Sammael. For the souls lost in purgatory from both the forces of the "light" and "dark." But who will win in this ultimate battle; good, evil, or perhaps no one at all? Andy Whitfield, Dwaine Stevenson, Erika Heynatz, Samantha Noble and Jack Campbell star in this low budget Australian film but not so low on a dark storyline, depth or even though how brief, the fight scenes. Gabriel is well worth taking a second look at. Do try and keep an open mind, its not your "average" heaven VS hell, angels waring over souls run of the mill film.
July 1, 2008
This is a low profile movie for a reason -- it isn't very good. I knew it wasn't going to be any good, so I don't know why I decided to rent it in the first place!
May 27, 2008
A very dark movie about the struggle between light and dark. Very Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker, but with darker twists they wouldn't add for their Christian audiences. An absolutely amazing movie that must be seen to be believed. Amazing cinematography and acting and storyline.
May 17, 2008
A very dark and beautiful story of a battle between heaven and hell. Great action. Andy Whitfield totally hot and great performance.