Ghost Town Reviews

CloudStrife84
September 21, 2008
When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought it seemed like a quaint and interesting story. I've always had an undying fascination for things like ghosts and life after death (whether it be a comedy or otherwise) which I why I reckoned this to be a pretty safe bet. All I got, however, was an overly sentimental, unfunny snoozefest of a movie, whose only real success was in destroying a perfectly good plot idea. That being said, I don't think I'll be as swift to ignore the reviews the next time around, because had I taken note of the general opinion of this film, I might have avoided wasting nearly two hours of my life. Time that could have been spent watching something way more enjoyable, like (for instance) Peter Jackson's The Frighteners, which has some similarities to this film, except doesn't suck.
December 13, 2008
Can't help get rumblings of 'Ghost' in places here, especially near the end when Gervais is trying to win over the girl...but with a lighter twist. Again its an average film that is fine yet lacking any real bite. I was really hoping for some Gervais gold but it really isn't as funny as it could have been. There are some nice lines but it was screaming for more laughs, I soooo wanted to like it more but its a bit dull really.
Not a bad film, just very plain n average, much like the effects and acting, all kinda nice but abit boring, shame.
February 8, 2009
My predicted rating: 2.5

I feel this film exceeded my expectations, just because I had been given the impression that it was a complete flop. It's easy watching, with predictability in a "Ghost" meets "Bruce Almighty" type of way.
½ September 12, 2011
seem to be in the very small minority of people that can't stand Ricky Gervais and find him completely unfunny. I don't like his comedy style and the few things he's written that I have found funny, have ultimately been spoilt by the way he has delivered them. It's no surprise then that I didn't really enjoy this film, however, it is surprising that I also didn't hate it.
garyX
November 1, 2008
An obnoxious and misanthropic dentist dies on the operating table and when he is revived finds he can communicate with the dead. Ghost Town is most definitely the Ricky Gervais show, which is no bad thing. Although it's got all the hallmarks of the rom com - the TV sitcom montage acoustic guitar soundtrack, the inevitable love interest and the over reliance on schmaltz to resolve the story - but it also is full of Gervais' trademark wit and one liners that will be familiar to anyone who has seen The Office, and especially Extras. The result is a bit like a cross between The Sixth Sense and Groundhog day; it's very easy to imagine Bill Murray in the part of Dr. Pincus and fans of his will not be disappointed. Unfortunately the last twenty minutes is the usual sappy life message crap and just like in Groundhog Day, it's a lot funnier when our hero is being a dick. But when it's funny, it's laugh out loud FUNNY.
July 19, 2011
Great direction and lead performances make an otherwise generic romantic comedy with an absurd premise an enjoyable ride.

In the wrong hands this would've been a forgettable disaster. Something about the protagonist's characterization as a damaged antisocial really resonates with the direction and Gervais's style.

Definitely less accessible than your everyday "All-American" romedy but that's what makes the subtle humor so much better to appreciate. It's smart and honest.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Ricky Gervais at his best, as usual.
3niR
½ January 31, 2011
This was a lot better than I expected. It's funny. Love Ricky Gervais's accent and his acting.
December 12, 2010
Movie was fine. Pros: Lets you pull for the underdog. Just like a kids story, everyone (more or less) lives happily ever after. The actors were great - well suited to their roles. Cons: 2 1/2 hours is too long for a non-epic type of movie. In the movie, the ghosts either bother Dr. Pincus to the extreme or totally leave him alone - depending on whether the movie needs them around or not. That kind of lousy logic always frustrates me.
August 12, 2010
Surprised by this one! Finally, can say I enjoyed something involving Ricky Gervais.
July 29, 2010
a really great and funny comedy. B+
flixsterman
January 5, 2009
"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while." -Albert Einstein

Nice little comedic vehicle for Ricky Gervais and Greg Kinnear. Mildly funny but forgettable.
RCCLBC
½ January 22, 2010
Sure this is a pretty solid cast all the way around, but I can honestly say that without RIcky Gervais at the helm as Dr. Pincus...this would have been just another "Rom-Com".

Very few people can (effectively) portray characters that are somehow endearing to spite all of thier horrid personality traits and complete lack of people skills. One only need watch Gervais master his craft in the (original) BBC series The Office, to know what I mean.

The story here isn't exactly ground breaking, but it is fun and as I mentioned it has a great supporting cast to add a bit of sustenance to a sometimes trite story.

It also served to reminded me of how much I enjoy Tea Leoni and it was a nice surprise to see to TV Favorites: Kristen Wiig (SNL) and Aasif Mandvi (The Daily Show) in HILARIOUS supporting roles.
½ November 18, 2009
I really liked that this was a drama with comedy thrown in rather than a comedy trying to mix in drama to seem important. Ricky Gervais was a perfect choice for a character who hates everyone because even though he's an asshole, he's lovable. I feel that it was a little cliched though and it really suffered from unoriginality.
maxthesax
August 3, 2009
as with most comedies, you have to accept some of the broad strokes (why that is... well, that's another topic for another time).

There are some serious holes here - things that don't really make sense (matters of convenience to move the plot along), and, again, as with most comedies, the splatter gun effect is at work (ie. you throw enough stuff at a wall and some is bound to stick).

That being said, Ricky Gervais is, as usual, extremely funny and almost carries this film by himself (or in spite of himself?).

There are some serious laughs to be held (in that oh, so British way), and some very poignant scenes when the ghosts are released from their purgatory (a very nice touch indeed) - but in between, way too much fumbling and things that either fall flat or don't ring true. The ending, especially, is really weak (from the time that Gervais is hit by a bus until the end of the film).

A truly lame excuse was used to keep Tia away from the convalescing Gervais (not a blood relative, and the hospital has rules, you know!). sigh.

You can tell that good production values were used here - so it had the potential to be so much better, but in the end I can only give it a whisftul smile as I think of how much better it could have been.

(I usually dislike it when a film uses current songs to enforce the emotions on the screen, but I do have to admit that using the Beatles "I'm Looking Through You" was a wonderful choice to introduce the newly dead Kinnear.)
deano
½ July 6, 2009
This romantic-comedy film is alike crossing over between As Good As It Gets and TV's The Ghost Whisperer. There's lots of fun to be had here, and perhaps the odd tear, too - and that's the tooth! Writer-director David Koepp orchestrates the deceptions and reversals, romance and redemption elegantly, pulling off the trick of making the familiar and inevitable feel fresh and unexpected. It's a black-tinged fantasy anchored by that most uncanny of all Hollywood apparitions - genuine emotion - and Ricky Gervais's unique combination of the snide and sympathetic. Tea Leoni's kooky vulnerability and Greg Kinnear's caddishness round out what is a gem.
½ July 2, 2009
Geez, does Greg Kinnear suck, or what? How the hell does he keep getting work? Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. The premise here is beautiful. Survive a near death experience, and all of a sudden you're eligible for communication with the dead who have unfinished business here on earth. You become the liaison, finishing what needs to be finished in order for the dead to rest easily. Ah yes, it is a great premise, but this movie spends too little time exploring it. Mostly what we have is Ricky Gervais in a verbal sparring match with Kinnear. Did I say "match"? I use the term way too loosely. Kinnear couldn't deliver a pizza from the pan to his mouth, let alone any lines that demonstrate anything beyond rote memorization and over-practiced inappropriate gestures. Man he sucks hard. If only the powers that be had spent more time on Gervais and Tia Leone. The heart of the story missed -- a highly commercialized Hollywood tradition.
movieguru12
June 2, 2009
Okay movie. Funny at times boring and tiring at others.
MissMorganLeee
January 3, 2009
accually quite good! British actor in my opinion are better comedic actors than half of americas! i just love them (monty phython is my favortie!)
gor41
½ September 16, 2008
Disappointing hollywood debut for Gervais with his improv sitting uneasily with the director's script and the american cast. Leoni looks bewildered and Kinnear does his best but it just doesn't gel.