Life is a Bed of Roses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life is a Bed of Roses Reviews

½ February 20, 2010
Im beginning to think that while Godard is the more historically important film maker, he was always been foremost a "critic", whose main aim was to create webs of references and change our ways of veiwing cinema as an art, andd though I have allot of respect and admiration for his work and the role of criticism in general, the poetry, politcs, and philosophy his characters often talk about second-hand is fully embodied in the films of Alian Resnais, who managed to absob Godard's self-awarness, but also to transcend it. Godard was always taking notes, while Resnais was writing essays(or so Ive come to feel of late).

This is a strange, but brilliant multi-storied, pseudo-musical, about the role of fantasy and imagination. A wealthy Utopian group in the early 1900's builds an elaborate castle called "The City Of Happiness", where they can try to be "reborn" through a series of esoteric rituals like Jodorwosky's "Holy Mountain", while years later when the structure has become a boarding school a group of educators have a conference on the role of imagiantion in education. Several children who have remained at the school during the conference run around and imagine a world of knights and dragons and monsters. The three stories are edited together sublimely bouncing and contrasting their themes of off one another, in funny, insightful, and emotionally engaging ways.
January 11, 2009
So I thought I Want to Go Home was just an aberration for Resnais, but unfortunately I was wrong. This is every bit as over the top, but at least here the cartoon-like characterizations fit better into the children's fairytale-musical context. The humor works pretty well at first but it eventually gets tiresome and plain silly. The three parallel narratives are well juxtaposed together and thematically consistent. In the end the whole farcical arguing and fighting and seducing bullshit didn't do anything for me.
March 9, 2011
good inter-connecting storylines
January 30, 2011
fiquei traumatizada.
½ April 11, 2010
A tad exaggerated in the hands of Resais but I understand what he is trying to give credit to. Lovely to watch if slightly over done.
½ February 20, 2010

January 11, 2009
June 2, 2008
Pseudo-musical de trasfondo filos├│fico. Demasido friki hasta para mi.
April 18, 2008
Hard to understand but engaging.
Renais is the most creative director in the history of cinema.
March 4, 2008
Really a disappointment. The best thing about this film is the opportunity to see Sabine Azema again. I think the fault is with the script. It did not really need the sub-plot beginning in the period before World War I (War of 1914-1918). The singing in the film seemed to be out of place.
June 23, 2007
There's good Resnais, and then there's bad Resnais. I'll let you guess which category this failed experiment in pseudo-musical tri-narrative artifice falls. Alas, the fault lies entirely with the director, as the script (with some trimming) showed promise, the actors were wonderful, and the set design was grand, in a Brechtian sort of way. But this is the worst of all failures-a bad movie that should've been a masterpiece. (The one note of interest is that it seems to me that its philosophy directly contradicts Resnais's earlier Mon Oncle d'Amerique.)