RT on DVD: New South Park, The Wire, and an Exclusive Look at Smart People,

Summary

This week we bring you an exclusive look from the DVD release of Smart People, starring Dennis Quaid and Ellen Page as a father and daughter whose intellect outweighs their social graces; imagine a higher-strung Juno obsessed with high test scores instead of hamburger phones. Also check out what's new on DVD: Stephen Chow's CJ7, new seasons of South Park, The Wire, and Prison Break, and the ickiest father-daughter romance of the week, starring David Duchovny and Juno sidekick Olivia Thirlby. Back to Article

Comments

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

"If the kids of South Park aged in real time, Cartman would be

elephant-walking his way through freshman orientation and hazing Kyle, Stan,

and Kenny in college".. LOL, Jenny ;) Can't wait to pick up season eleven.

Hope Matt & Trey keep on truckin making one the funniest shows ever! Also,

I'm escatic for the Wire's 5th season release; not better than the Sopranos

but its awfully close though ;)Great review of the fresh produce Jen Yamato:)

Aug 11 - 06:13 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Ill get SOUTH PARK SEASON 11. Im gonna wait til a box set of The Wire is released, and yes it is better then The Sopranos. I already have Smart People coming in the mail from Netflix tomorrow. Maybe I will rent CJ7 sometime, I loved Kung Fu Hustle. Man does The Secret sound bad lol, JEN is it a comedy or a serious movie, i gotta know...Why isnt there any DVD news this week?

Aug 11 - 06:16 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Thanks, Dougie! Glad elephant walk made it through the editing process. :)

Jokerboy - just tweaking the formula, and some weeks there's not really any news. I take it you like the DVD news, though?

The Secret: The must-see DVD of the week.

Aug 11 - 07:12 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Ya gotta love dvd news! LOL I think it might pass on renting The Secret but thanks though.

Aug 11 - 07:55 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Ya gotta love dvd news! LOL I think it might pass on renting The Secret but thanks though.

Aug 11 - 07:55 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

"Critics were split, which means checking it out on DVD could be a smart move (pun intended)."

Do critics really have any credibility these days? Please!

Aug 11 - 09:46 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Actually, wordweaver, I do think that when a Tomatometer is around 50% it's much more a love it or hate it movie than a really bad or a really good movie. It makes sense, right? 50% means the critics just can't agree, whereas a really high or really low Tmeter means more that a majority of critics thought one way or the other. So yeah, Smart People is a good rental.

Aug 11 - 09:49 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yep thars the exact term of mixed.

Aug 11 - 10:50 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Actually, wordweaver, I do think that when a Tomatometer is around 50% it's much more a love it or hate it movie than a really bad or a really good movie. It makes sense, right? 50% means the critics just can't agree, whereas a really high or really low Tmeter means more that a majority of critics thought one way or the other. So yeah, Smart People is a good rental.

Aug 11 - 09:49 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yep thars the exact term of mixed.

Aug 11 - 10:50 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yep thars the exact term of mixed.

Aug 11 - 10:50 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

Ithought Smart people was a great movie so I really don't care if the critics were divided on it. These are the same critics who rated movies like Journey to the center of the earth ( with Brendan Fraser) and Dreamgirls as "fresh". I think I'll pass.

Aug 12 - 02:16 AM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

PHEW! I was worried that the film "The Secret" was that BS movie about the "Law of Attraction". I hate scientifically-unsound films like that and "What the Bleep Do We Know?"

I was hoping David Duchovny wasn't a moron, and lucky for us, he isn't! Although the trailer for this film is...odd...I suppose I should say. But eh, it's Duchovny. It'll be good.

As far as "Smart People", I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Ellen Page is extremely overrated, and watching her attempt to act is stomach-churning. So, no "Smart People" for me, thanks.

Aug 12 - 06:34 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Well, Journey 3D is only barely Fresh at 61 percent...my point is, nuances in the Tomatometer can be read depending on the rating. A 50% movie isn't 50% good, it can be either really good or really bad.

Aug 12 - 09:38 AM

vitajex

Mike M

Of course, a 50% movie might not be really good or really bad, hence the middling rating.

I'd rather see a movie that 20% of all viewers LOVED while the rest hated, than one that 80% of all viewers thought was "meh" and the other 20% thought was "less than 'meh'".

It's Hollywood trying to reach the lowest common denominator. Each summer, they crank out movies that NO ONE will love, but lots of people will tolerate while munching Whoppers and enjoying the air-conditioning.

Aug 12 - 12:05 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think this was probably the wrong summer to make that last comment and wouldn't be surprised if all the people who loved TDK, Ironman and Pineapple express didn't eat you alive for it. I think this summer Hollywood has put out more than it's share of movies that are love-worthy. Last summer...not so much.

Aug 13 - 12:47 AM

vitajex

Mike M

Of course, a 50% movie might not be really good or really bad, hence the middling rating.

I'd rather see a movie that 20% of all viewers LOVED while the rest hated, than one that 80% of all viewers thought was "meh" and the other 20% thought was "less than 'meh'".

It's Hollywood trying to reach the lowest common denominator. Each summer, they crank out movies that NO ONE will love, but lots of people will tolerate while munching Whoppers and enjoying the air-conditioning.

Aug 12 - 12:05 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think this was probably the wrong summer to make that last comment and wouldn't be surprised if all the people who loved TDK, Ironman and Pineapple express didn't eat you alive for it. I think this summer Hollywood has put out more than it's share of movies that are love-worthy. Last summer...not so much.

Aug 13 - 12:47 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I just watched Smart People I thought it was pretty good.

Aug 12 - 02:10 PM

bijibadness

Biji Badness

the bit about juno and that lame hamburger phone tragically made me remember that it was one of my least favourite movies ever made.. i think that stripper who wrote it is total poison

Aug 12 - 05:12 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I agree, vitajex. I find some 50 percent movies to be way more interesting than 80 percenters. I liked Speed Racer way more than Indy 4 (which sucked big time).

Aug 12 - 06:19 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think this was probably the wrong summer to make that last comment and wouldn't be surprised if all the people who loved TDK, Ironman and Pineapple express didn't eat you alive for it. I think this summer Hollywood has put out more than it's share of movies that are love-worthy. Last summer...not so much.

Aug 13 - 12:47 AM

Pleasuretown

Nic Markham

This summer deffinatly had more quality than last year. The Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Wall-E, Cloverfield, Wanted. I know most of those are comic-book adaptations, but they're some of the best comic adaptations. Except maybe The Incredible Hulk, but i liked 2008's way more than '03.

Last year we had?
Spiderman 3
Pirates 3
Shrek 3
Transformers (Enjoyable, but not amazing.)
Rush Hour 3 (Equivellent of Mummy 3, except the Mummy's worse.)

That said, I'm considering renting Smart People.

Aug 13 - 07:16 AM

Pleasuretown

Nic Markham

I know cloverfield isn't a summer flick, but i thought it was good. SO i added it.

Aug 13 - 07:17 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

To be honest, I was more excited about this week's new TV on DVD releases than the films new to DVD. South Park Season 11 is about to be played in heavy rotation in my player.

Aug 14 - 12:26 AM

What's Hot On RT

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile