Auf der Anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven) (On the Other Side) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Auf der Anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven) (On the Other Side) Reviews

January 1, 2008
Gorgeously shot tale with sumptuous locations and a pleasing symmetry to the narrative. A variety of atypical actors and scenarios give it a real freshness.
June 15, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]Starting with a brief prelude at a gas station in Turkey, "The Edge of Heaven" is an exquisite movie that unfolds in three overlapping sections - Yeter's Death, Lotte's Death and The Edge of Heaven.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Yeter(Nursel Kose) is a prostitute from Turkey making her living in the red light district of Bremen where she meets a fellow Turk, Ali(Tuncel Kurtiz), who hires her out for a half hour. Ali is a widower and pensioner whose son, Nejat(Baki Davrak), is a professor at the university. Feeling lonely, Ali offers Yeter a more permanent arrangement which she accepts after being threatened by two of her fellow countrymen on the street.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Lotte(Patrycia Ziolkowska) is a university student who runs into an activist, Gul(Nurgul Yesilcay), from Turkey who is in the country illegally after most of her group were arrested by the police after a protest. At first, Lotte feeds her new friend, then shelters her, much to the dismary of her mother(Hanna Schygulla).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Written and directed by Fatih Akin, "The Edge of Heaven" is a thoughtful examination of two countries whose governments may be very different(The first two sections start with a Communist protest in each country. Germany's is peaceful. Turkey's is not.) but whose peoples are remarkably similar, giving great hope for the future, even if there is heartbreak in the present. As Turkey seeks to become a member of the European Union, the characters' perpetual movement causes the boundaries to blur which is expressed in the Turks who threaten Yeter in Germany and the German bookstore in Istanbul. [/font]
½ June 23, 2008
Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! One of the highlights for me of last year's Film Festival. Relationships...the ones we choose and the ones we fall into.
½ May 11, 2013
A number of people started comparing The Edge of Heaven to Babel/Crash and other vertebrate type storylines alike. And even though there is a structural resemblance, the director Akin, a prodigy of immigration himself, makes a movie oozing nostalgia for home; in one thread home is the love of one's life, in another it is the country of origin, in the other one the bosom of a woman, and in another belonging to a cause. Notable mention should be made to the exceptional editing which invariably adds irony and suspense.
June 4, 2009
There are three very good stories to tell here, but the problem is they each deserved their own movie because as it is none of them feel fully realized; the characters aren't so much developed as they just change according to what the plot needs. Nevertheless, it becomes more and more interesting as it goes along.
September 26, 2008
Brilliant, a masterpiece! One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Fatih Akin creates a tour de force Alejandro González Iñárritu style. Superior to "Crash" and "Babel", other films in this non-linear genre, "Edge of Heaven" doesn't use the non-linearity as a vehicle, but rather fits into it like a glove. This film has joined good company, along with "Amores Perros" and "21 Grams" for setting the standard for this style of film-making. The difference between this film and "Amores Perros" is that despite's "Amores Perros" more focused theme, "Edge of Heaven" flows more smoothly and is has a more multi-faceted set of themes. I can't say enough good things about this movie, other than it's as brilliant of a film as they come.
½ August 30, 2008
A beautiful film about the overlapping lives of six people. Very thought provoking, with an excellent ensemble cast. After watching this I'm even more eager to watch Akin's Head-On.
½ September 22, 2007
Quiet, subtle and emotional narration about family, death, radicalization and Turkish identity in Germany, Turkey and Europe. Slowly unfolds and then steadily increases in emotional impact, another excellent film by Fatih Akin. His use of time lines to convey the feeling of coincidence and fate is excellent, the acting and wonderfully simple dialogue (mostly in Turkish and English) is perfect.
September 16, 2009
I really liked this movie as I watched it, but I just have this sense that it's not going to stick with me beyond today, so my overall opinion of it may go down over time. It's a good story with interesting characters, though, and I especially liked how they handled the ending. I'm just not sure how much it stands out in comparison to other dramas. Good watch, though.
December 1, 2009
Amazing ! There are lots of movies brings related lives together but the stunning thing about this movie is related lives cant connect. And while people focusing on their ideals they are neglecting loved ones. This movie is a punch to stomach. I warned you!
April 16, 2011
Another brilliant movie by Fatih Akin. An ensemble movie is not easy to make so that it's actually watchable, and this director achieves perfection telling 3 intertwining stories.
May 19, 2010
A thoughtful, sad movie about the current problems of diaspora and the importance of family. I don't think there is a day where we don't read about one country or another dealing with refuges. In this movie it is the Turkish-Kurd German interactions.
½ March 30, 2010
This movie is an interesting one. I like it for the fact that it's a foreign film and there is a lesbian love story that deals with real issues. Plus there are twists in the movie that keep you engaged.
½ September 14, 2009
A thought provoking and emotional drama. Six lives are intertwinned in a remarkable tale of love, lose, and tragedy.
April 26, 2009
I feel like whenever I watch a foreign film I learn more in 2 hours than I learned in actual history courses. The Edge of Heaven is what Babel tried really hard to be (although I really liked Babel...may have loved it...don't remember) except Heaven is less pretentious and not at all concerned with a clever twist or pushing an explanation. In fact, there are major plot points of this movie that are never explained but it doesn't matter. Generational gaps, poverty vs. wealth, government power...there are 6 or so characters all interwoven whose lives are greatly affected by each other. They're not perfect, but you'll still like them.
½ January 24, 2009
Six characters are drawn together by circumstances- an old man and a prostitue forging a partnership, a young scholor reconcling his past, two young women falling in love, and a mother putting the shattered pieces of her life back together. The Edge of Heaven flirts with close-to-the-vest perceptions of culture, sexuality, and identity. Hanna Schygulla, delivers a by turns serene and shattering performance as a mother struggling with loss, conscience and the first glimmers of unexpected connection. Though the plotting is unconventional, it in no way ever begs audience indulgence or tests a viewer's patience. The contingencies and coincidences that animate their lives would be the stuff of outlandish contrivance were it not for the film's effortless, unforced style. The temptation with a movie like this is to talk too much about plot, if only as a way of identifying the relationships between the various characters. But if you discover those relationships as the movie unfolds, you'll have a more rewarding experience of the film.
½ July 7, 2008
If you liked Babel, you will enjoy this international structuring, with much space for mindfulness and humanity.
September 25, 2015
I don't know what I'm missing. It was simply okay.