• R, 1 hr. 24 min.

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Chapter 27 Reviews

Coxxie M

September 4, 2009
Lindsay plays her future self in a movie about some fuck with a gun and sideburns and he thinks hes Holden bla bla bla "John Lennon, sign my baseball cap, please!" that fucker didn't sign it... bla back to the crust hotel room cigarettes big sweaty gut, prostitute, "please please just be quiet while we make sex, i like the sound of my own breathing, why should that freak you out, please dont go!" walks back to Lennon's apartment, waits for nine hours, "Hey Lennon!.... shoulda signed my rubber duckie, you fuck-hole!" BLAMMO! great, great scathing wit, soaked in satirical pleasure that will make your irony bone crackle!
Lady D

June 27, 2007
Not exactly what I expected of this film, of course it represents the facts along with some assumptions no doubt, of the events leading up to the assassination of John Lennon and Jared Leto did play a very visually transformed character, along with (I'm sure) a very good interpretation of the man who became famous of the crime, however...this film was like watching paint dry, I am a Lennon fan (hence my original interest in the film)but it's very dull and so is the character and his tedious ramblings. The only Saving Grace is that the film length is quite short for a full length feature.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
I was really impressed with Jared Leto's performance. He played the character so well that I didn't even think it was him at any point, he was Mark David Chapman. The movie itself is very bizarre and fits the character perfectly. There was a great sense of insanity throughout the film.
cosmo313
cosmo313

November 10, 2009
It could have had a bit more substance or provided a bit more concrete reasons WHY MDC did what he did, but other than that, this is a really interesting and unnerving film, highlighted by a haunting performance by Jared Leto. She's only got a small part, buy Lindsay Lohan ialso does a pretty good job, as does Judah Friedlander. It's worth watching at least once.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

July 8, 2009
Chapter 27 had the potential to be a good movie but it got lost along the way. The movie seemed to be in the shadow of the fact that Jared Leto turned into a porker for the role and tried to act as weird as possible. Oh! And it's ripping off and trying to be Taxi Driver way too much. Leto was okay even if he was pandering to the Academy. Lindsay Lohan wasn't bad and actually kind of cute. The strangest thing about this movie for me is the fact that the actor who briefly played John Lennon was named Mark Chapman. When Chapter 27 ends you'll probably ask yourself if that's it, but all you've got to lose is about 90 minutes.
Michael G

October 15, 2008
Fernando Rafael Q

September 1, 2008
This movie felt not like an actual film, but as a rehearsal. It's like Jared Leto said "Let's shoot this thing...I'm ready" and the director goes "It's already done". Definitely a weird picture that makes you feel you're watching an unfinished copy. Not a very good job by the director or the writers. Lindsay Lohan was on screen far too little to judge her, and I think her appearance in the movie was there just to fulfill a personal wish of the director, or for CHAPTER 27 to gain notoriety. The highlight of the movie is an above average performance by its average leading man, Jared Leto.
SC007
SC007

November 23, 2008
The best thing about this film is Jared Leto's haunting and disturbing performance as Mark David Chapman. He should have got an oscar nomination for his performance. Even Lindsay Lohan was good in a supporting role. The film itself is uneasy and disjointed, which I believe is cause the filmmaker was trying to get the audience in the mind of Chapman. However, he should have gotten rid of his voice over which I found distracting. I think it would have been more scary not having him comment on everything but seeing it in his facial expressions. Only one scene with his voice over, I thought was good, which was a scene by the end of the film in which he is conflicted with the voices inside his head on whether he should kill or not kill Lennon. Also i thought the film was too short, it could have been 20 minutes more. Overall, it is worth checking out for Jared Leto's performance.
Angel G.
Angel G.

September 16, 2012
It's a little slow, its very controversial, but all-around fascinating. The story relies on Mark David Chapman, a Beatles fan, who is obsessed about meeting John Lennon, thinks only about meeting him, waits for him, writes about him in bibles, and even makes people wait to see John Lennon. Jared Leto, who plays John Lennon's killer gives a committed, strongly creepy and chilling performance. It takes a lot of courage to gain weight to make yourself look like the real Mark David Chapman, and Jared Leto superbly pulled it off. In the film there are supporting actors like Lindsay Lohan and Judah Friedlander who don't really have that much screen time, also because the movie is really short, but they both still perform very well. In parts their are very creepy and well-directed images about what he is planning, and some scenes he is talking to his mind or himself, and you can feel his anxiety, insanity and desperation, which gives very cold chills. Overall, Beatles fans won't really love it, not only its controversy, but it might hurt them also, but Chapter 27 is a fascinating, creepy and smart look at Mark David Chapman's life, followed by a hunting and strong performance from Jared Leto (also great performances from Lindsay Lohan and Judah Friedlander, even if they had small roles), amazing direction from Jarrett Schaeffer and its cold ending. The movie will leave you with chills every time you think of Leto's performance.
Yinalí R

January 19, 2008
Didn't like it. Wasn't well made. Jared Leto's acting is really good, but the plot was horrible.
Mike T

April 6, 2008
This is a heavily flawed, try-hard movie that I really wanted to love. Every aspect of the movie has flashes of something really exciting and powerful, but overall it's a hit and miss venture. The frequent homages to Taxi Driver are cool to see, and Leto's physical devotion to the character is impressive. As much as I hate to say it, his performance is a different story. Like the rest of the movie, his acting feels try-hard. As an actor, I really enjoy some of Leto's work, but this just felt like a shallow and uninspired attempt to get an Oscar nomination.
Alec B

April 1, 2008
Quite a strange film, Chapter 27 tells the story of the days leading up to John Lennon's murder at the hands of Mark David Chapman. Jared Leto (in is now infamous weight gaining role) is very good as Chapman. By no means is it a great history making performance, but it is good. If the film has one big flaw, and it does, the film feels like only a piece of a much larger story, it is, but I felt that to understand Chapman and why he did what he did we need so much more. Or if not to understand him at least to get some faint grasp of who this man was. We get a small image in the film, but it felt like the climax of a much larger story. Still it is worth seeing for what it is and for Leto's performance, also good is Judah Friedlander in a small supporting role, and Lindsay Lohan, surprisingly, isn't so bad herself (she gets the job done in a small amount of screen time).Works as a very small study of the thin line between a obsessive fan or someone who is really dangerous.
Laurence C

August 9, 2009
One static, self-satisfied excuse for a film. Chapter 27 gives no answers and asks no questions, preferring to lull us into the mind of a psychopath with its shallow narration and a grim visual treatment. Built around Leto's impressive physical transformation but hardly affecting performance, Jarrett Schaeffer's film eventually begs us to ask ourselves if there is any point to the proceedings. After 80 minutes of pure nothing, which finds no cinematic inventivy whatsoever to speak of and is sided with a performance by a Lohan in sleepwalking mode, you'll come to the conclusion that nope, there isn't any point to Chapter 27.
Remi L

April 25, 2009
Interesting film role for Jared Leto
KeepGuessing
KeepGuessing

March 31, 2009
Passion, when focused and guided, brings about the best in those who fuel it through idealistic pursuits. But once passion turns into obsession, it causes nothing except suffering and misery.

Through Chapter 27, this point is strikingly exemplified. In the film, director Jarrett Schaeffer recounts how Mark David Chapman's (played by Jared Leto) obsession over the late John Lennon insidiously spiraled into insanity; leading him to murder one of the most cherished musical prodigies of all time.

Through straight - forward scenes interjected with random and abrupt surrealism, Schaeffer tells Chapman's untold story of how a lonely outcast, desperately trying to seek solace in the world, finds meaning in the bleakness of life through the music and lyrics of The Beatles. Alas, for Chapman, this was all tragically thrown asunder after Lennon leaves the band. With his fragile mind slowly and constantly distressed with loss, abandonment and bitter rage, he ultimately snaps and decides to kill Lennon.

As a story, Chapter 27, simply put, was concise. Obviously based from the newspaper articles and police reports which documented Lennon's murder, the film progressed in a very linear, almost boring manner. If it weren't for Leto's eerie and superb narration of Chapman's rants and ramblings, along with the scenes where in he was succumbing to his delusions, I would've enjoyed the film far less.

If only Schaeffer decided to give this film more depth, maybe by allowing the characters portrayed by Lindsey Lohan and Judah Friedlander to develop as the film unfolded, I personally think this movie would've been so much better.

Even though, it's still worth seeing, if only to see how the selfish delusions of a poor madman deprived the generations that came of John Lennon.
Haley A

June 4, 2007
As much as I want to love this film, it's just too much of a mess to allow me to do so. Following Mark David Chapman around for the three days prior his killing of John Lennon should be much more interesting and intriguing that this turned out to be. Jared Leto makes an amazing transition from his usual "pretty boy" roles to the awkward, creepy psychopath; it almost parallels De Niro's in "Raging Bull". His performance is the only thing that can pull you to watch the entire film, as well as a nice supporting, but small role from Lindsay Lohan. The script is really dull, and needed a lot of work. I also felt like the writers and directors weren't sure how to make this film. It's like somebody wanted to do a documentary "day-in-the-life-of" style, another person wanted to do an artsy indie film, and another wanted to do a psychological thriller. The mesh of those doesnt' work so well, because it's makes the film really unbalanced. The parallelism to "Catcher In The Rye" was a good aspect of the film, and it should've been played on a lot more. Overall, it's an interesting film due to Leto's transformation and performance, but needed a lot of to make it a great film.
Jason R

July 5, 2008
Jared Leto gives one of the best performances I have ever seen, he delves into the mind of Mark David Chapman, and eerily becomes the man who shot John Lennon. Outstanding performance by Leto, the film itself is heart wrenching as you witness one of the worlds greatest musicians and activists taken way before his time.
Lee K

June 11, 2008
Not as bad as everyone says it was. I give alot of credit to Jared leto for portraying such a realistic picture of this wack job! Apparently gaining 67 lbs for the role. I have been reading that Chapman has pics of lindsay lohan all over his cell in attica so lets hope he never gets out! The movie couldve been shorter leaving alot of the "taxi driver" sense i was getting from it.