—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past Reviews

Alice S

January 5, 2014
Clever re-telling of Dickensian morality tale. Attractive and endearing cast and sweet message of love and forgiveness.
Anthony L

January 30, 2012
A dreadful film that will have Charles Dickins spinning in his grave no doubt. How can you even have Ghosts of people who aren't even dead? There is nothing good about this film, it's insulting to even call it a chick flick unless you are a stupid women with very little self respect.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

October 30, 2011
Not the worst romantic comedy I have ever seen and it did make me laugh out loud at certain points, but in the end we are dealing with a genre that we as an audience know better than our own reflections. We know the Dickens tale just as well, so combining the two gave very few surprises and I feel with the rom com genre, surprises in an otherwise stagnant movie are what set them apart from the crowd. McConaughey was, well he was himself, just as the cameo from Douglas and the watery semi-presence of Garner. Still it was watchable and gave what it said it would - teary eyes, lessons learned and a whole lot of promiscous and vaccuous sexual innuendo.
Leigh R

October 6, 2011
A little bit on the boring and slow side, but it kept me entertained enough to watch the whole movie.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Nice little romantic comedy. Expected better but it wasn't all that bad. Some scenes were funny and it's a little more than your average chick flick. It did at times, pull at the heartstrings and make you smile.
Julie B

April 14, 2011
Agree with Ed. Cheese.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 2, 2011
I didnt really enjoy this movie, but I will say it had a few funny parts in the flashback scenes.
Dean !

April 17, 2010
It's a mix of Scrooge but with girlfriends! Nice idea, ok cast it has a few laughs along the way. Not really anything memorable or makes it stand out from all the other Rom-Coms.
3niR
3niR

February 25, 2010
Watchable.
Spencer S

August 4, 2010
It's sad that the screenwriters of The Hangover wrote this. I have no sympathy for Matthew, but much for Jennifer, as she must have been mislead.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
i actually thought this was a good movie. yes, it was cliche and predictable and this movie has been done before and it's been done better. it is funny though and has a good message to it. B-
movieguru12
movieguru12

September 21, 2009
A really cute movie & I loved the parts that had Mikey in them lol. :) Matthew was a great actor of course & I loved Jennifer Garner's role as well :) Loved it!!!!! :)
Alexis N

July 6, 2010
it's a christmas carol with ex-girlfriends. kinda cute.
Jani H

June 10, 2010
"Spooning is nice.
- Yeah. But not as nice as forking."

Mark Waters, the director of the film, does have a past full of cheesy, predictable films, like 'Freaky Fridday', and 'Just Like Heaven'. He has also directed a fantasy film 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' and a good teen comedy in 'Mean Girls'. Now comes his biggest mistake of his career, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past'.

Connor Mead is a famous photographer that changes girls like shirts. He has no respect for women but nevertheless the women are crazy of him. What does that tell us? Women are stupid? Mead's brother is about to get married. During the wedding rehearsals he is visted by a ghost that shows him his past, present and future. Will this change him to become a better man?

I'm pretty sure that Charles Dickens is screamin' at this moment. This film tries to fit the main idea from his A Christmas Carol to become a somewhat original romantic comedy. It just happens to fail miserably. From the beginning, Connor Mead (Matthew McConaughey) is presented as a obnoxious man. And that is what he is. All he can think about is himself. No ghost will ever change that. The rest of the characters are unoriginal stereotypes that are totally underdeveloped.

What was the idea with this movie? Are people really that stupid that these kinds of films really get an audience? If you think of the comedic elements of this movie, there are very few. And the romance? What women would fall in love in a guy who is known of fuckin' any women he can get his hands on? What does this tell of the screenwriters thoughts about women?

The only thing good about this movie is Michael Douglas and the character he plays. He steals every scene he is in. McConaughey still can't act and neither can the rest of the cast. Avoid.
Nani V

April 27, 2009
I saw this lastnight after flipping through the channels, I decided, hey why not? It's something I can watch alone without having to torture the bf with. It was typical and nothing new or exciting, but watchable. I loved Jen in it and found Matthew to be Matthew.
Nicki M

April 25, 2009
Average. Matthew McConaughey is at his most unappealing here, playing a character who's one up from a cockroach. I found myself NOT wanting Jennifer Garner's character to get together with him, and then ...SPOILER...although not much of one, because anyone with half a brain cell could see where this one was heading - hoping she got him sent off for every blood test available when she did take him back. Emma Stone is cringeably funny as the Ghost of Girlfriend Past with her bad 80's get up. Typical chick flick probably best saved for DVD.
Crash E

November 26, 2009
wonderful ...and so true
Stuart B

October 8, 2009
Rubbish chick flick garbage that is churned out dime a dozen by hollywood. Stop it now!
deano
deano

April 26, 2009
Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner are good chemistry in this romantic-comedy alike A Christmas Carol film as such as it's real fun.
The film used Charles Dickens as a clever vehicle for its plot and it worked for me anyway. I am not saying the film is a classic but it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and I definitely would recommend it to people I know. I thought that the acting was terrific and the characters were well developed. I think the film is definitely worth seeing.
I see actresses Garner and Christa B. Allen are back again as the adult and teenage Jenna like they did since Suddenly 30.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 29, 2009
I thought it was funny. Liked Matthew and Jen together. Thought they had good chemistry.