Five Favorite Films with Craig Ferguson

The star of How to Train Your Dragon loves watching Nazis get killed.

Craig Ferguson

Craig Ferguson is a man of many talents. He's been, among other things, a milkman, a bouncer, a punk rock drummer, a standup comedian, an author, an actor, and, most prominently, the host of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. His latest gig is in the CGI adventure How to Train Your Dragon, as the voice of Gobber, a Viking warrior who offers instruction in the fine art of dragon slaying. In an interview with RT, Ferguson shared some of his favorite movies, and discussed late-night TV and his wild job history -- all the while employing more salty language than one usually expects when discussing a kids movie.

Inglourious Basterds (2009, 89% Tomatometer)
Inglourious Basterds Right now, at the moment, I would say Inglourious Basterds. Come on, how can you go wrong? "Killin' Nazis" to the sound of good music? There's nothing wrong with that. You know, it's got a great bad guy in the movie, I love Quentin Tarantino, and it's "killin' Nazis." It's the best thing you can do in a movie. So I love that.

Night of the Hunter (1955, 98% Tomatometer)
Night of the HunterLet's see, what other movies do I like... Night of the Hunter. It's a great movie, with Robert Mitchum doing that kind of creepy voice [mumbles]. I really love that movie.

Run Lola Run (1999, 92% Tomatometer)
Run Lola RunRun Lola Run is a movie that I really love. It's very much of its time. I watched it recently, and it's kind of funny; it doesn't age that well, but I loved it at the time. And I did a movie around the same time called Saving Grace. Run Lola Run won Sundance the year before us, and then we won at Sundance for Saving Grace -- we won the Audience Award -- and I remember thinking, "Oh my God!" You know, I can't believe that we would even be in the same league. That's when Sundance had movies and stuff -- before, like, f---ing drink commercials or whatever the f--- they do, some kind of Hollywood ski vacation. But I really loved Run Lola Run. It had a really nice feel to it.

The Name of the Rose (1986, 72% Tomatometer)
The Name of the RoseThe Name of the Rose. That's a cool movie. You got Sean Connery, you got a detective story, you got a bit of gay monk sex. Can't go wrong with that. If you're Scottish and you don't like Sean Connery movies, there's something f---in' wrong with you. Actually, if you're human and you don't like Sean Connery movies, there's something wrong with you.

Carry on Screaming! (1966, No Tomatometer Score)
Carry on Screaming! Another movie I really like is Carry on Screaming! For my money, it's the best of the Carry On movies. It has Dan Dann the Lavatory Man, and also [chuckles] Oddbod and Oddbod Junior, the two monsters.

RT: For Americans who don't understand the appeal of the Carry On films, could you sum it up for us?

CF: Yeah -- dirty jokes and breasts.

Next, Ferguson explains why he's a different kind of late-night host, and why he loves the U.S.A.

Comments

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Great list from a really cool guy. I don't think any of those movies have been on a list before, so YAHOO for originality, and throwing out what's in his heart without trying to seem artsy.

And Basterds gets a shout-out so soon? Awesome!

Mar 23 - 05:12 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Epic list. Epic guy.

Mar 23 - 05:46 PM

Jake007

Jake Sundstrom

I'd like to meet this guy. What a cool dude.

Mar 23 - 06:04 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Craig Ferguson is the man.
His show never fails to be funny, and with all of his bullsh*t he still has the time to introduce some intellectual discussion.
I'm on a fence with this movie. It could be good or it could be bad. It's Dreamworks, hence it could be either or. We shall see how it is. =]
-anDy

Mar 23 - 06:20 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Craig Ferguson is the man.
-anDy

Mar 23 - 06:24 PM

Earman

Christopher Beckham

Great list. Run Lola Run was a great movie. Haven't seen any of the Carry On flicks but they sound fun.

Mar 23 - 06:27 PM

iakobos

J Taylor

Craig Ferguson is the only, I repeat only, light night comedian I'll watch. He's consistently funny and he loves America. What more could you ask for?

Mar 23 - 06:33 PM

JOANNE O.

JOANNE OWENS

anyone see the Toxic Avenger?

Mar 23 - 06:45 PM

That guy

That Guy

yeah

Mar 23 - 10:21 PM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

Sigh. When will we get a Favorites List without the phrase "gay monk sex?"
What is that, Hollywood's new buzz phrase??

Mar 23 - 06:59 PM

Film Ninja

Toronto Dog

No kidding. "Gay Monk Sex Movies" might as well become its own genre, like "Comic Book Superhero Movies" did in the 2000s.

Mar 24 - 02:51 PM

Matt L.

Matt Lubisich

um lestat, how often have you seen gay monk sex in these things?

Mar 23 - 07:32 PM

steve s.

steve smith

finally not a bunch of phony krap.....funny stuff ..... i will for sure
pay more attention to craig ferguson

Mar 23 - 09:35 PM

rander c.

rander col

Mar 23 - 09:46 PM

JimmyHill

joel souza

DEFINITELY read this guy's books. Ferguson is like part Johnny Carson and part Kurt Vonnegut. Between the Bridge and the River is one of the best novels I've ever read. so strange and profane and touching and did I mention strange? Just finished his autobiography American on Purpose. Great stuff. Has a fantastic line about violence, and how it just seems to take on a life of its own when its happening: "Violence, in any form, is like having sex with a gorilla-- you ain't done til the gorilla's done." Great!!!

Mar 23 - 10:21 PM

That guy

That Guy

yeah

Mar 23 - 10:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I can't say I watch his show too much, since I can't help but to compare it to Letterman, but he's okay. Definatley better than talentless hacks like Carson Daily and Jimmie Kimmel. His picks, are great. "Carry On", is GREATNESS.

Mar 23 - 10:26 PM

TheArshMan

arshi rai

Nice List, Ferguson can be extremely hilarious.

Mar 24 - 12:10 AM

bribios

brian wilson

Best damn comic on TV. Keep trying to get tickets to his show though and it never happens. I think Craigs said he goes to rottentomatoes now and then, so if you are reading this, GIVE ME SOME TICKETS YOU ****ER!!!

Mar 24 - 01:30 AM

debb17055

Debra Blosnich

bribios,
I saw his live stand up show almost two years ago and it was one of the best Saturday nights I have ever enjoyed in my life. Everyone in town was excited to see the show and we were not disappointed. In fact it made the two hour ride home that much more enjoyable that we could discuss how much fun we had. I hope you get to experience such a "It%u2019s a Wonderful Night" also. I couldn't help but throw in one of his priceless musical openings to his TV Show, say hey, I love you. Thanks to Craig, I now know who Michael Franti is.
He even made me like Simon Cowell and Brittney Spears. YouTube those clips, they are f***ing hilarious!

Mar 26 - 01:08 AM

debb17055

Debra Blosnich

bribios,

Mar 26 - 01:09 AM

The Stunner

Tiago Paulo

i don't think he is the funniest. but not an average list, so: clap clap clap clap...

Mar 24 - 06:39 AM

Brainstew

Doug Q

The Name of the Rose was excellent, I never thought I would see it on a celeb top 5 list.

Mar 24 - 09:08 AM

...

........ .......

His show is the only late night talk show I watch... Letterman used to be funny, but the only laughs he's gotten out of me as of late were pity laughs. So I just stick to Ferguson. I read his autobiography and it's one of the best I've read... he's very honest and raw.

Nice list by the way.

Mar 24 - 10:42 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday