How to Train Your Dragon Reviews

½ December 26, 2014
A charming, likeable animated story concerning an insecure boy (voiced by Jay Baruchel) who forms an unlikely friendship with a dragon named Toothless after being tasked with capturing one as the last step to becoming a man. The thing that makes this movie so special is its fearlessness and willingness to take big risks that do not fall into the cookie-cutter norm that we have come to accept with some animated films. Because of this, it possesses a degree of unpredictability which proves to be original and much more enjoyable. The voice acting is terrific, and the action scenes are fun and the film's versatility to all age ranges cannot go unnoticed. This is a stellar, near-perfect film.
½ December 5, 2014
Riveting and visionary tale that gives new life to DreamWorks Animation SKG. How to Train Your Dragon has crisp animation and a compelling story, which helps justify this film to be ranked one of the top animated films for DreamWorks (as well as top animated films of all time). 4.5/5
MeetMeinMontauk
July 9, 2013
An allegory for how to get along with any animal. Especially cats.
June 18, 2014
How to Train Your Dragon not only creates a vibrant and luscious world, it develops its characters and its subject matter in such a spectacular way that adults and children alike can enjoy it. After watching this movie, I can't imagine anyone would not want to have a pet dragon, especially one like Toothless.
March 27, 2010
Dreamworks was always one step behind Pixar when it came to animation, until now. "How To Train Your Dragon" is one of those films that is not only a masterpiece, but when viewed in the theatre, it is something truly has to be seen to be believed. Sure it shares elements of other movies, but what doesn't? As Hiccup, an outsider who is thrown to the side by his father (a Viking/ Dragon slayer), he must prove himself worthy to become a Viking like everyone in his family before him. Once he traps the deadliest dragon in the world, he begins to learn that they are not there to harm them, they are only defending themselves. I must say that I teared up a few times throughout this film, because it is such a beautiful movie. With stunning visuals, a story that will touch your heart, and a script that will have you cheering, "How to Train Your Dragon" is phenomenal.
½ June 22, 2010
A very entertaining animation that benefits from an honest story and great visuals, and approaches its moral lesson with the level of respect that it deserves instead of becoming too cute or preachy - even though the resolution is too easy and makes it lose some of its power.
½ October 26, 2011
Great concept of dragon story.
paul o.
½ December 2, 2012
Humans vs. Jaws vs. Bigger Jaws

Thats basically the story but somehow its an amazing film!
Market Man
½ August 15, 2012
It's funny, touching, and intense. "How to Train Your Dragon" is a great film with a stellar voice cast. Animated features don't get much better than this.
May 19, 2012
Loved it!
February 18, 2012
What a bizarre movie. Not in the sense that its ideas and themes are exactly unique (pacifism instead of mindless violence, no one else has EVER done that!), but in the sense that it's bizarre to see such a heartfelt film being made by Dreamworks. Dreamworks is NOT a bad company, it's just that their work is usually inferior to the Pixar movie that comes out that particular year. This is the only time that Dreamworks has ever REACHED the Pixar Pantheon. And you know what? It's a fantastic film, equally enjoyable for adults as it is for kids. The dragon Toothless is an endearing character, speaking with body language in some kind of bizarre mixture between dog and cat and huge freakin' lizard. But the biggest triumph by far is the ending. I obviously won't say what it is here, but the ending is one of the gustiest things I've seen in a major kid's animated film since the Disney Renaissance. Dreamworks may not have a perfect track record, but this film is certainly a significant boost to that track record.
½ February 22, 2011
Dreamworks is starting to learn from Pixar. To watch a relationship slowly being created between Hiccup and the dragon was extremely entertaining. However, the humor and the dialogue in this movie was borderline awful. Still a lot of fun
½ August 3, 2010
I know this animated film had its faults, including an unrealistic setting and the same father/son dynamic issues that have plagued child faire for who knows how long, but you have to take that in stride. Yes, the Vikings are Scottish, which is ridiculous, but obviously this isn't a real world, as there is a swarm of dragons running around breathing fire and burning down the village. For what it was, it was pretty original, heartwarming, and unbelievably family friendly while still retaining comedy that works for all ages. It's a fantasy story with an original twist, and superb execution, which everyone takes for granted. The story is handled well, the singular hero is an awkward teen overcoming his father, but at the same time he's a brave individual who always has had the values, hopes and dreams of an exceptional person, so though he's seen as weak by the surrounding characters, we the audience always empathize with his plight. DreamWorks is guilty of making disgustingly unoriginal films, starting with the enjoyable and yet bitter Shrek, a film that satirized Disney after DreamWorks' head Jeff Katzenberg was fired from Disney's studios. They went on to make films that mirrored Pixar's but cheaper and less impressive, though recently they have been veering away from giant franchises like Shrek or crap like Over the Hedge and Flushed Away. Nowadays they're turning out hits like Kung Fu Panda and this amazing film. This is up and beyond from anything else they have previously done and it's actually unlike a lot of children films. It doesn't talk down to children, only engages their sense of wonder and astonishment. They can see themselves doing this, living this magical journey, and really that's the kind of films studios should be making, instead of edgy, adult films that stink up the box office and lead to studio's financial slumps. How to Train Your Dragon, though odd to make a sequel, is really the family film we have all been holding our breath for.
Directors Cat
August 16, 2011
The premise was interesting and the film was suprisingly deep. The 3D sequences are really well done and character was really created for the dragons as well as the humans. There was dramatic depth but the only criticism I have is of how much attention was put on these dragons..
½ December 28, 2011
This movie could also be called "The Dragon Whisperer." One of the best animated films in recent years.
½ November 4, 2011
The only way you won't tear up a little during this movie is if you have no soul.
zach l.
½ October 13, 2011
When it comes to animated films this is definitely one of my favorites. Beautiful animation, clever story, and a great score, How to Train Your Dragon is great for any age. Dreamworks did and amazing job on this movie, so amazing I was surprised it wasn't a Pixar film.
October 3, 2011
A spectacular and wildly entertaining action-adventure for the whole family. It`s outragiously funny and epci from start to finish. Ět`s a must-see for everyone, it has lots of action, humor, emotion and alot of heart.
August 19, 2011
How to train your dragon was the first 3D film I saw and because of that I think I was half distracted and also displeased with 3D, but this film still managed to impress me and I enjoyed it very much. The acting was good, the animation excellent as usual. Dreamworks have excelled themselves and this was much better than some of the later Shrek's. I had already read the book so I was suspicious of a film adaptation but this was a very funny enjoyable film. A must for kids, and still very good for adults.
**** 4 Star